Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

killed my footwell lights

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-16, 04:10 PM
Lakersfan
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default killed my footwell lights

in the process if swapping out the interior lights to LED, ive managed to somehow make the footwell lights stop working.

First swapped out the light in the glovebox, and while doing so, touched something I wasn't supposed to and blew the fuse. All interior lights stopped working at this point. But swapped the fuse, and all was well. Went on to do the driver side footwell. Now I believe I tested before hand, and the new light worked when touching the wires together. Well I managed to forget to disconnect the battery again, touched something I wasn't supposed to, and blew the fuse again.

I replaced it today, and all lights are now working except the footwell lights. I'm not sure if I'm getting power to the wire, as I don't have a tester.

Any ideas what might be causing just the footwell lights not to work? I believe all the interior lights are tied together?
Old 01-31-16, 09:20 PM
Lakersfan
Pole Position

Anyone have any suggestions. Anyone?
Old 02-01-16, 11:57 AM
Lakersfan
Pole Position

I replaced the fuse in the engine compartment thats connected to all the interior lights. Also replaced the 1amp fuses connected to the leds.

Still no footwell lights. But the rest of the interior lights work. Im stumped

Anyone?
Old 02-01-16, 03:14 PM
typocl
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

not sure the sequence of events, but have you tried flipping the footwell LED's around? I thought something was broken when I did my LED replacements, then found out that LED's only work when plugged in one way, so flipped it around and it worked.
Old 02-02-16, 11:43 PM
Lakersfan
Pole Position

Originally Posted by typocl
not sure the sequence of events, but have you tried flipping the footwell LED's around? I thought something was broken when I did my LED replacements, then found out that LED's only work when plugged in one way, so flipped it around and it worked.
I was able to get my hands on a volt meter. Not getting any power at all. Its weird. All the other interior lights work fine. Just the footwell lights....
Old 02-26-16, 06:33 AM
Mandrake
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Lakersfan
when touching the wires together. Well I managed to forget to disconnect the battery again, touched something I wasn't supposed to, and blew the fuse again.

I replaced it today, and all lights are now working except the footwell lights. I'm not sure if I'm getting power to the wire, as I don't have a tester.

Any ideas what might be causing just the footwell lights not to work? I believe all the interior lights are tied together?
It sounds like you need to stop before you cause some major wiring issues in your car. You haven't said what you're really doing but it sounds like you're doing more than replacing bulbs, maybe hacking up wires? I'm not trying to be condescending but I don't think you realize how much damage faulty wiring can cause.

1. Before you start, you'll need a digital multimeter. You can't do this safely without it because you won't know if a circuit is live.
  2. Always disconnect the battery if you're working with battery +12v and not switched +12v.
  3. Know the amps and volts of the new light. Newer ECU's monitor the resistance in the circuit. If you install an LED that draws less power, the ECU may detect it as a burned out bulb and turn off power to that circuit. Usually you'll get a bulb out indicator if that's the case.
  4. Always solder your connections. Automotive wiring requires a strong mechanical connection. Scotch connectors, butt splice connectors, wire nuts and vampire taps will fail over time because of vibrations from the car. That's why you'll never find one in a new car.
  5. Always seal your connections with plastidip or shrink wrap tubing, never electrical tape. The glue on the electrical tape isn't meant to withstand the extreme temperatures of a car and will let go and just leave a mess. If you don't seal your connections, you'll get corrosion over time. That's what leads "electrical gremlins" that cost thousands to fix once you've redone all the lights, security and auto start without sealing connections.
Old 01-10-17, 03:43 PM
2slow
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There should be a fuse box underneath the driver dash. Look for fuses DOME, GAUGE, or ACC. Most likely the DOME fuse, but check the others to cover bases.
Old 02-16-18, 10:03 AM
hyeclass
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what i noticed footwill light is on all the time it doesn't go off so i had to take off the light so it wont drain the battery which it doesn't take that much power.
footwell light is on all the time under the dash i found the wire that connects to the hub but doesn't do me much good not sure...I need to know what i need to change the part what part is burn that makes the light on all the time
I checked all the fuses they all good I get a readout 2.56 power comes out i appreciate any feedback thank you 2015 ES300
Old 04-19-21, 02:25 AM
silverjdm
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Similar Problem

I am having a similar problem, where my foot well lights stay on all.thr time, after having a the fuse blow and replaced.

Were you ever able to solve the problem?

Thanks