LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Would '00 LS cluster bolt up to 98 with no problem?

Old 02-27-05, 08:09 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Would '00 LS cluster bolt up to 98 with no problem?

Well, if you read my earlier thread about my broken Fuel gauge, which can be found here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=152070

You would see the problem I’m having. Therefore, I searched around online and found out its going to cost me around $250 to repair my current cluster. However, after doing some local searching, I found a complete cluster from '98 and a '00 cluster for about the same price as the repair. (Better choice if you ask me)

Now heres my question, If I remember correctly, they *fixed* the boards in (1999 or 2000) in relevance to the "Miles since Refuel" issue. So I would rather get a newer one with the updated circuit board while I’m at it.

So do you guys know if it will bolt straight up to my 98?

(btw, Anyone have a diagram, or removal instructions by any chance??)

Thanks guys!

Last edited by GRAND_LS 4; 02-28-05 at 05:36 PM.
Old 02-28-05, 11:37 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 251 Likes on 198 Posts

I don't know if the 00 cluster will fit but I think the information display in the 98 works slightly differently than in the 99-00.

When you toggle though the modes with the steering wheel button on a 99-00, there is a mode where no information is displayed except the odometer reading. However, on a 98 there is not a "blank" mode -- information (current mpg, miles since refuel, etc.) is always displayed.

Your queston may be one for a Lexus dealer who may have information on whether or not the 99-00 cluster is downwardly compatible to the 98 LS.
Old 02-28-05, 11:51 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Originally Posted by Kansas
I don't know if the 00 cluster will fit but I think the information display in the 98 works slightly differently than in the 99-00.

When you toggle though the modes with the steering wheel button on a 99-00, there is a mode where no information is displayed except the odometer reading. However, on a 98 there is not a "blank" mode -- information (current mpg, miles since refuel, etc.) is always displayed.

Your queston may be one for a Lexus dealer who may have information on whether or not the 99-00 cluster is downwardly compatible to the 98 LS.
I have always wondered why they didn’t have that "Blank Feature". Only problem is, my Lexus dealer would NEVER give out this type of info. (Things get even touchier when it involves ODO readings, which I can understand).

Thanks a lot for the info.
Old 02-28-05, 12:21 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

One more thing... I don't think the instrument cluster circuit boards were necessarily fixed to resolve the "Miles since Refuel" issue even by the end of the 2000 LS400 run. My 00 LS was only 210 from the very end of the run and the TSB still indicated that replacing instrument cluster was the solution to the problem. So, a "new" cluster could still have a problem - no matter from which model year it is from.

I decided not to have the cluster replaced since the problem had happened only once or twice even though my car was still under the basic warranty. Plus, I found out that some who had their cluster replaced still had the Miles since Refuel still occasionally reset itself to zero before refueling. The problem has happened again on my car for at least one year.

Are there tests that can be ran on the fuel gauge circuit? Do you have a repair manual set? I've got a set for my 2000 and can check to see if there is a diagnostic procedure.
Old 02-28-05, 05:31 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Originally Posted by Kansas
One more thing... I don't think the instrument cluster circuit boards were necessarily fixed to resolve the "Miles since Refuel" issue even by the end of the 2000 LS400 run. My 00 LS was only 210 from the very end of the run and the TSB still indicated that replacing instrument cluster was the solution to the problem. So, a "new" cluster could still have a problem - no matter from which model year it is from. I decided not to have the cluster replaced since the problem had happened only once or twice even though my car was still under the basic warranty. Plus, I found out that some who had their cluster replaced still had the Miles since Refuel still occasionally reset itself to zero before refueling. The problem has happened again on my car for at least one year.
Actually, thats AFTER the fix. Before the fix (like mine) It resets a good 2 or 3 times a WEEK.

Are there tests that can be ran on the fuel gauge circuit? Do you have a repair manual set? I've got a set for my 2000 and can check to see if there is a diagnostic procedure.
I wouldn’t know, wish I had invested in a OEM CD manual when it was up on eBay a couple of weeks ago. I would really appreciate if you look up the diagnostic procedure if it’s not too much trouble.

According to the search I have been conducting online, it’s not unheard of to occur on the LS (Never seen it yet on 95+ yet though). Cost of repair is around $250;( about a week turnaourd) hence, a newer cluster at $250 sold here locally would be a better choice. Would you happen to have the removal instructions by the way? Thanks a lot for your help.
Old 03-01-05, 02:45 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

I scanned 8 relevant pages of the 2000 LS repair manuals and hid them on a web site. There are probably 75 - 100 pages that deal with the combination meter. The manuals are difficult to scan since they are so thick, but I think these few pages will give you an idea of what you are dealing with. The bottom of pages BO-85 and top of BO-86 deal with removing the combination meter. Like most other disassembly instructions in the manuals, the instructions are not very detailed. Because of lack of space on this webpage, I can only leave these images out there for a few days - probably through Sunday 03/06/2006.

http://home.kc.rr.com/colchester/lexus/fuel/
Old 03-01-05, 08:48 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Thumbs up

Thank you so MUCH man, Don’t know how to repay you. I finally figured out what was holding the cluster, according to the pages you provided. There are two upper clips that I didn’t see due to their location. I will work on it this Thursday or Friday, and let you guys know the outcome. I have downloaded all the images, so you can take them off now thank you. I can re-host them if anyone wants them.

Thanks a lot, you've been big help!!
Old 03-01-05, 08:49 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

I will also check out the fuel sending unit in the back of the tank soon
Old 03-01-05, 10:08 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Didn't the TSB say just to swap out the control boards in the cluster?
Old 03-07-05, 09:13 AM
LexLS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Blank mode was added in 99 to the cluster. The 99 and 00 cluster would probably fit in your 98, but I don't know if they would work. Instead of risking it I think you should just fix the cluster you have. You can also fully replace the cluster with another 98 cluster but that could have the same problem you have, it will also have a different mileage.

I would be willing to bet that the problem is simply a tiny cap that has gone out of spec. The reason I say its probably a cap is because my 91 developed a fuel gauge problem. I fixed it by finding the bad cap and replacing it, works great now! In fact, most LS clusters are fixed by replacing a few caps on the circuit boards.
Old 03-07-05, 11:45 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Thanks for the info. I figured it was either the cluster, or the sending unit, then everyone told me they fixed these clusters on the 98+ so its most likely a sending unit. Then I remembered when it went out, it didn’t do it at once, it was gradual, and it gave me random figures before it was whipped out, so I thought it must be a mechanical part.

So I ordered a sending unit today through Darrel (he answered my PM in less then 5mins, and was priced 50% less then my dealer ) and hopefully will replace it as soon as I get it.