Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

Moisture In Headlight!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-02, 06:00 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Moisture In Headlight!!!

I can't believe I have moisture in one of my headlights My RX sat outside this evening (as it always does) and it is warm (80's) and rainy.

My first suspicion is this has something to do with my HID kit. I.E: there isn't a good seal where the headlight goes into the housing. But, I don't think that's the case because I have moisture inside my foglight area too, which has not been touched. What should I do? Put the halogens back in and make a trip to the dealer?
Attached Thumbnails Moisture In Headlight!!!-rx-005.jpg  
Old 06-05-02, 06:01 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

2/2
Attached Thumbnails Moisture In Headlight!!!-rx-006.jpg  
Old 06-05-02, 07:48 PM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmm...Only on the drivers side?

Did you drive it in the rain?
If so, how fast?
Old 06-05-02, 08:06 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Yeah, it's only on the driver's side.

I drove over to a friends house around 6pm - it hadn't been raining at all today. When I got back around 9pm it had been raining. So, it fogged up while sitting in the rain

I dread taking it to the dealer...I'm guess I'll remove my HID's so they don't blame that and try to void the warranty claim. I also think I'll take my a prental unit with me so we can get a loaner...I can't get a loaner yet since you have to be 21 to get one.

Also, if the replace the housing I would like for both to be replaced. It would look odd having a new and used one...to my trained eye at least

Last edited by LexRX; 06-05-02 at 08:08 PM.
Old 06-05-02, 08:36 PM
Sooner
Pole Position

that is somewhat common on the rx's dont worry bout rmoving anything it will be fine.any questions or problems pm me or ask fairuza11
Old 06-05-02, 10:08 PM
Shonuff
Pole Position

nick, you need to replace that yellowish colored parking light.....hahaha.
Old 06-05-02, 10:23 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Originally posted by Shonuff
nick, you need to replace that yellowish colored parking light.....hahaha.
Yeah, it looks really bad in the pic b/c I used the flash - it's not really that dim. I like it though because it contrasts with the xenon making them look more clear/blue. My digicam also shows more green where there should be more blue.

Last edited by LexRX; 06-05-02 at 10:24 PM.
Old 06-10-02, 09:36 AM
Handogen
Driver

I have to say it's nice to know I wasn't the only person who had this problem...

I had a problem with humidity in the right front headlight when I lived in Oregon. I moved out to the Denver area in March and haven't had the problem since... it must be the moisture in the air.

When I took it to the Lexus Dealer in Oregon, he said they had never seen anything like it and couldn't explain what the problem was. Sounds like a brush off to me... especially from what I've read in these forums. Several of you have had this common problem as well.

I'm thinking of buying new ones in the future... probably one of the newer tinted sets you see on the 2001/2002 models.... I'm just waiting to find the right deal. The newer ones look much better IMHO.

Hando
Old 06-10-02, 02:23 PM
malhokc
Pole Position

I had a similar problem with the moisture in the driver side headlight. I think it's due to the aftermarket bulbs not fitting well. But then the other should get the moisture also. Luckily, the dealer replaced at no cost to me.
Old 06-10-02, 09:39 PM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

Nick, I haven't read anyother posts execpt yours.... It is late and I figured I'll throw you a bone.... Tkae the HID's out and bring it to Lexus.... The Head lights/ Highs and Fogs are all one unit.... Hopefully you are still under warranty???? If so they'll replace it for you.... And if you wait alittle bit and have them put in the HID's for you.... So if anything happens after that it's there fault..... Hope this helps Nick........
Old 06-10-02, 10:42 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And then remember to install the HID kit on a hot dry day and make sure the chamber is sealed or you will repeat this incident.
Old 06-11-02, 10:55 AM
Jeff92se
Driver

When I was shopping for our RX for the wifey, I had a chance to see 4-5 used 99's on the Lexus lot. Most if not all had either moisture in the lights or signs of previous moisture(ie.. dried up stains inside the housings that dulled the lense). I thought was odd(and made the housings look bad). I would pretty much demand a warranty replacement. Our 2000 RX has not had the problem(nor has it had signs of a previous problem) but it sits in our garage at night.
Old 06-18-02, 04:09 AM
nerdspeed
Rookie

Default omg

I JUST GOT MOISTURE TOO!!
Old 06-18-02, 07:51 AM
wwest
Lead Lap

Default heat "cycling"

in humid climates/weather will do that if the headlamp is not completely and fully sealed. You can fix it temporarily by heating the assembly by running all lamps (incandesent) for awhile and then inserting the business end of a vacuum cleaner hose into the bulb socket area with a reasonably good seal. Low atmospheric pressure, slight vacuum, will cause the moisture to convert to a vapor (gas) and the vacuum will whisk it away.
Old 07-07-03, 01:30 PM
seang2
Driver School Candidate

I've been reading up on this moisture problem. I checked out a car today that I am considering purchasing. '93 SC400. I noticed that the driver's side front headlight had moisture, as well as the driver's side rear light (which was cracked).

I kept asking the guy about it, and all he could said was that it would pass inspection He totally missed my point of what could be done about it.

Will this cause any major problems? Should the guy selling the car (used dealer) be expected to do anything about it?

Quick Reply: Moisture In Headlight!!!