LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Can I get some input on this LS400 I am thinking of purchasing

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-03, 09:56 PM
gandv2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I get some input on this LS400 I am thinking of purchasing

I am new to the board and really have found it to be a most valuable source of info!!

I have struck up a tentative deal with a gentleman (private owner - not a dealer) on a 1990 LS400 2nd owner . Nice car but a few cosmetic issues externally (small door dings and a few minor scrapes on the rear bumper facia). Interior is excellent and everything fuctions as it should. It is a pitiful burgundy color with a beige interior, nakamichi audio, traction control, and air suspension. Car has 1 non-functioning air shock so the car is almost touching the ground on left side (found a price online for 875 for one ouch!!) . I also found through this board a company (strutmasters) that offers a coilover conversion for 775 which I believe would be the best route to go (opinions welcome on this decision). The guy wanted 2200 for the car like it sits and I offerd him 1850 and he agreed to accept my offer. Ran a CARFAX and the car came back clean and a 2nd owner car just like the seller said. Car has 178000 miles. Opinions and suggestions welcome and appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Old 11-08-03, 10:16 PM
wdlugitch
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I am not sure if you bought it or are contemplating buying it, but if I were you I would see if the owner will permit you to take it to your local dealer and have them tell you everything that has been done (according to their computer) and needs to be done. It sounds like a good deal.........too good to be true and maybe isn't.
Old 11-09-03, 11:01 AM
Shaffer
Pole Position

Default Re: Can I get some input on this LS400 I am thinking of purchasing

I also live in Tennessee and have also been considering to buy a dark burgundy (not my favorite color at all) 1990 LS400. The car I am considering has 225K and they (dealer) are asking $3995. It has an occasional miss at idle, which is why I haven't bought it, as I think this is too much money for a 90 model, with 225K, with a miss.

The price you mentioned on the Lexus you mentioned seems like a excellent deal- if it is in good running condition. Too bad that suspension is so costly. I think the one I am considering does not have the air suspension- which is one good thing.
I would say buy it for $2200. if that is what he wants for it. I would say it is worth that.
If something happens you do not want it- let me know, as I may be interested in the car if it is not too far away.

Good luck.

Originally posted by gandv2
I am new to the board and really have found it to be a most valuable source of info!!

I have struck up a tentative deal with a gentleman (private owner - not a dealer) on a 1990 LS400 2nd owner . Nice car but a few cosmetic issues externally (small door dings and a few minor scrapes on the rear bumper facia). Interior is excellent and everything fuctions as it should. It is a pitiful burgundy color with a beige interior, nakamichi audio, traction control, and air suspension. Car has 1 non-functioning air shock so the car is almost touching the ground on left side (found a price online for 875 for one ouch!!) . I also found through this board a company (strutmasters) that offers a coilover conversion for 775 which I believe would be the best route to go (opinions welcome on this decision). The guy wanted 2200 for the car like it sits and I offerd him 1850 and he agreed to accept my offer. Ran a CARFAX and the car came back clean and a 2nd owner car just like the seller said. Car has 178000 miles. Opinions and suggestions welcome and appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Old 11-09-03, 06:15 PM
GA400
Lead Lap

Default you can convert air to standard

in this post https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=96181 kamtra discusses how he converted air struts to non-air;

quote; The non air LS has a strut with a coil spring around it that has a top plate...like every other car. The only catch with the air to non air conversion is that when you take the air strut off there is no top plate to mount a standard strut to. The top plate is the round disk that the top of the strut screws to and holds the top of the coil spring down. If you were to go to the local auto parts store and buy a non-air LS spring and strut, you would still need to buy a top plate as well. The plate from a store is about $100. Not worth it considering you need one for each strut. However, I was able to find a non-air LS in a salvage yard and I bought the entire set of strut/springs/plates (you take each strut/spring/plate off as a unit by taking off the three mounting bolts at the strut tower, and the bottom control arm bolt- the only way to take the top plate off is if you compress the springs). I paid $50 for each corner- $200 for the whole set. I figured that that if the struts were worn out I'd replace them a few months down the road. Fortunately for me, they were still good. Now that I have the top plates I can order high end adjustable coilover shocks....I just wanted to be sure that if I ordered the non-air LS shock replacement that it would fit in my air car. It does and I'm happy.

I bought OEM Leus struts last year for about $60 each, had them installed for a couple of hundred dollars.

Good Luck!
Old 11-09-03, 08:57 PM
gandv2
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks for the advice.

Thanks for the useful information. I really appreciate the advice.
Old 11-10-03, 06:46 AM
rybikowsky
Driver

It sounds to me as if you told the man you would buy the car. That does not sound tenative to me. At the price the car is worth that for parts. You can find a used strut at car graveyards for little money, The suggestions about switching over to reg suspension sounds like the way to go.
Old 11-12-03, 08:40 PM
Shaffer
Pole Position

Did you end up purchasing the car?
Old 11-12-03, 09:04 PM
gandv2
Driver School Candidate

Default Got the Car!!!

Yes i got the car Monday, my new struts arrived in the mail today!!! Hope to be driving by the weekend. Very pleased with it. Found numerous receipts from Lexus dealer where the power steering pump, alternator, water pump, timing belt, throttle contol sensor, and several other parts had been replaced about 8000 miles ago. It just needs a good detailing and a few door dings / scratches etc. repaired. Man what a car. Sat in it for an hour Monday when I got it home checking all the cool stuff out.
Old 11-12-03, 10:22 PM
5ofakind
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the lap of luxury - owning a Lexus LS-400 - flagship of Toyota ---- ahhh...feels good doesn't it.
Old 11-12-03, 11:04 PM
Shaffer
Pole Position

Thats good news. Glad you got it. Sounds like you got a steal on it. I cannot even find another older 90-93 LS400 around here. Only the 90 LS400, with the engine miss for $3995 and 225K miles.
I think I am buying a low mile 1993 Accord EX wagon, or a 1986 Mercedes 420SEL for now and I will keep a lookout for another LS400. Perhaps a 93-94.
Let us know how the struts work out.
Good luck.

Last edited by Shaffer; 11-12-03 at 11:05 PM.
Old 11-13-03, 07:23 PM
GA400
Lead Lap

Gandv2,

I am glad you got the car. I agree with Rybikowsky, that sounds like a heck of a deal. I am driving a 91 LS400 with over 225,000 miles. They are awesome cars and I am sure you will get many years use out of yours. Welcome to the club! Searching the forum will yield lots of great information. You have some of the best features with traction control and the Nakamichi stereo.
Old 11-16-03, 08:34 PM
gandv2
Driver School Candidate

Default New Strutmaster Struts installed

The struts are in and the car is awesome! Very easy install (with the exception of rear seat removal). One problem I am having is that the ride height light is blinking "normal all the time now". Have the switch in the trunk turned off and everything. Anyone know how to disconnect??

Anyone thinking of replacing the air suspension with strutmasters struts I can tell you it was a breeze and car and handles (for a big ride) great.
Old 11-22-03, 07:54 PM
Shaffer
Pole Position

How much did you pay for the rear struts? Are they factory Lexus struts? Does the car have a very smooth, soft ride? Is the rear seat the only thing in the interior that has to be removed?