Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

Silver Stars

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-03, 12:39 AM
NEO GEO
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Silver Stars

I know this has been talk about here in the forum but i want to make sure i get the right ones. i checked the sylvania site to find out what bulb i need for my 94 LS-400 and it tells me the 9003. so should i get the 9003 silver stars? and will that be the brightest i can go? or can i convert to a 9005 if possible. this is all new to me (lighting) so i don't want to screw up. any help will be appreciated. Oh i checked them out at a autozone store and they are only like 20.00 without rebate not bad. NEO GEO
Old 01-18-03, 02:33 AM
EXE.UCF10
VIP|EXEstyle セルシオ

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

9003?? Hmm...never knew such a bulb existed. You should check your owner's manual to make sure if it's 9003. I have a '91 LS400 and it uses 9004, yours could be the same or maybe even a 9005/9006. Regarding your question on whether it is possible to convert to a brighter bulb...it would require you to change the connectors/harnesses to the specific bulb type you would want to use. Not 100% sure yet if the connector/harness change would work, but I'm looking more into it since I also want to upgrade to a brighter bulb.
Old 01-18-03, 08:24 PM
NEO GEO
Driver

Lightbulb

BR1AN, i just checked the Sylvania site and it has a 9003ST silverstar upgrade for a 94 LS-400. check it out, i think yours will take a 9004ST if it's a 91. www.sylvania.com and look up auto and type in your year. i tried to remove one of my bulbs from the headlight housing and i couldn't get it loose. i need a shop manual for this year cause i don't want to force it and break it or damage the housing. i have a owner's manual but they tell you to take it to the dealer if a headlight goes out! AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA what a joke. you know where i can find a shop manual for a 94? oh the factory headlight bulb no. is HB2 watts-60/55 Halogen. NEO GEO
Old 01-19-03, 02:07 AM
EXE.UCF10
VIP|EXEstyle セルシオ

Oh...sorry for the confusion. Regarding on how to change the bulb yourself, you have to remove the whole headlight housing itself to remove to the bulb.

Here are the steps I took when I installed PIAA Xtreme Whites in my '91 (guessing yours would be the same way?):
First you need to start by removing both parking lights by removing 1 small screw for each (on top) and some effort in pulling out the parking light housing itself (take short brisk tugs at it otherwise you'll break the plastic ring inside that holds it snugly fit).
Second, you need to remove the foglights by unscrewing 2 screws, 1 on top and on the bottom (these screws are much larger than the screws you had to remove for the parking lights).
Lastly, you remove the complete headlight housing by removing 3-4 screws ( I think I may have taken an extra smaller screw out 'cause I wasn't sure at the time) and a spring that fastens the headlight unit to the housing. I think 2 of the screws were on the bottom and 1 on the top. After the screws are removed, you might wanna gently shake the housing loose first before pulling it out.

My owner's manual had a brief explanation with pictures on the DIY, but wasn't exact in terms of directions (which is why it took me an hour and a half to do a 45 min. job ). I wouldn't know where else to get a shop manual except maybe the dealer? I think they took out the DIY out of the manuals after my year because it's not as easy as the directions make it seem it is. I had a pretty tough time accessing and unscrewing some of the screws that held together the headlight housing, but maybe that's because I only had a wrench and a screwdriver from the tool kit in the trunk to work with? If you have any doubts on doing it yourself, I guess you can always take it to the dealer.
Old 01-19-03, 10:50 PM
NEO GEO
Driver

Thumbs up

Thanks BR1AN, i'll try it and hope i don't break anything. i thought i would have to get at the bulbs from behind and not from the front! oh well i just learned something. i probably won't do this for few days or so (have some things to do) but will let you know how i did when i do it. yea i might just go to a dealer to get a shop manual unless someone here has the year i need and they upgraded to a newer model. Oh one more thing do i have to watch that i don't knock any adjustments out? NEO GEO
Old 01-20-03, 02:27 AM
EXE.UCF10
VIP|EXEstyle セルシオ

Well, you are getting at the bulbs from behind...it's just requiring you to remove the whole housing itself first. The only thing you need to worry about breaking is the little plastic piece that helps hold the parking light in place (I broke both of mine ). You don't need to worry about knocking any adjustments out of place except maybe the possibility of unscrewing the wrong screws on the headlight housing which can change the adjustment of your headlight aim. Glad I can be of some help...good luck and let me know how everything turns out.