Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

Finally - Audi TT HID retrofit in my 92' ES

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-02, 02:44 AM
themasta3
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally - Audi TT HID retrofit in my 92' ES

well, i finally got started on my long awaited project, and i'm happy to say that i've got 1 headlight complete. i just put the headlight back in and compared it, and i really can't believe the HUGE difference. i'm never gonna be able to go back to regular halogens ever. hopefully mine will look just like amrit's (just without the angel eyes) but i've got an idea on how to make some angel eyes too. hopefully i'll have some day/night pics up by the end of the weekend or by early next week at the latest, cuz i know you all are eager to see dis *****!.

Peace!

Curtis
Old 11-22-02, 06:33 AM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Awesome!!!

Can't wait to see! post pics asap!!! I'm up writing a presentation for class so this bette be good! LOL Seriously, the whole CL community wants to see what fine work you'll accomplish! So I can know who else to bug when I do my retrofit! (LOL) You guys are great I just wanted to say that....Peace
Old 11-26-02, 08:06 PM
themasta3
Rookie

well, the project is finally complete. i've got some day pics to show you now, and i'll post the night pics as soon as it gets to be dark here in good ol' Montana! unfortunately, these lights don't really give the blue tint off like the TT's while they're on, only when i first turn them on for about 15 seconds.
i've been told that it's a combination of the projector, shield, and housing that creates the blue affect. i guess all i'm missing is a true HID housing, but since i got a 92' that aint never gonna happen. i thought about buying Philips 5800k Ultinons, but they're $145 a piece from autolamps-online.com and i really dont feel like spending more $ on this project. also, they're said to actually emit a blueish light onto the road, which i definitely don't want.
the actual amount of light given off is amazing, however. i don't think i'll ever be able to go back to normal halogens again, or even the fake "blue" bulbs for that matter. even though they don't really give off that "blueish" tint, the high-intensity of the lights themselves could never be mistaken for anything else but HID. my lights definitely stand out from stock halogens and from the cheap "blue" bulbs. but enough of me talking, you can judge them for your self, here are the daytime pics:

front

right headlight retrofit

left headlight retrofit

i'll post the night pics here in a couple hours once it gets dark
Old 11-26-02, 09:15 PM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

the reason why you are not seeing the blue tint is becus you are too close. have a friend drive in the opposite direction you will be amazed
Old 11-26-02, 10:18 PM
themasta3
Rookie

Default NIGHT PICS

alright, night has fallen here in Montana, and me and my *****ty digi cam from school have come through with some night pics of my Audi TT HID retrofit. enjoy!

*WARNING*

The colors contained in the following pics may be incomprehendable to 1st gen ES owners. View at your own risk!

*WARNING*

front view 1

front view 2

left headlight 1

left headlight 2

cutoff 1

cutoff 2

well, there they are!

they would look a lot better with a good digi cam, but i'm using the cheap one from the school cuz that's all i could get a hold of. these pics really don't do justice to how bright HID's really are. i definitely recommend this mod to anyone who's got the $ and time to do it. it's a lot of fun to be able to work on your car and then have a good looking finished product.

Peace,

Curtis
Old 11-26-02, 10:50 PM
tiguy99
Pole Position

are you using 4100k or 6000k bulbs? Kinda hard to tell from the pics...
Old 11-26-02, 11:36 PM
themasta3
Rookie

the bulbs are just regular OEM 4100k bulbs. the 6000k bulbs (really 5800k) are illegal because they emit an actual blue colored light onto the ground. they look *****in dope, but they're $145 a piece, they reduce the light output vs. 4100k bulbs, and i don't want to have a "ricer" looking blue beam in front of my car. im content w/ the 4100k Philips bulbs that im using now.
Old 11-26-02, 11:55 PM
see_fu
Pole Position

From my owm experiences, the ulitnon seems to make the tt projectors brighter.
Old 11-27-02, 12:44 AM
squarehat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks great. I wish I were a bit more handy with a Dremel, or lived closer to someone I could hire to do a first-rate job.
I'd stick with OEM 4100K, the white light is much cleaner looking than the 6000K.
On closer look, did you just remove the lens from the stock projector, and put the TT projector inside the stock housing? Did you actually cut much off? I was always under the impression that you had to cut away the entire stock projector housing with a Dremel, and epoxy the HID projector/with housing in it's place, then fabricate a trim piece if the HID projector was smaller (e.g. Audi, BMW 3-series). If it's just a matter of putting the new projectors inside, I might be able to handle it.

Last edited by squarehat; 11-27-02 at 12:48 AM.
Old 11-28-02, 05:35 AM
amrit50
Driver

the 4100k is what you want. you can't fit the tt projector in the stock cylinder w/o cutting it away. you have to dremel out the cutoff, and some of the top cut off too. It's really not that hard.

Curtis-I have created a thick blue/purple line cutoff w/ my projectors. That way the people on the road see blue/purple, but you see white. I will post some pics.
Old 02-10-03, 12:39 AM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Question...where the heck did you guys mount your ballasts? I was looking under the hood yesterday. So far, the one on the left of the car (by the airbox is ideal for the left ballast but what about the right? I'm ready to roll, I've got the materials but where did you find the space to place the ballasts and wiring? mine are the ones which include the starters/ignitors seperately...actually these:

P.S..
I noticed from both Amrits and your install, (SEE LINK: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=61456[/url] ) that the HID projector seems to be like 1 inch back into the housing when compared to where the original halogen one was. Is there any way around this to bring the actual unit foward to the point no light gets lost (i.e. the light that would spread to the left and right sides)? This is really what I'd like to know because after I test out my ballasts and bulbs...I'm good to go. Here's a shot of my A6 projectors I'm gonna use on my 95 ES.

Last edited by tiguy99; 02-10-03 at 09:28 AM.
Old 02-10-03, 10:15 AM
themasta3
Rookie

tiguy, there's really no way to move the projector up unless you wanna cut about an inch off of the cylinder. if you connect your projectors and turn them on just by themselves, without being inserted into the housing, you'll see an awesome color spectrum with a very visible blue tint at the top. however, once they're attached and sealed back into the housing, you loose most pf that spectrum. i think it's a combination of the projector being set an inch back in the cylinder, the housing not being designed for HID, and the clear plastic headlight covering that probably scatters the light when it hits it. the light output is still bright white, but the color just isnt visible. it's unfortunate, but there's really nothing we can do except buy a vehicle with factory HID if we wanna obtain the blue flicker.

look at it this way though, your lighting is definitely improved and the intensity of your headlights still make your car stand out from the other halogen cars. in a few years HID will be the thing that every car has and it wont even be a big deal anymore.
Old 02-10-03, 10:27 AM
see_fu
Pole Position

Originally posted by themasta3
tiguy, there's really no way to move the projector up unless you wanna cut about an inch off of the cylinder. if you connect your projectors and turn them on just by themselves, without being inserted into the housing, you'll see an awesome color spectrum with a very visible blue tint at the top. however, once they're attached and sealed back into the housing, you loose most pf that spectrum. i think it's a combination of the projector being set an inch back in the cylinder, the housing not being designed for HID, and the clear plastic headlight covering that probably scatters the light when it hits it. the light output is still bright white, but the color just isnt visible. it's unfortunate, but there's really nothing we can do except buy a vehicle with factory HID if we wanna obtain the blue flicker.

look at it this way though, your lighting is definitely improved and the intensity of your headlights still make your car stand out from the other halogen cars. in a few years HID will be the thing that every car has and it wont even be a big deal anymore.
you shouldn't get any lose of color/intensity. If you are that means your cutoff is passing through one of those lines that runs across your headlamp.
Old 02-10-03, 10:33 AM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

actually you should lose some color and your lights will scatter a little. the plastic lens on halogen car is pretty thick and not made for HID. so when light hits it it goes in all direction kind of light when you shine a flashlight through a cup of water. most of the light will go in the right direction but SOME of it will get scattered. with HID housing. the lens is made up of a special material thats very very clear, thin, and strong. when light hits it it goes right through.
Old 02-10-03, 10:58 AM
amrit50
Driver

jmai22 is correct, i have noticed the same thing. I have made new cutoff's that are higher, and curved that produce a thick purple/blue line.

Quick Reply: Finally - Audi TT HID retrofit in my 92' ES