LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

"Airbag" and "door open" lights not illuminating

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-03, 11:29 AM
Shaffer
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Airbag" and "door open" lights not illuminating

Just today I noticed that the "airbag" and "door open" lights are not illuminating on my 90 LS400. Owners manual states it could be a bad bulb or a bad circuit. I figure since the "airbag" light only stays on for 6 seconds (as owners manual states), that it is unlikely that bulb is blown. I know my car has never had a deployed airbag. Since this light is not working, does it mean my airbag would not work if I crashed? Owners manual states that if the lights do not illuminate- "take to Lexus dealer for service". Could this simply be a bad fuse? I plan to check it a little later this evening. Thanks for any information.
Old 11-26-03, 11:36 AM
Shaffer
Pole Position

Seems unusual. I searched this forum and seen several posts about the airbag light not going off, but none about it not working. Does anyone else have a LS400, that the airbag light does not illuminate on? Any other warning lights on your car not working? All others on mine work. Even the cluster still still illuminates perfectly, as well as the "LCD" display- which seems unusual considering all of the complaints on other cars that has the problem. I would think my 90 LS, with 225K would have the problem- I guess I am lucky- at least for now. Thanks again for any information.
Old 11-26-03, 04:17 PM
Shaffer
Pole Position

Oh no.... It looks like another one of those "its only a problem on my cars" kind of problem.
Old 11-26-03, 10:31 PM
Strida
Rookie

Originally posted by Shaffer
Oh no.... It looks like another one of those "its only a problem on my cars" kind of problem.

LOL! pretty much

My guess is the airbag needs servicing. Even though the airbag has not deployed in 13 years, I think it needs check up every 7 yrs for it to function properly. But it may just be a bad circuit somewhere.
Old 11-27-03, 01:07 PM
Shaffer
Pole Position

Thanks. Hopefully it is not the actual light, or circuit, as I think that would be costly. Hopefully it is a fuse. I am going to check it if it stops raining.
Old 11-27-03, 08:39 PM
Shaffer
Pole Position

Someone on the Toyota forums said on all Toyota/Lexus cars that there is a fuse under the hood for the airbags. I checked the fuses under the hood and did not see anything listed "airbag" or anything that sounded like it would be the airbag. I plan to check the fuse under the instrument panel tomorrow.

I have searched and searched these forums and it looks like I am the ONLY one with the NON-ILLUMINATING airbag light. Unless there are others and no one cares about it like I do. It is very frustrating. Thanks again.

Last edited by Shaffer; 11-27-03 at 08:41 PM.
Old 11-27-03, 09:21 PM
spxChrome
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

See my post to the other question. Now it really sounds like a courtesy light switch problem in the door. Fairly easy problem to fix and the switches cost $16.00. But you do have to remove the seat belt cover on the door panel to replace the switch. Let me know if this is the problem and I can you a part number.

And you have to be carefull with this and get it fixed soon as you can or it will run down your battery. Just remember to turn of the dome light because the switch will come and go.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/att...&postid=521189

Last edited by spxChrome; 11-27-03 at 09:24 PM.
Old 11-27-03, 09:52 PM
Shaffer
Pole Position

Thanks. I think I remember reading your other post about this.

Is the door open sensor and dome light work off of the same button? Just wondering, as my dome lights work when any door is opened and goes off when the door it shut. It is just the light on the dash itself that will not illuminate, nor does the "AIRBAG" light. Thanks again for the information.
Old 11-27-03, 09:54 PM
spxChrome
Lead Lap

If the dome light is working in correspondence with the door then the switch is probally not the problem. Is it sporatic or does it never work in the dash?
Old 11-27-03, 09:57 PM
Shaffer
Pole Position

I do not think I have ever seen it illuminated on the dash, but I have only had the car for a week. Also, I have never noticed the "AIRBAG" light. I started checking the lights the other day when I noticed it. The non-illuminating "airbag" light concerns me more than anything. I am going to check the under dash fuse tomorrow. Thanks again.
Old 11-27-03, 10:07 PM
spxChrome
Lead Lap

Just out of curiosity is your TEMP/AC Climate control faceplate blacked out? (has nothing to do with the current topic)

Last edited by spxChrome; 11-27-03 at 10:08 PM.
Old 11-27-03, 10:14 PM
Shaffer
Pole Position

Are you referring to the "LCD" display above the climate control buttons?

If so, no- they are not blacked out at all. It still works perfectly, with no blackening (for now). Also, my instrument cluster lighting works perfectly as well. All of the needles and numbers still have all lights working brightly. I found this odd, as it seems like a common problem on many LS400s.
Old 11-27-03, 10:19 PM
spxChrome
Lead Lap

Yes, that is why I was wondering. Maybe the previous owner really took care of the car if these problems have already been fixed. I have never heard of one 1st gen LS that the LCD didn't go out in. How much do you know about the car? How many miles?
Old 11-27-03, 10:23 PM
Shaffer
Pole Position

It has 225,500 miles, so it has quite a few on it. I know it was a 1-owner car, originally a Florida car, then they moved to Kentucky, then here to Tennessee. I have heard that the southeastern and west coast LS400s seem to have less of a problem with the "LCD" and instrument cluster lights- because the temperatures are not as harsh. It is possible that it has already been repaired, but from the looks of the dash (screws in the cluster panel) it looks to have never been removed, but I do not know for sure. Perhaps I have one that is an exception. Thanks agian.
Old 11-28-03, 08:23 AM
spxChrome
Lead Lap

Mine also came from Florida (W Palm Beach) and it had to be repaired. With that many miles I am sure it has probally been repaired arlready. You can tell by any screws if it has been replaced. You get to the LCD by taking out the Gear Shift Cover. I replaced mine about a couple of months ago. Hope you get everything worked out on your new ride. I remember when I first got my LS and I was on this board everyday with multiple questions. I think for a time people thought I had the biggest piece of junk because I was asking so many questions. Now I have it fixed up the way I like it and all is good.

So, I know what you are going through and let me know if you have any other questions about your ride and I will be glad to help. I even have access to alldata dyi for this model car so if you need any tech info I can help you out there also.

Quick Reply: "Airbag" and "door open" lights not illuminating