LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Does Anyone know how to use SmartAccess

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-03, 12:28 PM
MJA1951
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Does Anyone know how to use SmartAccess

I previously expressed some concerns about how SmartAccess works, which I don’t see as an advantage, but was told by a few dealers that at least in the Midwest, all LS 430’s not specially ordered will come with SmartAcess. It not a big deal for me to push a remote button to open the door and put the key the ignition. Wouldn’t you know it when I went to purchase my LS430 Premium with SmartAccess on Friday (Halloween) at the dealer it wouldn’t start. There was a message “Key Not Recognized” and the ignition key would not turn. After about 5 minutes of the salesman playing around, he went and got someone who finally started it, but they did not know what they did to correct it.

No one at the dealership really had any idea how SmartAccess worked. I told the dealer I was not comfortable spending this kind of money on a car that may not start like this and held off on picking up the car. I think Lexus should have trained each dealership before they force this option on us.

In the Midwest, during the Winter, you need to start the car, then either get out to clean the snow off the windows, or if the car is outside for a few hours sometimes go back inside for a few minutes while the car warms up.

Since no one at the dealership knows, I would like some people with SmartAccess to give us their experiences.

The Dealer, said the problem with not starting was the wheel was locked and that’s why the ignition would not turn, which I can understand. He also said when the valet key is used, the dashboard will always display the “Key Not Recognized” message. Anyone know if this is true?

Will the car still run if you start the car and go back inside with the key in your pocket? Or do you have to leave the remote in the ignition?

I know there is some kind of key in the remote that allows you to open the doors, but when the dealer tried to put the key in the ignition, it would not turn. Does anyone know if you can start it with a key if the remote is not recognized? SmartAccess doesn’t seem to be an advantage if there is not some kind of manual backup to start the car.

Does anyone know if it is true the SmartAccess will be on all LS 430’s, or are they just testing the waters to see if it is accepted? My dealer said there are a lot of people with similar concerns and would rather get a car without it.

Sorry this is so long, but hopefully we can get some real life experience, good and/or bad from some SmartAccess owners.
Old 11-01-03, 03:34 PM
sidgriggs
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smart Key

I have the Smart Key and love it!!!! Sorry, your dealer could not help you more--come to Plano, Texas this dealer knows his stuff. I also know this dealer (Plano) has delivered a car that didn't have the Smart Key.
You dealer may have been correct when the ignition would not turn, but there would have also been a message displayed below the speedo/tack which said "check s/t lock". This can be overcome by turning the wheel and pressing in on the ignition at the same time. This is explained on a small black tag that comes with the smart keys called "tips for Handling the Smart Key". And, NO, there is not a key to put into the ignition. It sounds to me as though you only had a problem with the steering/transmission lock--and it is not something associated only with Lexus--I used to have the same problem with my Cadillacs in the eighties.
You just need to give the Smart key another chance--do you know it will also adjust your seat, mirrors, etc for you? Try it again, you will like it.
Old 11-01-03, 04:11 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Hello, I'm sorry you are not happy with the Smartkey. There is a way you can deactivate the Smartkey Access and that is while sitting in the car, reach way under the dashboard with your right hand. There is a small button next to a turn ****. It kind of feels like a valet lock out button from the glove box of our other cars. Anyway, if you push that in, then the key only works like a regular key.

What you might also try is going back to your dealership and having them go over the features on the key (and the car) again with you. This is called a follow up delivery. I do them all the time. There is so much to learn on this car, you cannot possibly learn it all in one sitting. And even though I went to a 3 hour training class for the new LS430, I still learn new stuff every day. I know your first experience with your new car wasn't very pleasant, but give your dealership another shot at it. I'm sure they'll be more than happy to try and make it up to you. Good luck.

Here are the answers to some of your questions, by the way. If you use the Smartkey and turn on the car, then walk away from the car, the engine stays on, but it makes a beeping noise.

Also, you can still use the Smartkey as a regular key in the ignition. You don't have to only use it in your pocket.

I'm not sure about your district, but on the west coast, we have LS's without SmartAccess.

Last edited by AsianGirl007; 11-01-03 at 04:12 PM.
Old 11-01-03, 08:54 PM
Jennifer G

Which dealership in Illinois?
Old 11-01-03, 10:37 PM
carguyay
Rookie

Default YES

I would like to know also. Which dealership in Illinois? Jennifer which dealer are you working with?Larry

Last edited by carguyay; 11-01-03 at 10:39 PM.
Old 11-02-03, 05:21 AM
Brett
Rookie

I have SmartKey and it is awesome, its amazing how quickly you can get used to not using a key. I hope this can shed some light on your questions:

"The Dealer, said the problem with not starting was the wheel was locked and that’s why the ignition would not turn, which I can understand."

--Yes, this has happened to me twice, both times on an inclined driveway, jiggle the steering wheel and the ignition will start

"He also said when the valet key is used, the dashboard will always display the “Key Not Recognized” message. Anyone know if this is true?"

--Im not 100% sure, but I do believe he is correct on this one, the valet key is not a smart key and you still have to hit the buttons to unlock.

"Will the car still run if you start the car and go back inside with the key in your pocket?"

--Yes

"Or do you have to leave the remote in the ignition?"

--No need to put the remote in the ignition in the first place

"Does anyone know if you can start it with a key if the remote is not recognized?"

--The smartkey is able to be put in the inition and you can start it that way, like you have to do for the valet key

"Does anyone know if it is true the SmartAccess will be on all LS 430’s, or are they just testing the waters to see if it is accepted?"

--The dealer I bought mine at Lexus of Tampa Bay had 4 without and 1 with, but the ones without didnt have Mark Lev or nav either.

In short, I love it.

Last edited by Brett; 11-02-03 at 05:23 AM.
Old 01-31-14, 03:56 PM
ozarksbuck
Driver School Candidate

Wink S/T security light

Just want to say thanks for this forum.

I am a newby Lexus owner, 04 430 LS. The darn key would not turn after the battery had died because I left the ignition on. Charged it up and it was one of those deals that I thought it was a battery related issue.

Thanks to this thread on the forum I simply moved the steering wheel and TA DA, I'm rolling again. Thanks!!