Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

HIDs flickering

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-13, 10:51 AM
Supruxes
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HIDs flickering

Tried searching but couldn't find my exact problem.

When i bought my car, it already had a HID kit installed, but they flickered/strobe often and I might have thought it was due to the HID kit being ran from the factory harness. Well I replaced the ballast and installed a relay/fuse harness kit that i had in my mustang, which never had flickering problems, this did not remedy the problem. So i bought new quality bulbs, I also moved the ground to 3-4 different places and this did not fix the problem, so i said eff it, and took the kit out.

Anyone have this happen? what was your fix?

I also have a video if ya'll need that.
Old 03-23-13, 10:57 AM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've heard sometimes that can be a sign that your battery is weakening or incapable of handling the load placed on it, may be something for you to test. I've never had that problem though so I couldn't tell you for sure, just something I heard.
Old 03-23-13, 11:01 AM
Supruxes
Driver

Originally Posted by eknine9
I've heard sometimes that can be a sign that your battery is weakening or incapable of handling the load placed on it, may be something for you to test. I've never had that problem though so I couldn't tell you for sure, just something I heard.
Hmmm, i'll test it at work, it is a older 27 series Super Start.....

I have noticed my dome light flickers sometimes too.
Old 03-23-13, 11:12 AM
Bflatsharp
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you getting any lights on from the cluster?

This happened to me twice, but my abs light, trac light, battery light all came on at the same time (both times) . Turned out to be a bad alternator. My distributor was leaking on my alternator....

Best bet would be to test the battery first. If it's bad then replace it. Next test the alternator. Replace if needed.

A bad battery can give you a false reading of a bad alternator.
Old 03-23-13, 07:05 PM
Supruxes
Driver

Originally Posted by Bflatsharp
Are you getting any lights on from the cluster?

This happened to me twice, but my abs light, trac light, battery light all came on at the same time (both times) . Turned out to be a bad alternator. My distributor was leaking on my alternator....

Best bet would be to test the battery first. If it's bad then replace it. Next test the alternator. Replace if needed.

A bad battery can give you a false reading of a bad alternator.
Had the alternator tested, battery tested, all good, only light i had on in the dash is my light indicator from my 97 tail lights.
Old 05-01-13, 02:21 AM
robertoyou
Advanced

if its an aftermarket hid kit, then its probably just a cheap kit. sorry if im jumping to conclusions. but usually cheap hid kits have the side affect of flickering and not having the best light output.

my friend once bought an HID kit off ebay, before he came and asked me about it... he ended up regretting it.
cost him 50 bucks and the lights were terrible. they wouldn't stop flickering or wouldn't hold a steady beam. it was annoying. he ended up returning them.

hope this helps.
Old 06-10-13, 08:26 PM
Briannyc
Banned Created Multiple Accounts

I was having the same flickering problem but it was due to water getting in the connection.I opened all connectors sprayed them with wd-40 and sealed them with electrical tape.this stoped my anoying flickering.