Notices
Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

What's the truth about high wattage halogen bulbs...do they really melt the wiring ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-03, 04:56 PM
XenonES3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What's the truth about high wattage halogen bulbs...do they really melt the wiring ?

Since moving into my HID kit, I have 4 sets of 9006 'fake Xenons' that I am planning to give to friends who have been begging for them.

The bulbs are by Hiper Industries and Matrix, and the packages for both brands state: 80 WATTS...(stock I believe is 51 or 55W).

I've seen countless ricers with fake xenons and no problems.

I'm wondering whether it is safe to run these 80 WATT bulbs without doing any damage...because then I could give them to someone who wants 'em, if not I'll trash 'em.
Old 02-14-03, 06:14 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

if you do a search...you will find a few CL members have melted their wires due to over-wattage bulbs.

If your buddy wants them.....give it to him....just tell him about this issue....otherwise, he might think you dont want to give it to him.
Old 02-14-03, 07:11 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

oh yeah it's VERY possible
Old 02-14-03, 07:29 PM
stelios
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is no doubt they will melt your wires. I had them and trashed them. Save your self the headache. If you search you could find them in 50 or 55 watts
Old 02-14-03, 08:39 PM
octane300
Lead Lap

Go to SUVlights.com. They sell Sylvania Silverstars that are only 60W. You should be safe w/ these.

Doug
Old 02-15-03, 12:34 AM
girvan
Rookie

Default Ohm's Law

Heat dissipation at the connectors is proportional to the SQUARE of the current / wattage, so these bulbs will cause a LOT more stress on the connectors. In addition the blue filters (=fake Xenon) trap much of the red and infra-red radiation that normally is radiated out the front of the lamps so you can expect an even higher temperature rise. Couple that with the fact that quality control may not be the best.

You end up with a “thermal runaway” condition (just like reactor meltdown). The connectors get very hot, oxidize, cause more resistance and more dissipation which causes them to get hotter still and causes even more dissipation = burnt melted connectors and insulation.
Old 02-15-03, 12:30 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally posted by sportythief79
Go to SUVlights.com. They sell Sylvania Silverstars that are only 60W. You should be safe w/ these.

Doug
silverstars are available at almost all local auto stores. but i heard they don't last that long
Old 02-16-03, 09:28 PM
kylesc400
Lead Lap

the previous owner of my sc400 stuck in some cheap 'HIPER' brand 9006 bulbs that were like 80-85 watts. my driver side low beam was so badly melted that i only got light out of it intermitently. i had to replace the harness from the dealership for like $17. im using silverstars right now and am very pleased. you can get them for about $20 a piece at autozone. i havent heard anything about them having a short life span - however ive heard a lot about the more expensive PIAA bulbs not lasting very long. ive tried the piaa xtreme white plus bulbs, and the silverstars actually look whiter and are from a better company IMO.
Old 02-18-03, 09:44 AM
TomWahjudi
Driver

Default High Wattage Bulbs and Wiring Harness

XenonES3/all,

Well, believe it or not, you can run insane wattage headlight bulbs or at least on my LS.

I run 100/145W Halogen H4s backed by a wiring harness running *THREE* Bosch relays. The stock wiring harness only powers the relays which is very small current compared to even *ONE* bulb running low beam. The wiring harness draws power directly from battery (don't worry, the wiring harness also has two fuses), so voltage is higher, creating whiter beams (even seen at daylight !)and these are just regular clear bulbs. No coating, no colored glass.

Now, LS headlights are quite large and they have glass lenses. This is what seems to make them durable enough to run something like that. I really miss my 1982 Toyota Land Cruiser when it comes to headlights, this thing runs Hella 7" round reflectors shod with 100/170W IPF bulbs.

Anyway, 80W bulbs are not that bad. I don't think it will melt wiring. 135W is a different story Go ahead give them to your friend, just make sure you told him/her that you are not responsible for any outcome. Besides, they ran just fine in your car previously without wiring harness, right ?

TFW
Old 02-19-03, 04:58 PM
XenonES3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow....this is some great information ALL OF YOU have compiled! Everything from the physics, to the better alternatives to 'fake xenon' bulbs.

I used the 80W xenons just once, for a car show (different car), but other than that I have only used stock bulbs.

Thus, I don't have much experience with them and wouldn't want to hand it off to others if it screws up their cars.

I'll recommend these Sylvania Sylverstars to others...

TFW + all ...do think with modifications to the wiring harness it, it would be possible to run 80W?
Old 02-20-03, 05:21 AM
TomWahjudi
Driver

XenonES3,

80W is easy. You don't need to modify your car wiring harness, all you have to do is find upgrade wiring harness that will plug into your car wiring harness. I have my own favorite but it has to be imported from Indonesia. You might be able to find some in the US doing a search on "upgrade headlight wiring harness". I think Jamstrait might have some, but I'm not sure.
Old 02-20-03, 03:59 PM
LEXBERG
Pole Position

I have 70 W http://www.eurolamps.com in mine. I reall y like them I'll put the pics up soon.