HID recommendation for 2007 ES-350

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-14, 11:16 AM
alexulan
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default HID recommendation for 2007 ES-350

Hi, this is probably for Steve,

I have been on the fence for quite a while trying to decide if is should install a HID kit in the wife's ES.

Stock setup is currently halogen and the output is just horrible. Not sure how she even sees the road. I'm obviously spoiled with stock HID on my GS400 and can't go back to halogens.

From the research I have done so far I most likely would like something like a
35W - 5000K kit.

Question, is a relay/capacitor required for avoiding flicker/wont turn on on car start.
Wife is not very mechanical and I need a bulletproof solution because my head will roll.

I hear a lot of discussion on modification needed so the light output is not all over the place.
I'm confused here and I'm not sure I can make these modification myself?

Last question do you guys recommend an installer here in the San Mateo area 650?
Should you bring in your own kit or buy one from the installer?
Old 11-25-14, 02:55 PM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

alexulan:

No relay harness is required on the Lexus ES. If you purchase one of our Xtreme XenonDepot HID kits, they do automatically include a relay harness. The advantage is it gets the power for the lights straight from the battery rather than the vehicle wiring. Some vehicles require a relay but the Lexus isn't one of them so it's use would be purely optional. You won't need any additional components such as capacitors.

Our bulbs are laser aligned to keep the focal point in the same place as your halogen lights. You will get a better cut off with a projector lense than a halogen reflector though. As for color, 4300K is the brightest color temperature and equivalent to OEM. The 5000K is only available on the Xtreme kit and is a nice pure white color with no yellow so it is very popular. Either would be a great choice. Unfortunately no idea on a shop to do the install in your area but our kits are plug and play so installation is simple if you choose to install it yourself.

John
Old 12-10-14, 11:32 AM
alexulan
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks John,

I'll take a look at those.

Just posted in another thread on this question sorry for multiple post.

Extreme vs Volt, what are the differences?

Thanks

Last edited by alexulan; 12-10-14 at 11:37 AM.
Old 12-10-14, 11:41 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Mainly the ballasts.

The Xtreme HID ballast are more rugged, have a lower starting draw, and can handle temperature extremes much better.

Also, the Xtreme HID kit comes with a 3 year warranty, whereas the Volt HID kit comes with a 2 year warranty.

Either way, make sure to use coupon code "CL" to save $25 at checkout.

Steve
Old 02-03-15, 02:53 PM
alexulan
Lexus Test Driver

Install was wrapped up today.

Here are some pics.

First you will need the H7 Spacer for the stock bulbs use these. don't pay more than $5.
Amazon.com: 2 Pcs H7 HID Xenon Conversion Light Holder Adapter for Mazda 3 6: Automotive Amazon.com: 2 Pcs H7 HID Xenon Conversion Light Holder Adapter for Mazda 3 6: Automotive

Next two are from the mounting locations for the ballasts I used
Passenger side was between the water bottle behind the abs unit. tucked in there
Factory Ground location can be found to the right of the Brake Fluid Reservoir under the still unmounted ballast in the picture.

Driver side is to the left side of the fuse box with some tie downs to the plastic bracket in the picture next to that F1 Sticker.
Ground can be found on the shock tower you can see I sanded it down to reveal some bare metal for the ground. (that will need some touch up paint after no drilling required.

First impression is positive good light output and both on and auto are working with no startup glitches or flickering.

The connection to the factory harness is kind of cheesey where you just plug in the positive and negative into the stock headlight plug. These I just wrapped in Electrical tape so they don't come loose from vibration. They should really come with some rubber boots or something.

Last edited by alexulan; 02-03-15 at 03:14 PM.