Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

07 IS250 headlight issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-14, 10:45 AM
panda327
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by XenonDepot
What problems were you having? You should be able to get the headlights without removing the bumper.

To confirm, do you have factory HID or aftermarket? If its a bulb issue, I would replace both so they match.

Danny
My driver side headlight turns off now and then. Either from startup or it turns off while driving.

I have factory HIDS so I just purchased the Toshiba D4s replacements. I am not sure how different they are from the Philips, but reviews say they are a little brighter... i'm okay with that since the driver side headlight aims lower anyways.... aslong they are the same colour.
Old 05-05-14, 12:28 PM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by panda327
My driver side headlight turns off now and then. Either from startup or it turns off while driving.

I have factory HIDS so I just purchased the Toshiba D4s replacements. I am not sure how different they are from the Philips, but reviews say they are a little brighter... i'm okay with that since the driver side headlight aims lower anyways.... aslong they are the same colour.
Hope that solves the issue! Because one bulb is newer than the other there could still be a slight color difference.

Danny
Old 09-24-14, 11:15 PM
psalms23
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2007 IS250 I've had problem this for about 2 years of coming and going off until passenger side stop coming on. Will best to replace one or both?
Old 09-25-14, 12:13 PM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by psalms23
2007 IS250 I've had problem this for about 2 years of coming and going off until passenger side stop coming on. Will best to replace one or both?
If you want the lights to match up in terms of color than I would recommend replacing both. Have you checked to see if its a bulb or ballast issue?

Danny
Old 06-08-15, 05:25 PM
hillwood
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default same issue

i have a 2007 is250 about a year ago the left headlight was going out so i replaced the ballast now the right headlight is acting up like the left one took the car to a local shop they told me to replace both ballast so i ordered oem ballast they installed them now i got the car back and its worse now both headlights come on for about 5 minutes then the left is acting up comes on and off and then both headlights turn off and don't work the local shop said they tried different bulbs i don't know what to try and do now if anyone can help i would appreciate it thinking of getting those d4s xenon bulbs or getting brand new headlights thanks
Old 03-12-16, 05:53 AM
jhriley
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know this post is old, but just in case someone else comes back here...I had the same problem. First the drivers side headlight started working off and on...first time found about it-- got pulled over and given warning ticket. After a few months doing nothing it started going off more often and finally the right side started to do the same. After reading on the web, I decided the easiest thing to do was change the bulbs. I ordered two Philips D4S bulbs on Amazon for $50 each. I saw a Youtube video on replacing the bulbs in my IS250 and it was easy following the steps. PROBLEM SOLVED.
Old 12-06-17, 07:40 PM
dlender
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default IS Intermittent headlight problem solved

Mine is a 2007 IS350. I bought it used and it now has 79K miles. One bulb went out in mid 2016 and I replaced both bulbs with Phillips HID bulbs (made in Germany, paid about $100 on eBay). Earlier this year one of these went out, but would come back on after turning lights off then on again. This annoying behavior became more frequent and so after reading the forums, watching Youtube videos etc., I thought it may be the ballast. I also swapped the bulbs (right to left and vice versa) and the right headlight would still go out so that ruled out the bulb..or so I thought. This headlight issue appears to be a common problem with some Lexus vehicles

After learning that you have to remove the front bumper to get the light assembly out then use a heat gun to take the headlight assembly apart to get to the ballast, I figured that I would try another set of bulbs first. I bought a pair of Kensun D4S 6000K HID bulbs on Amazon for $28.00 and what do you know, the problem went away and both headlights having been working fine with no blips for the past month. Maybe the connection was bad, maybe I got a bad set of Philips bulbs (they were definitely genuine Phillips not a scam knock off).

Lessons learned:

1. You don't have to buy expensive replacement bulbs. I know, you get what you pay for...maybe my opinion will change. Put latex or nitrile gloves on to handle the bulbs per instructions so you don't damage the bulbs.
2. Try a new pair of bulbs before even thinking about replacing the ballast. Replace in pairs, not just one bulb.
3. When replacing the bulbs you have to take the air box out and disconnect the sensor so if you start the car without the sensor reconnected you WILL get check engine lights. Don't worry, they will go away ( be cleared) after 3-4 engine restarts or after driving a few miles (I don't know which does it). You can also clear them with a code reader or go to an auto parts store who will do it.
4. If/when you break those plastic trim rivets/pins that secure the engine panels, you can buy them aftermarket in bulk cheap. Don't pay a lot for those.
5. Polish the external faces of the headlight assembly. There are some inexpensive, good, mild abrasives that work and renew your headlights. Meguiar's Plast-X works great.
6. If you have a socket set, a few screw drivers and a little DIY skill then you can replace the bulbs yourself. There are some good how to videos on the web to walk you through this. Going to a dealership will cost $$$ to replace bulbs or headlight assembly.

I am not a mechanic and so just take the above as my 2 cents of experience. Hope this is helpful.
The following users liked this post:
XenonDepot (12-08-17)