Notices
Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

Unsure about if I can replace this bulb with an LED.

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-12, 01:33 AM
JForce
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Unsure about if I can replace this bulb with an LED.

I have 04 RX330 and this is the light right next to the dome light, where you push the button to shine light on the driver or the passenger side. It goes in and out in a twisting motion. Anyone know what type of LED I can use for this? Thanks.

Pic of the bulb:

Pic of it in the housing (bad pic sorry):
Old 07-21-12, 12:59 PM
Mischievious GS
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Looks like the same bulb type I have in my SC430 in the map/dome light. I am in the process of changing out all the incandescent bulbs out for LEDs, and I just changed these with a nice result. What you're looking for is something like this:

I'm not sure if the rules on posting direct links to eBay has changed the past few years, but you'll be able to find these on eBay. They have 3 adapters to go into almost any bulb size, and the LED boards come in a variety of sizes (6, 9, 12, 18, 24, etc).

I bought a 12 LED board, and it was a little smaller than my map/dome light, but the output was great. I could've probably fit a 18 or 20 in there. I think i paid <$5 for it .

If you want any more info, you can give me a PM and i'll tell you exactly where I bought mine from .
Old 07-26-12, 02:32 PM
iJDMTOY
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

We have a bulb that fits that exactly..

iJDMTOY 5-SMD BA9 LED Bulbs

Old 07-26-12, 10:52 PM
JForce
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by iJDMTOY
We have a bulb that fits that exactly..

iJDMTOY 5-SMD BA9 LED Bulbs

Yo I just ordered a set of bayonet style and it is too big! Can I exchange them? Still unopened packaging...
Old 07-27-12, 12:02 PM
iJDMTOY
Former Sponsor

Yeah, just send us an email using the link below and we'll get you sorted right away.

http://store.ijdmtoy.com/Customer-Service-a/366.htm

Is the length too long? If it is, you can exchange it to these:

iJDMTOY 1W High Power BA9 LED Bulbs

These are shorter than the ones I originally posted, but the only issue is that these only shine the light in one direction instead of a 360 degree pattern.
Old 04-15-13, 01:28 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Apparently these BA9's that IJDM recommended above are not functional in the SC430. The OEM receptacle is wired to the opposite poles (ie. the end contact is negative, and the middle contact is positive). When using a halogen bulb, this makes no difference, but when using an LED it does. Therefore if you choose to use this BA9 LED you must take apart the Dome console and resolder the electrical leads in opposition... or you could save yourself the headache and get a flat panel set as in post #2 above.

<<<UPDATE: please read post 8 below>>>

Last edited by ShawnOk; 04-16-13 at 04:09 PM.
Old 04-15-13, 04:31 PM
iJDMTOY
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
Apparently these BA9's that IJDM recommended above are not functional in the SC430. The OEM receptacle is wired to the opposite poles (ie. the end contact is negative, and the middle contact is positive). When using a halogen bulb, this makes no difference, but when using an LED it does. Therefore if you choose to use this BA9 LED you must take apart the Dome console and resolder the electrical leads in opposition... or you could save yourself the headache and get a flat panel set as in post #2 above.
I did not realize that. That's such a strange way to wire up the lights, but with halogen bulbs as you stated, don't require the polarity to be exact.
Old 04-16-13, 04:07 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

iJDMtoy, I must apologize! After putting these BA9's in the stock fixture, they worked perfectly! The polarity and size was correct (at least in my vehicle; another user had the polarity problem. Too bad for him). You guys really know your stuff! Thanks for everything and I'm already planning my 3rd order.
Old 04-16-13, 05:10 PM
iJDMTOY
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
iJDMtoy, I must apologize! After putting these BA9's in the stock fixture, they worked perfectly! The polarity and size was correct (at least in my vehicle; another user had the polarity problem. Too bad for him). You guys really know your stuff! Thanks for everything and I'm already planning my 3rd order.
Oh okay! Cool. I guess the person who assembled the other guys interior lights had a ADD moment and wired it backwards.