Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

DDM Tuning disappointment

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-11, 06:30 PM
kjmurphy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DDM Tuning disappointment

Not sure if anyone if planning on ordering HID lights from DDM Tuning, but I thought I would let you all in on my experience so far. I ordered the lights, both headlight and fog lights, in January of this year. Installation was smooth and the lights worked perfectly for the first 3 weeks. After that the right headlight would occasionally give a "bulb out" warning even though the error cancellers had been installed. About 2 weeks later the headlight would actually fail to come on intermittently and after some testing I determined that it was a bad ballast. I contacted DDM and they were happy to replace the ballast, I simply had to mail it back to them.
Well, they've had for 1 week now and yesterday I received an email stating that there was a shortage of ballasts and that those new orders that specified priority shipment would be sent out in 2-3 days, while all others will be sent out in 2-4 weeks. When I called customer service this morning I was told that I would not receive mine for 2-4 weeks, even though I paid to have my original order priority shipped. It's poor customer service like this that will make me shop elsewhere in the future.
Hope you all have a better experience if you choose to go with DDM Tuning.

Kevin
Old 03-24-11, 10:14 PM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I've been running DDM for 3 years already so far its been good. No problems at all, sucks that you had something go wrong. I've heard that DDM service isn't top notch since they always have a back order on the HID since its so cheap... luckily i have one local so i can just drop by and exchange whatever went wrong.
Old 03-24-11, 10:26 PM
JH48
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

it is locate in OC
Old 03-24-11, 11:47 PM
rgarjr
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have relay harness installed on your setup?
Old 03-26-11, 06:41 PM
SoCal Cyco
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by JH48
it is locate in OC
there is actually 2, san diego is the main store and the secondary in huntington beach.

i know personally that they are out of ALL ballasts, for at least 2 weeks.
Old 03-26-11, 10:03 PM
Vincent123
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have 3 sets of ddm hids up front on my car with no issues. 2 sets of 55w and 1 set of slim 35w. Been a few months so far, so hopefully nothing wrong. Knock on wood
Old 03-26-11, 10:33 PM
rgarjr
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are their HID bulbs pretty good? Bought some cheap HID 9006 bulbs for my fogs on ebay and had a problem with one not igniting.
Old 03-27-11, 11:06 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

What you pay is what you get. It's better to deal with them locally though. When it comes to shipping, for anything that is, always buy quality, or else later you will be paying for shipping and sucking up all that BS.
Old 03-28-11, 05:56 AM
kjmurphy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
What you pay is what you get. It's better to deal with them locally though. When it comes to shipping, for anything that is, always buy quality, or else later you will be paying for shipping and sucking up all that BS.
GS4,
No charge for shipping and it's not always possible to buy local. My beef is not with the quality of the parts, any company can have a defect once in a while and they did not balk at replacing the ballast. My issue is that they have a very limited supply of ballasts on hand at this time and are using those to fill new orders that requested overnight, 2-day or 3-day delivery. In the meantime, I will have to wait 2-4 weeks. That qualifies as poor customer support/service in my book.

rgarjr,
No problems with the bulbs so far (other headlight and both fog lights still working).

Kevin
Old 03-28-11, 08:47 AM
IS2FINE
Driver School Candidate

I've had their slim ballast 8000k installed in my RSX for over 2 years now with no problems
Old 03-28-11, 12:39 PM
cheez80
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

a lot of hid/ballast suppliers are feeling a crunch because of chinese new year and the resulting disruption in supply chains. a friend of mine who is in the business has been dealing with the same thing. a lot of external factors are happening; it's not all DDM's fault
Old 04-03-11, 11:04 PM
JayLau86
Driver School Candidate

Bough my GF some 4300k 35watts HID kit from them a year ago and still going strong and bright.
Old 04-22-11, 05:06 PM
epikeddie
Rookie

Well....being that I'm originally from the BMW community.....DDM Tuning is just the retailer. It's usually the supply issue from China or Taiwan (where these lights are manufactured) and with the recent earthquake in Japan - there are going to be a lot of products that are going to be delayed.

Unfortunately, they can't supply what they don't have and you got stuck with the bad portion of that deal.
Old 04-22-11, 07:21 PM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

had ddm for a long time..no issues..its so cheap, just buy another kit as backup..
Old 04-22-11, 07:23 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

At least you got an email stating they're not in stock. I ordered some ATE brake fluid last week and decided to wait until today to pick it up. I dropped by since it was on the way to my destination. Went in and the dude told me it's not in stock and won't be until next week. If it's out of stock, then friggin call me and tell me so I can buy it elsewhere. Were they seriously going to have a customer hanging for almost 2 weeks? They had the nerve to already charge my credit card when they don't have the product in hand.

Customer service is definitely their weak point.

Quick Reply: DDM Tuning disappointment