Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

DDM Tuning HID vs Volt HID for 2002 LX470

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-10, 08:29 AM
elite7
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DDM Tuning HID vs HIDExtra for 2002 LX470

I am thinking of upgrading the lights on my 2002 LX470 to either the DDM Tuning HID kit or the Volt HID kit. The DDM tuning hid kit would run me $52 shipped whereas the Volt HID kit would run me $114 shipped. What are the pros and cons to each kit? The price is a big difference and right now im leaning towards the ddm kit since it costs less than half of what the volt kit costs. Plus it has a lifetime warranty whereas the warranty on the volt kit is 1 year.

Im still on my stock bulbs and they are pretty dim. Also i remember that the stock bulbs used to be quite bright and then lexus issued a recall on the LX470. After i took it in for the recall the lights were dimmer. They installed some kind of a transistor. Would this affect the HID install at all? Also would a relay harness be essential and if so where can i find one?

I would greatly appreciate some help.

Last edited by elite7; 05-04-10 at 11:11 AM.
Old 05-03-10, 09:07 AM
dealer374
Driver

I have a few kits from DDM yes they are cheap but their customer service is abolutley horendous. I've have a kit in my ATV for a short while now which see's alot vibration, dirt, dust, mud, and water so far its holding up. You can check out these threads

-DDM Tuning thread
-My fog light post
-Little comparison thread
Old 05-03-10, 09:19 AM
elite7
Driver

Originally Posted by dealer374
I have a few kits from DDM yes they are cheap but their customer service is abolutley horendous. I've have a kit in my ATV for a short while now which see's alot vibration, dirt, dust, mud, and water so far its holding up. You can check out these threads

-DDM Tuning thread
-My fog light post
-Little comparison thread
Do other drivers complain? From what im reasearching volt laser balances their bulbs whereas ddm doesnt.
Old 05-03-10, 10:25 AM
BLACK ONYX
Driver School Candidate

I have Volt HID kit in my 470. They are great!
Old 05-03-10, 10:29 AM
elite7
Driver

Originally Posted by BLACK ONYX
I have Volt HID kit in my 470. They are great!
Yeah im so torn on which kit to get. I saw picks of one guys lx470 with the ddm tuning on the forums. If you dont mind can you post some pics of how they look and how the spread is? Also do other drivers complain about the glare? The problem i have with the volt is the warranty compared with the ddm.
Old 05-03-10, 10:53 AM
BLACK ONYX
Driver School Candidate

Ok, I will post some pictures tonight.

Originally Posted by elite7
Yeah im so torn on which kit to get. I saw picks of one guys lx470 with the ddm tuning on the forums. If you dont mind can you post some pics of how they look and how the spread is? Also do other drivers complain about the glare? The problem i have with the volt is the warranty compared with the ddm.
Old 05-03-10, 11:00 AM
elite7
Driver

Ok, I will post some pictures tonight.
Thank you. I appreciate it. I may go with the volt if it looks excellent, than i dont mind spending the extra $50. I just want something that will give excellent visibility in terms of lighting up the road and a nice spread. I will look forward to the pictures.
Old 05-03-10, 11:34 AM
LJGS300
Driver

Elite, try HIDextra.com- I just put some 6k in my GS and absolutety love the outout and color. I believe they were like $60 with CL disc. Excellent Cust service and shipping was extremely fast. Very easy to install as well...
Old 05-03-10, 12:01 PM
elite7
Driver

Originally Posted by LJGS300
Elite, try HIDextra.com- I just put some 6k in my GS and absolutety love the outout and color. I believe they were like $60 with CL disc. Excellent Cust service and shipping was extremely fast. Very easy to install as well...
Wow that sounds pretty reasonable. Can you post some pics up once it gets dark tonight? I would like to see how they look and the spread on them. I will be ordering HID's this week im just trying to decide which company to go with.
Old 05-03-10, 12:40 PM
LJGS300
Driver

Its been raining here all day and supposed to continue thru the night... I'll do my best to get some pics up tomorrow evening.
Old 05-03-10, 12:44 PM
elite7
Driver

Originally Posted by LJGS300
Its been raining here all day and supposed to continue thru the night... I'll do my best to get some pics up tomorrow evening.
I see. Sounds good. Thanks.
Old 05-03-10, 06:52 PM
dealer374
Driver

Do other drivers complain? From what im reasearching volt laser balances their bulbs whereas ddm doesnt.
I havent gotten any high beams or honks at me yet and it been a little while now. I never aimed mine down or in or anything just put 'em in
Old 05-03-10, 06:55 PM
elite7
Driver

Originally Posted by dealer374
I havent gotten any high beams or honks at me yet and it been a little while now. I never aimed mine down or in or anything just put 'em in
Ahh. Did you have to get the error canceling module? I hope i dont have to get that as it would run another $20. Im thinking that if the light out switch pops on my dash i may just take that fuse out.
Old 05-03-10, 07:33 PM
BLACK ONYX
Driver School Candidate

Hi, elite here are the pictures with Volt 6000K from xenondepot.

Thank you. I appreciate it. I may go with the volt if it looks excellent, than i dont mind spending the extra $50. I just want something that will give excellent visibility in terms of lighting up the road and a nice spread. I will look forward to the pictures.
Old 05-03-10, 07:35 PM
elite7
Driver

Hi, elite here are the pictures with Volt 6000K from xenondepot.

Wow looks amazing. Thanks for the pics. Appreciate it.

Quick Reply: DDM Tuning HID vs Volt HID for 2002 LX470