LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

91 LS400 suspension noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-03, 07:58 PM
kolofai
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 91 LS400 suspension noise

Recently when I drove over the street bump I can hear some noise ( sound like a old spring matteress )from the front suspension. I know my car is old but it only have 44,000km on it. Is it due for the front strut and coil change ? Is there anything I can do to get rid of the noise like grease it.
TIA
Old 12-16-03, 01:59 PM
wolver1ne
Driver School Candidate

Default squeeky

checkout alldata.com
there's a fee but it's cheep and they can tell you about the bushing upgrade on the first gen ls400's look under all the suspension catergories you can, find it's in there.
hope this helps if not....holler back and I'll try again
Old 12-22-03, 05:18 PM
jpcdmd
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I had the same problem on my 93 ls. go over a speed bump slowly straight on and you get a squealing sqeaky noise as the car goes up and down on the suspension, like something needs to be greased. Lexus dealer replaced the sway bar bushings where the bar mounts to the frame, said there was a TSB or something for them and they did away with the rubber and went with a stock polyurethane bushing on the cars that came back to the shop. Haven't had a problem since. Makes sense - the bar rotates within the bushing as both wheels travel up and down.
Old 12-22-03, 05:26 PM
jpcdmd
Advanced

more like a creakinng noise
Old 12-22-03, 05:28 PM
LS4Lexus
Rookie

jpcdmd - How much was it for parts&labor? I have the same issue with my '91 LS, but it seems to only happen in cold weather.
Old 12-22-03, 10:22 PM
jpcdmd
Advanced

parts were less than fifty bucks from the dealer if I recall, it was a couple years ago. Yeah, it only occurred when cold. After driving the car for a while it went away I guess because of the engine heat. They should be simple to replace, probably about ten minutes. Just slide under the car and there should be two brackets with bushings in them that bolt to the subframe crossmember, the bushings encircle the sway bar. I replaced a sway bar on an old volvo, they should all be pretty much the same. You probably dont need to press them out, there is probably a slit in the bushings so you could just slip the bar into them, slide the brackets over the bushings and bolt them back on the frame. Just get on your back with a socket set and you should be good to go. Check with the dealer for details about the newer bushings.
Old 12-23-03, 02:54 AM
persian451
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by jpcdmd
I had the same problem on my 93 ls. go over a speed bump slowly straight on and you get a squealing sqeaky noise as the car goes up and down on the suspension, like something needs to be greased. Lexus dealer replaced the sway bar bushings where the bar mounts to the frame, said there was a TSB or something for them and they did away with the rubber and went with a stock polyurethane bushing on the cars that came back to the shop. Haven't had a problem since. Makes sense - the bar rotates within the bushing as both wheels travel up and down.
now since the bushings are a TSB, how much was labor? does it mean its cheaper or what?
Old 12-23-03, 05:21 PM
jpcdmd
Advanced

don't remember if its cheaper, it was over three years ago that I got it done, and it was among a bunch of other stuff I had done to the car. All I remember was that it was those bushings causing the noise, that Lexus had upgraded the part quality at some time, and that it didn't take long to replace them, at the dealer probably ten or fifteen minutes at most. I'd do it myself if I had to get it done again.
Old 01-09-04, 06:14 AM
lexusguy
Driver School Candidate

I have the same problem on my '93. I took the sway bar bushings off and greased them. Not for a permanent solution but to see if this was the problem. I still have the creak, groan when the suspension moves up and down so that was probably not the problem. I guess I will have to look at control arm bushings next.
Old 01-10-04, 08:28 PM
cutecboy
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by jpcdmd
don't remember if its cheaper, it was over three years ago that I got it done, and it was among a bunch of other stuff I had done to the car. All I remember was that it was those bushings causing the noise, that Lexus had upgraded the part quality at some time, and that it didn't take long to replace them, at the dealer probably ten or fifteen minutes at most. I'd do it myself if I had to get it done again.
SO I CAN LOOK INTO MY LEXUS REPAIR MANUEL AND FIND WHERE THE SWAY BAR BUSHING IS? BECAUSE MY CAR HAS THE SAME SYMPTOMS AND I AM SICK OF IT.. AND I REALLY NEED TO FIX IT.. THIS IS WHY I NEED TO KNOW EXACTLY THE LOCATION OF THEM.. HAVE ANY IDEAS? MAYBE POST SOME PICTURE OF WHERE IT IS?

THANKS SO MUCH
Old 01-13-04, 07:17 PM
lexusguy
Driver School Candidate

If you take the large plastic piece off that is under the front of the car, from the bottom of the bumper towards the rear (several screws and a few bolts) you will be able to see the sway bar. It is held by 2 metal brackets with rubber inserts. Just undo the two bolts on each bracket and take the rubber out. Check to see how worn the rubber is.
Old 01-21-04, 10:52 AM
persian451
Lexus Test Driver

all you have to do is jack up the car? Or could I do this while the car is ona ramp, not a lift? because it seems like from what I've heard, you can just undo the bolts of the sway bar while car is parked and push in new bushings
Old 01-21-04, 10:52 AM
persian451
Lexus Test Driver

and one mroe thing, does anyone have pictures of this?
Old 01-21-04, 08:45 PM
lexusguy
Driver School Candidate

You can do this with the car on ramps. Sorry I did not take pictures. Once you get the plastic pan off the bottom of the car it's real easy to see the bushings. You don't actually take the sway bar off, just the clamps that hold the bushings. Very easy.
Old 01-21-04, 09:21 PM
persian451
Lexus Test Driver

a picture would be really nice if someone could indicate which clamps, because I dont want to end up taking off something i cant put back on

Quick Reply: 91 LS400 suspension noise