Notices
Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

LED's what's good and what's not?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-12, 10:29 PM
Postie974
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LED's what's good and what's not?

So I keep reading about people having problems with error codes and lights burning out quickly. First off, LED's should last a long long time being low watt/amp users. Second, why are they throwing codes and burning up people's harnesses? I would like to up grade my DRL/high beams, city lights, turn signals, backup, trunk, side markers and fog lights. I DO NOT want some cheap light that will cause problems at all. I also, do not want to pay a lot for junk ones. Any suggestions from past experience would be greatly appreciated! Thank You

2009 AWD GS 350
Old 11-30-12, 12:39 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

hit up LuxuryMod for some quality LED set for your car. i think he does a bundle pack too for the whole interior.

Vled is also good which i used 3 years back n still use now.
Old 12-01-12, 10:07 PM
Postie974
Driver School Candidate

Thanks vwynn
Old 12-03-12, 05:28 PM
SteveORT
Driver School Candidate

This is a great question. I am super concerned about led tails; I would hate to spend a considerable amount of cash on led tails to get a bulb warning or something else lame
Old 12-11-12, 12:29 AM
Postie974
Driver School Candidate

Cool

Originally Posted by SteveORT
This is a great question. I am super concerned about led tails; I would hate to spend a considerable amount of cash on led tails to get a bulb warning or something else lame
Agreed, who wants to shell out bucks for junk?! I am wanting to upgrade DRL's, city lights, side markers and trunk.
Old 12-11-12, 12:30 AM
Postie974
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Postie974
Agreed, who wants to shell out bucks for junk?! I am wanting to upgrade DRL's, city lights, side markers and trunk.
Oh and turn signals too!
Old 12-12-12, 01:53 PM
samlebo44
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LED usually will through an error code unless you have a resistor inline. Cause your car is expecting a certain amount of voltage to be used by a light bulb. And when that light bulb is swapped out with a LED, there is alot less of a amp draw on that particular wire.
So the ecu thinks the traditional bulb is burned out. I've never seen a harness burned out from a LED, My guess is that the ones that are burned out is due to human error in the installation. Ie: in the case where a LED is spliced into the existing wiring.
Old 12-14-12, 02:27 PM
iJDMTOY
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Postie974
So I keep reading about people having problems with error codes and lights burning out quickly. First off, LED's should last a long long time being low watt/amp users. Second, why are they throwing codes and burning up people's harnesses? I would like to up grade my DRL/high beams, city lights, turn signals, backup, trunk, side markers and fog lights. I DO NOT want some cheap light that will cause problems at all. I also, do not want to pay a lot for junk ones. Any suggestions from past experience would be greatly appreciated! Thank You

2009 AWD GS 350
For Lexus vehicles, the only error code you will see if when you replace your daytime running light/high beam with an LED, these cars (to the best of my knowledge at least) do have an active can-bus system like European vehicles do. With European vehicles, most of the exterior lights have sensors that measure the draw and resistance of each bulb to detect if it's working or not.

LED bulbs use a lot less power (less draw on the electrical system) which leads to issues such as flickering or error messages because the system was not programmed to operate at such a low load. As far as burning harnesses, unless there was something seriously wrong with the bulb (negative and positive connections touching each other) or it was improperly installed, it should not burn harnesses. LED's run much cooler than traditional incandescent bulbs.

All of your lights should be plug and play except the DRL's and turn signals. The turn signals require load resistors if you want to stop the hyper-flashing (rapid blinking of the turn signals with LED bulbs). You can use the LED turn signals without the resistors, but it is certainly annoying without it.

We offer a variety of LED bulbs for many vehicles, PM me if you want details on specific lights.
Old 12-21-12, 10:35 PM
Postie974
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by iJDMTOY

We offer a variety of LED bulbs for many vehicles, PM me if you want details on specific lights.
Thank you, I will be contacting you shortly.