Notices
Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

Upgrading 99 Headlights to Lexus HIDs

Old 08-18-02, 07:38 AM
RX989
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrading 99 Headlights to Lexus HIDs

Hello Everyone. I am the owner of a 99 RX300 and I had a question about changing out the headlights. I recently purchased the 01 HID Headlights off Ebay and took them to the dealor for install. Now the dealer states the wiring harnesses are different and has to void the warrenty to try and install them. Does anyone know of a way to install them??? I know I could do the installation but I dont have a service manual to identify the wires. Please Help!!!!!
Old 08-20-02, 02:01 AM
PortAh
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Upgrading 00 Headlights to Lexus HIDs

Same question, is it a DIY for '00?
Any pointer appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited by PortAh; 08-20-02 at 02:02 AM.
Old 08-20-02, 03:23 PM
spinteews
Lexus Test Driver

hrm... if i am not mistaken... the 01 HID headlamp is different then the 01 regular headlamp. On the back of the 01 HID headlamp it has some kinda bubble circle thing on it right? Thats hard to change and do sine you'll need a ballast... i'm not postivly sure about this either.

ALSO if you bring into dealer, how much are they charging you? Because i hope they will not try to change all the wireing harness and add in the self leveling device. Because if they do that, then its going to cost you an arm and a leg. i've asked before.

Maybe Hendry can help you out... you there hendry?
Old 08-24-02, 12:34 AM
Jonnystan
Driver

I have been trying to find my answer on other threads but there is alot of info on HIDs, so I will just ask here.

Do I have to buy a HID system specifically for the RX, or are they general systems that fit almost any car? I have been looking on ebay, if someone could steer me the right direction that would be great...
Old 08-29-02, 02:40 PM
Handogen
Driver

I'm working on the same project of replacing my 99 headlamps with the newer design. I just purchased one for the driver's side and am keeping my eye out for the matching passenger's side headlamp. I'm in ATL on business but will be back to Denver tomorrow night. I'm going to look into what it takes to replace the headlamps probably next week.

Anybody have anymore information on this subject? The headlights look the same on the front (except for minor differences), meaning the lights are all in the same place, etc... So what's the big difference between a set of '99 headlamps and 01/02 headlamps?
Old 08-04-03, 03:11 PM
Camshaft
Lead Lap

Can I put Rx300 HIDs in my SC300?
Old 08-05-03, 03:50 PM
cheapsk8
Driver

Smile

I don't want to get off on a rant here, but dealers usually are full of BS when it comes to customers modifying their cars. I can understand in this lawsuit happy world of today they want to cover their butts and not get sued because someone burnt up their car due to improper installation (this goes for any mod not just electrical). If you think about it, the people who could help us the most are helping us the least. Who better to ask about a modification than the factory (or designer) who built it.

I ran into a similar problem when I was doing my ES mod (will post pics ASAP). I wanted 2000 HID housings in my 98 ES(being a big stock look fan ya know), so I did what I thought was the sensible thing, dialed 1-800-25LEXUS..wrong!!.
The lady on the line did not know the answer but she assured me she could find out and call me back. To my supprise she did but my excitement was crucified when she informed me that this was impossible and she suggested that if I want HID's I purchase a Lexus that has HID's.........sure. The dealerships offered microscopically better news when they said that I would need to include the autoleveling devices and purchase a whole front wiring harness (while waving a fistfull of $1000 bills to obtain all of the grossly overpriced TOYOTA OEM parts. I smiled and backed away reeal slow and decided to search for the answer on my own....this is when I discovered the great state of mind known as.....CLUB LEXUS!!

I immediately went to the lighting forum and noticed all of the cool mods CL members were doing to their cars using HID conversion kits. Not one person at the factory or dealership ever suggested this. I was seriously going to go that route before finding OEM housings, but still, this was an option. Thanks to ROMINL(THE GODFATHER...^ROMFATHER??) and all of the other incredibly helpful members, modifications no longer seem impossible.

But to get back to your question........what was it again?....oh! I don't think the harnesses are much different. The plugs ARE different. I just think that to have two completely different harnesses would not be cost effective. TOYOTA will want to do it as cheap as possible and still have it UL approved, this pretty much goes for all manufacturers. Try to break things down logically. Put the correct plugs on your harness to adapt to your HID enclosure. Try turning them on.... you could even try ONE first then both. Keep in mind that if your fuses don't blow you are NOT overloading your wires. If it pops and you don't want to risk trying a heavier fuse, you can either run hevier wire from your fuse box ...to the headlight switch... and back to the light. Or you can simply run a heavy enough wire (with correct fuse) directy from the battery to the low beam(HID) section of your lamp and use a simple 12v relay on the low beam connecter on your harness to turn this circut on and off....this relay will draw less current than the halogen low beams you currently have!
HID ballasts are 12 volt 35 watt units. I actually had a dealership say they were 24volts! do you have two batteries on your car? I sure don't!! The only thing on your car that is not 12 volts are the spark plugs...which is why they are controlled by a coil. At startup they will draw a spike of current, then they will draw less. If you really want the exact answer you can purchase an amp tester that clips around the the wires and measures current draw. Try it on your halogens firs and then on your HID's that will tell you the difference....regardless of what the dealership says.
thanks for your time!!!
chris
sorry about spelling..in a hurry
Old 08-05-03, 05:13 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by cheapsk8
I don't want to get off on a rant here, but dealers usually are full of BS when it comes to customers modifying their cars. I can understand in this lawsuit happy world of today they want to cover their butts and not get sued because someone burnt up their car due to improper installation (this goes for any mod not just electrical). If you think about it, the people who could help us the most are helping us the least. Who better to ask about a modification than the factory (or designer) who built it.

I ran into a similar problem when I was doing my ES mod (will post pics ASAP). I wanted 2000 HID housings in my 98 ES(being a big stock look fan ya know), so I did what I thought was the sensible thing, dialed 1-800-25LEXUS..wrong!!.
The lady on the line did not know the answer but she assured me she could find out and call me back. To my supprise she did but my excitement was crucified when she informed me that this was impossible and she suggested that if I want HID's I purchase a Lexus that has HID's.........sure. The dealerships offered microscopically better news when they said that I would need to include the autoleveling devices and purchase a whole front wiring harness (while waving a fistfull of $1000 bills to obtain all of the grossly overpriced TOYOTA OEM parts. I smiled and backed away reeal slow and decided to search for the answer on my own....this is when I discovered the great state of mind known as.....CLUB LEXUS!!

I immediately went to the lighting forum and noticed all of the cool mods CL members were doing to their cars using HID conversion kits. Not one person at the factory or dealership ever suggested this. I was seriously going to go that route before finding OEM housings, but still, this was an option. Thanks to ROMINL(THE GODFATHER...^ROMFATHER??) and all of the other incredibly helpful members, modifications no longer seem impossible.

But to get back to your question........what was it again?....oh! I don't think the harnesses are much different. The plugs ARE different. I just think that to have two completely different harnesses would not be cost effective. TOYOTA will want to do it as cheap as possible and still have it UL approved, this pretty much goes for all manufacturers. Try to break things down logically. Put the correct plugs on your harness to adapt to your HID enclosure. Try turning them on.... you could even try ONE first then both. Keep in mind that if your fuses don't blow you are NOT overloading your wires. If it pops and you don't want to risk trying a heavier fuse, you can either run hevier wire from your fuse box ...to the headlight switch... and back to the light. Or you can simply run a heavy enough wire (with correct fuse) directy from the battery to the low beam(HID) section of your lamp and use a simple 12v relay on the low beam connecter on your harness to turn this circut on and off....this relay will draw less current than the halogen low beams you currently have!
HID ballasts are 12 volt 35 watt units. I actually had a dealership say they were 24volts! do you have two batteries on your car? I sure don't!! The only thing on your car that is not 12 volts are the spark plugs...which is why they are controlled by a coil. At startup they will draw a spike of current, then they will draw less. If you really want the exact answer you can purchase an amp tester that clips around the the wires and measures current draw. Try it on your halogens firs and then on your HID's that will tell you the difference....regardless of what the dealership says.
thanks for your time!!!
chris
sorry about spelling..in a hurry
What's the status of your mod, did you buy the OEM housings, bulbs and ballasts? Any pics? Where did you find a good deal on them? THanks a bunch!
Old 08-06-03, 03:51 PM
cheapsk8
Driver

Originally posted by ES3
What's the status of your mod, did you buy the OEM housings, bulbs and ballasts? Any pics? Where did you find a good deal on them? THanks a bunch!
keep your eyes on ebay, I would try to find a good used pair....if you are looking at salvage yards they usually run about $500 - $600 with bulbs and ballasts. I purchased one of my headlights on ebay for $130 with bulbs and ballasts!!! the ones on ebay are usually only available one at a time.
good luck!!
-chris
Old 09-29-03, 11:37 AM
whitels
Lexus Test Driver

Received 17 Likes on 2 Posts

Wondering if any of you guys you were able to complete your OEM HID transplant. I just want to know a few things before I plunge myself into this great project. Thanks.
Joe