Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

07 IS250 headlight issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-10, 01:12 PM
yamahaSi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 IS250 headlight issues

I recently bought a used IS250, which showed a clean carfax report. My right front headlight went out and when I took it in to the dealer, they said I needed to replace the passenger side headlight ECU to the tune of $1289.

Does this sound right at all? I'm not showing any dash warning lights and it's only the right front headlight that's out... tail lights, DRLs and fogs on both sides still work fine, which leads me to think it couldn't be an ECU problem. Is the dealership trying to scam me out of something I could fix for much cheaper?

The actual invoice wording is: "vehicle needs new r/f headlamp assy"

I'll try to update with pics and more info tomorrow morning, stuck at work tonight.
Old 12-19-10, 01:55 AM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

do you still have warranty?

if you have stock HIDs then it might be the ballast. check the fuse too.

bring it to another dealership.
Old 12-19-10, 11:12 AM
yamahaSi
Driver School Candidate

It is under warranty, but the dealer will not cover it since apparantly the car was involved in an accident. I'll look into the fuses, where's the fusebox located on these? I've only had the car about a week, haven't had much time to poke around yet.

Unfortunately there's only 2 dealerships within 20 miles... both owned by the same group. The next closest is 80 miles away... I'll check out the sister dealership nearby and see if I get a different answer.
Old 12-21-10, 05:30 AM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

If it were involved in an accident it can be a variety of things. The body shop could have forgot to plug everything back up correctly. I would check there too. Could also be thy your bulb on that side is dead.

You'd be surprised what u pay for vs what u actually get when u take your car to the dealer. I'd be surprised if they tested each of these at all
Old 01-15-11, 09:16 PM
jmaxey6622
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow, i hope you have gotten this resolved. seems pricey!
Old 01-28-11, 04:46 PM
GoCatGo11
Pole Position

Just go to Sewell Lexus parts online and sign up for membership. I believe it's 500+ for the set.
Old 11-04-11, 06:36 PM
Clarissa
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy A new headlight will not fix the problem either

I was having the same issue with my driver's side light. I would turn it on, and it would go off after a couple of minutes. If I turned them off, and right back on, it would work again...for a couple of minutes. Well, after a truck driving in front of me "made it rain" concrete pieces/rocks on my car, it went into the shop. Needed 2 new headlights, new windshield, etc. I thought I was killing 2 birds with one stone. Nope! Picked my car up, and the headlight is doing the exact same thing! So it has to be something behind it. But what?!?!
Old 12-18-11, 09:18 PM
Up2high
Driver School Candidate

Default 2007 is250 driver side headlight won't stay on

I have the same problem as above. Driver side headlight. Light would come on for 20 minutes and then turn off. This is in automatic when I switch the lights from auto to ON they don't come on. Changed ballast and bulb on that side and it still does the same thing. Clean car fax report but there's evidence of an accident on that front bumper. What else can it be. I've already been pulled over once for that headlight. Is it a wiring issue. Please help!!!
Old 03-17-12, 07:59 AM
VTECMAN
Driver School Candidate

My 2007 is has the exact same problem. This looks like an issue with a lot of them. A solution would be nice from lexus for this.
Old 03-17-12, 09:38 AM
jvxdriver
Rookie

I had this same issue 2 weeks ago on my driver-side headlight. Last week I decided to take out the entire headlight and test to see whether it's the ballast or the bulb or both. As it turns out, the bulb is the culprit. The bulb was hazed up and showing its sign. I replaced it with a new bulb and it's working fine.

Since I had my bumper off, I also checked the passenger-side (which is good to begin with). The bulb was also showing sign of hazing too. I decided to replace it too.

At one time, I helped another forum member who happened to live in the same area and he has the same issue, and it turns out to be the bulb as well. My conclusion is that the Philips D4S bulbs are not reliable (or that they don't work well with Denso D4 ballast). I used Philips D2S bulbs in my CRX for many years with no problem. The D2S bulbs lose lumen and change color over time, but I haven't seen them having problem with turning on and off. Hope this help. You can replace the bulbs which cost around $100. Don't waste $1289 and your time at the dealer.

Last edited by jvxdriver; 03-18-12 at 10:47 AM.
Old 03-17-12, 06:18 PM
Nicecar
Rookie

07 IS250 I'm having the same issues. Has the bulb change resolved the problems?

Last edited by Nicecar; 03-17-12 at 06:21 PM.
Old 03-17-12, 08:41 PM
VTECMAN
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Nicecar
07 IS250 I'm having the same issues. Has the bulb change resolved the problems?

I am curious as well. Was the bulb the culprit?
Old 11-20-12, 04:48 PM
cleeout
Driver School Candidate

Default 2007 is250 headlights problems- i'm a girl and need advice

i have 2007 IS250 Lexus with only 48k miles and the headlights come on then go off. I know for a fact it's not the blast, so that can be ruled out. I need to know if it's low/high beam D4S 55 B HID lights or the low beam halogen bulbs. If I turn my headlights on high beam they work fine, but if I have it on low beam its stays on for a little and then goes out. I need to know which bulb I need either the halogen bulbs H11 55 B or the D4S 55 B HID bulb .. too many shaded repairs shops they quoted me so many different prices and I want to buy the bulbs myself and pay for them to be installed so I don't get screwed. I hope somebody could help me.

If it's the HID bulbs D4S, I don't want to buy thoses damn expensive bulbs. Is there another kind I can use?
Old 11-21-12, 07:04 PM
Adam350is
Pole Position

wow... in my 2007 is350 driver's side headlight i have the same issue!!! my passenger headlight is fine. and i just dropped the bumper and replaced the ballast. its still reoccurring. i should have switched the bulbs when i had the bumper off. but, i will get new phillips ultion d4s 6000k in a few days, and drop the bumper and headlights and repeat lol. i'll let you guys know if it solves the problem. i really hope it does!
Old 01-08-13, 09:43 PM
tarsarrus
Driver School Candidate

Default did the bulb replacement fix it?

Originally Posted by Adam350is
wow... in my 2007 is350 driver's side headlight i have the same issue!!! my passenger headlight is fine. and i just dropped the bumper and replaced the ballast. its still reoccurring. i should have switched the bulbs when i had the bumper off. but, i will get new phillips ultion d4s 6000k in a few days, and drop the bumper and headlights and repeat lol. i'll let you guys know if it solves the problem. i really hope it does!
I just bought an 07 IS250 that has the same issue with passanger headlight. Turns off after about 20 minutes of driving. If i turn it off and then back on it works sometimes for longer period but sometimes only for 20 minutes or so. Just ordered new bulbs. Curious to know if it fixed your problem when you replaced the bulb?

Quick Reply: 07 IS250 headlight issues