LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

What is the gray plug one the lower driver dash around parking brake?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-03, 06:18 PM
Shaffer
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the gray plug on the lower driver dash around parking brake?

The 90 Lexus I am considering has a gray plug, hooked to wires hanging down by the parking brake. What is this plug and it is supposed to be hanging down here in that area? Thanks.

Last edited by Shaffer; 11-05-03 at 03:57 PM.
Old 11-03-03, 08:55 PM
Shaffer
Pole Position

Or I guess another way to put it is: Does anyone else have this gray plug connected to a few wires, hanging down from the left side of the lower dash on their early 90s Lexus? It looks like some sort of diagnostics plug, but I cannot figure out why it is hanging under the dash down by the ER brake, unless they lowered it to test the car and forgot to put it back wherever it goes. Thanks.

Last edited by Shaffer; 11-03-03 at 08:59 PM.
Old 11-03-03, 09:01 PM
LexLS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There is a place to plug in for diagnostics around the area you're talking about. I don't understand why it's "hanging" there, maybe something is connected to it. That's my best guess right now. Pictures always help for this sort of question .
Old 11-03-03, 09:10 PM
Shaffer
Pole Position

Thanks for the reply. The car is at a car lot, so I cannot get any photos of it. I just also thought it was strange that it was hanging down along the back side of the kick panel. I did not know if maybe it was something that could cause a problem or not. As mentioned- it had just left the shop for a tune-up (so they said) and perhaps the mechanics just left it out of a holder, clip, etc. Thanks again.

Last edited by Shaffer; 11-03-03 at 09:26 PM.
Old 11-05-03, 03:54 PM
Shaffer
Pole Position

Does anyone know where I can find more information about this connector? Thanks for any help.
Old 11-06-03, 04:07 PM
5ofakind
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Try the website www.troublecodes.net. Scroll down & click on "Technical - Trouble Codes".. Click on "Lexus Trouble Codes" There you will info on connector.

Good luck,

Jeff
Old 11-06-03, 06:02 PM
Shaffer
Pole Position

Thanks for the reply and the link. The link you posted confirmed that is indeed the diagnostics plug. However, I still do not know if it is designed to be capable to be exposed down below the dash- draped down along side of the ER brake like that. Is it removable from a holder, or did someone have to pull it out with force it down to get it down along that area? I just want to be sure it is not damaged in anyway where is is connected to before/if I purchase the car. I am hoping that it is designed to move around like that. If I can find out if the occasional miss at idle while in gear is a minor problem, I may purchase the car. Thanks again.
Old 11-06-03, 07:37 PM
5ofakind
Driver

The plug is suppose to be mounted under the dash but accessible to plug into for diagnostics.

That miss you are referring to should be taken care of before buying.....Just be cautious....

You buying from car lot or private party ?

Jeff
Old 11-07-03, 09:10 PM
Shaffer
Pole Position

So it is actually designed to be moved down there and not "broken" away from under the dash to get it out?

Yes- I think you or someone replied about the miss. That is what has kept me from buying it. The lot knows I would buy it if not for that and they have my number, so they have obviously not had the car repaired.

The car is at a car lot.

I have found a 1993 Honda Accord LX w/115K (very low miles for an Accord- I have had a couple well over 200K) at the same price, so I am considering buying that car. I am really needing a dependable car ASAP. Both of my daily driver cars are getting high miles and in need of some repairs, but I cannot see putting a lot of $$$ into them. I am also considering a 1997 Toyota Avalon, as well as another 1993 Toyota Camry LE. Now I wish I had of kept my 93 Camry LE V6.

If they call me and tell me that the miss is gone- I may reconsider. I was also worried about that plug though- I wanted to be sure it was something that was not damaged.

Thanks again for the info about the plug.

Originally posted by 5ofakind
The plug is suppose to be mounted under the dash but accessible to plug into for diagnostics.

That miss you are referring to should be taken care of before buying.....Just be cautious....

You buying from car lot or private party ?

Jeff

Last edited by Shaffer; 11-07-03 at 09:12 PM.
Old 11-10-03, 07:28 PM
jetboat
Driver School Candidate

Hi, if the plug is "hanging down" and not in it's proper position, secured in an accessible under dash location with a cap on it, then it's probably because the car has been setting diagnostic codes and someone has pulled it out of it's location to access the connector,it's called DLC1 or data link connector 1. Usually the Dealer is the only one to have the software for the scantool ,but it's possible someone like Snap_on might have the software in the scantool they sell. anyway...this car might have some issues...buyer beware
Old 11-14-03, 09:29 PM
Shaffer
Pole Position

Thanks for the reply. Yes- it was just hanging loosely down along the side panel. I was thinking it was removable. I know it has a occasional miss at idle and they was supposed to have serviced the car. I did not see any "check engine" light illuminated. I will probably not buy it unless they fix the miss in the engine. If I were to buy it, where does this plug go back to? Is there a keeper for it? And again- is it designed to be able to go down there like that without damaging it? Thanks again.
Old 11-17-03, 06:38 PM
jetboat
Driver School Candidate

The diagnostic plug should fit into a recessed hole in the lower cover right above your feet, if there isn't a cover running horizontal from where your air-conditioning duct is(below the steering wheel) then the cover is missing.
Old 11-23-03, 03:06 PM
Shaffer
Pole Position

Thanks Jetboat. I did finally buy this car. The miss was the spark plug wires. Now the car is smooth. I checked that diagnostics plug closely today. That panel is still there and that plug is "resting" there below it. It is supposed to be in that panel, but I guess whoever serviced the car decided that they would take it out of the hole and pull it down for easier access. The plug is long enough to be down that far. I closed the cap that read "diagnostics" and at least put the plug up on the panel a little bit. I may have to remove that panel in order to get that to go back in its proper place. All is well with the car however. These are really great cars.
Old 11-23-03, 04:01 PM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

wow you have some high mileage cars........... OT i know, just saying though
Old 11-23-03, 08:54 PM
Shaffer
Pole Position

True- and all still in perfect running order. The transmission in the Taurus is getting a little tired though- but at 245K what do you expect for a Ford? Goes to show that you cannot go by mileage when considering the reliability of a car. Maintainence is the key. I would rather have a well kept, high mile car, than a poorly kept/abused low mile car. Just my opinion.

Originally posted by EGainer
wow you have some high mileage cars........... OT i know, just saying though

Last edited by Shaffer; 11-23-03 at 08:57 PM.