Notices
Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

base of the D2S bulb will it fit a GS3 01' ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-03, 10:05 PM
joshoowa
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default base of the D2S bulb will it fit a GS3 01' ?

i recently purchased a HID kit for my gs3 but i purchased the wrong bulb (stupid me) well i was wondering i read the the metal strip on the side of the D2R really isnt a biggy but the only thing that scares me is that i've noticed that the base notches look different does anyone have any input to this

http://faq.auto.light.tripod.com/phi...se-notches.jpg

the link i posted above is a comparison of the D2R and the D2S looks different any imput you guys
Old 03-10-03, 10:09 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

ah..... well, it will fit in your stock 9006 housing, but it will not hold and it's not water proof. you can use silicone to seal it but it's hard to change the bulb later.

talk to autolamps-online.com and see if you can get the d2r to 9006 base cap
Old 03-10-03, 10:13 PM
joshoowa
Lexus Champion

you can just switch out the base cap? u think autolamp-online would do a exchange ? i've never used the before
Old 03-10-03, 11:41 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by joshoowa
you can just switch out the base cap? u think autolamp-online would do a exchange ? i've never used the before
you bought it from autolamps-online.com? go talk to them, i think you can exchange
Old 03-11-03, 09:47 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yo joshoowa:

Did you buy from Autolamps or from Jason? I thought I saw you as part of a groupbuy for Jason's kit?

BTW....Jason's groupbuy is up again. Looks like he got ALOT of kits. I got mine yesterday. I looked at the notches of my 9006 based D2S bulb and OEM 9006 halogen....looks like it'll fit.

There are 2 longer notches and 1 short notch. The shorter notch should be facing up (when installed), right?

Pete
Old 03-11-03, 10:03 AM
joshoowa
Lexus Champion

yea i was going through groupbuy but told jason i didnt want it anymore rominl say that the 9006 D2S will fit but wont hold in place and i dont want to silcon it up rather just get the 9006 D2R and play it safe... but man that was a good deal for the 6000k ultinon to bad... i wonder if someone couldnt just do an exchange for D2R's .. i wonder if i email autolamps and asked them even though i got it from somewhere else its still a philips ultinon 6000k and on there website they 6000k B2S and B2R are the same price.. hmmmm??i might just ask them. its just like buying something from one elctronics store dont open it and u can exchange it somewhere else.
Old 03-11-03, 11:10 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

yea i was going through groupbuy but told jason i didnt want it anymore rominl say that the 9006 D2S will fit but wont hold in place and i dont want to silcon it up rather just get the 9006 D2R and play it safe... but man that was a good deal for the 6000k ultinon to bad... i wonder if someone couldnt just do an exchange for D2R's .. i wonder if i email autolamps and asked them even though i got it from somewhere else its still a philips ultinon 6000k and on there website they 6000k B2S and B2R are the same price.. hmmmm??i might just ask them. its just like buying something from one elctronics store dont open it and u can exchange it somewhere else.

wait wait, i am confused, i didn't say 9006 d2s won't fit. of course it will fit coz' it's d2s rebased to 9006, it's just like any 9006 bulb. i was saying if you have d2s bulb, they won't fit and you will need to use silicone to seal it.
Old 03-11-03, 11:19 AM
joshoowa
Lexus Champion

well yea.. but i dont want to silicone it...rather have it simpllified silicone is mess
Old 03-11-03, 12:00 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Im a bit confused too. I think there's been a misunderstanding here. If you bought Jason's kit....it will fit perfectly....NO silicone needed. Its a D2S bulb re-based for 9006 fitment.

Sooooo after all that's been said..... Do you physically have a HID kit in your possession? If yes, who did you purchase it from? Do you know if they are D2S or D2R bulbs? Which bulb do you want..... D2S or D2R bulbs? Was the bulb re-based for 9006?
Old 03-11-03, 12:17 PM
99SHlude
Rookie

There are 2 longer notches and 1 short notch. The shorter notch should be facing up (when installed), right?

For my installation I have the ground wire facing down. Putting the Xenons in is like swapping in blue bulbs...pretty easy. Do that first so you can spend your time figuring out where to mount the ballasts and how you will run the wire harness to the bulbs.
Old 03-11-03, 12:32 PM
joshoowa
Lexus Champion

this is the groupbuy link i bought it from http://groupbuycenter.com/buy.aspx?id=9166 it says 9006 D2S so what does this mean i bought it from jason
Old 03-11-03, 01:14 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

this is the groupbuy link i bought it from http://groupbuycenter.com/buy.aspx?id=9166 it says 9006 D2S so what does this mean i bought it from jason
joshoowa:

Discountcycle is Jason. So if you bought the 9006 HID kit from THIS groupbuy.....this kit will fit perfectly.....No silicone needed.

Pete
Old 03-11-03, 01:17 PM
joshoowa
Lexus Champion

ok thanks for the help
Old 03-11-03, 01:22 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Originally posted by 99SHlude
For my installation I have the ground wire facing down. Putting the Xenons in is like swapping in blue bulbs...pretty easy. Do that first so you can spend your time figuring out where to mount the ballasts and how you will run the wire harness to the bulbs.
99SHIude:

Thanks for the tip....I was looking at it last night and it made sense to swap the bulbs out first to see how much slack I had to mount the ballast. Where did you run the wire to the driver side ballast? Above radiator fan? In front of radiator?

Yah....if you look at the short notch on the 9006 base....its directly across from the return wire.....thus, when short notch is facing up, the return wire is facing down.

Pete
Old 03-11-03, 04:00 PM
99SHlude
Rookie

actually I don't have a Lexus so I can't really provide specific information.....planning on getting an IS300 soon so I'm hanging around here.

anyways, my wires are mounted a good distance away from the radiator. There's around 15 inches of wiring from the ballast itself to the bulb so I didn't have to be too creative on where I had to mount it. To plug everything in only takes about a minute or so once you've got the HID harness getting power from your battery and have swapped out the bulbs. You just basically hook up your OEM bulb plug to the HID harness and then hook up the 9006 connector (with the rubber seal) on the HID harness to the Philips ballast...don't hook up your factory Lexux 9006 connector to the ballast itself or you will bypass the HID harness. After you've got it fired up and running you then can route the wiring cleanly and permanently attach the ballast (use the screws to mount the plastic ballast cover to the vehicle).

Last edited by 99SHlude; 03-11-03 at 04:04 PM.

Quick Reply: base of the D2S bulb will it fit a GS3 01' ?