Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

ES 300 clear corners and angel eyes

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-02, 09:17 PM
amrit50
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clear corners and angel eyes

Here are the pics I promised. I will post some HID pics tomorrow.

Send your comments. I might change the blue to white.
Old 08-27-02, 11:04 AM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That was the exact thing that I wanted to do to my car, with the hot wires. I was just unsure about glueing it to my silver part.
Can you take some pics from the front of the car, so we can see how it looks at night

Last edited by EGainer; 08-27-02 at 11:05 AM.
Old 08-27-02, 12:59 PM
XenonES3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice.....did you install the angel eyes while clearing the corners?

What kind of HID kit?
Old 08-27-02, 02:10 PM
DJy
Rookie

Wow, that looks nice..!
Old 08-27-02, 05:25 PM
amrit50
Driver

Here are some daytime pics:

HID warmup:

And after 15 seconds or so:

I have the phillips lvq ballasts from my last car, and the 9006 beam pattern exact 5600K bulbs from autolites.net.

I also painted my badges pearl black. I hate the plastic gold.

I will send post some headlight pics tonight, once it's dark.
Old 08-27-02, 05:28 PM
amrit50
Driver

I used EL wire and super glued them to the outside of the silver ring w/ super glue gel. It's easier to work with. I took out the entire silver piece, and used one wire for each side. I took out the orange while I was at it. I love the look. I also got PIAA xtreme white 1157 turn signal bulbs. These are by far the best. Avoid APC.

Last edited by amrit50; 08-27-02 at 05:29 PM.
Old 08-27-02, 11:48 PM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

how did you get the rain/fog lights to turn on without the headlights being on?
Old 08-28-02, 12:45 AM
BigRich
Pole Position

Looks nice to me!
Old 08-28-02, 01:35 AM
squarehat
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs up How's the beam pattern?

Nice job! The lightguides for the angel eyes are very nicely installed, I like how they're barely visible when the lights are off. I like the HIDs, too. The warmup color looks sweet, but I like pure white when they're on (it amazes me that people spend $500 on a "8500K HID kit" that ends up looking like a slightly brighter $25 set of blue halogens.) I'm much in favor of OEM look.
How is the beam pattern? I know that 1st gen SC's have similar projectors, and have some "hot" and "cold" spots in the beam pattern. (specifically, two spots missing in front of the bumper, caused by shields on the OEM projectors.) Are the lights beam corrected to a 9006 pattern with shields, or are they simply on a 9006 base? Any color flicker when viewed off axis (like an Audi or BMW)?
Sorry if I asked too many questions about the optics, but I'm curious. I'm more reluctant to put in HID because of improper beam pattern than price. Don't want to blind someone and have them hit me, have everybody flashing their brights at me, or worse yet, get pulled over for excessive glare.
As for the fogs, did you install a relay? That's what people in other forums have done to sync the fogs with the parking lamps. The instructions for the GS are posted, I suppose it's similar on an ES.

Last edited by squarehat; 08-28-02 at 01:37 AM.
Old 08-28-02, 01:42 AM
1994es300
Rookie

wow thats awesome. Really cool mod.
Old 08-28-02, 03:42 AM
meZoom!
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i like your HIDs. too bad ES's are projective and not reflective huh.
Old 08-28-02, 02:12 PM
amrit50
Driver

how did you get the rain/fog lights to turn on without the headlights being on?

I used a relay and hooked them up to the parking lights when I did my alarm. The angel eyes and fogs come on w/ the parking lights. I wanted to put in relay anyway since i changed the bulbs in the fog lights to PIAA plasma.
Old 08-28-02, 02:23 PM
amrit50
Driver

Default HID questions:

There is really no comparison b/n the OEM light or blue bulbs and HID. The PIAA xtreme white are the closest color to HID i've ever seen. However, the intenisty is no where close. The HID light is 3x brighter, per light. The difference is phenomenal at the least. I recommend this to everyone. It really makes your Lexus stand out. I got beam pattern exact bulbs from autolights.net, and they are perfect indeed. There are no hot or cold spots, only a perfect light distribution. They have a 9006 base, and they have been modified to that the point where they create the light is the same as the stock bulb. This maintains the perfect pattern, and the famous cutoff that projectors are famous for. I haven't noticed any blue flicker (unfortunately). I was really hoping for that BMW look. The lights are 5600K so they do have a little purple/blue color to them which is cool. People tell me that they look really good. I don't know what is is about those Audi and BMW projectors that causes that flicker, but the Lexus projectors never did that. Even the older projectors w/o xenon from Audi flicker. So, I don't know what causes that. I've never been pulled, flashed at, or blinded oncoming traffic, so I suggest you get HID. The fog lights are easily hooked up to the parking lamps. All you need to find is the wire that is hot when the parking lamps come on, and run it into the engine bay, and hook it up to a relay. Write back if you need more detailed instructions. I can help w/ that.

meZoom! why do you say that it's too bad the housings are projective? I think it's better. It's more expensive, better looking, and a more precise and efficient lighting.
Old 08-28-02, 03:38 PM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

See, I wanted to do angel eyes a while ago. BUt it didn't seem that I knew what I was doing. And I want to hook the angel eyes to my switch that controls my nozzle lights. So that I can turn my aftermarket lights on all at once. and turn them off if police show up. I also wanted to have my rain lights come one when I want them to, like, I dont want them wired to my parking lamps. I want to be able to turn them on without any headlamps or parking lamps on... Can I do this?
Old 08-28-02, 08:05 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The HID's look nice, why'd you have to do that to me? I'd convinced myself I didn't need them, but now I'm thinking again. The angel eyes don't suit my tastes, but that's just my opinion.

Quick Reply: ES 300 clear corners and angel eyes