Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

HIDEXTRA.com HID Review

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-10, 08:23 PM
Mike813
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rvalero
^Wow, sorry to hear about all your trouble. I got my slim kit back when Michelle was the rep. They provided tech support over the phone, and through e-mail. Hopefully your experience doesn't become an ongoing trend. Are people with the slim ballasts also having trouble?
i had a few issues with their bulbs that i bought but not the ballast itself but they took care of that in about a weeks time. it was almost around 3 sets of bulbs i had to report to be defective before these worked out. I think they ended up buying a bad bulk or something but honest truth they took care of my emails and communicated asap to my emails. all you have to do is follow their pdf. instructions on how to receive a replacement.

the issue i was having was constant bulb flickering as well, now it flickers at start up like 2 times and settles but that is a norm from what i hear.
Old 12-30-10, 12:51 AM
quang
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

agree, their email response seems to be very slow.
Old 12-30-10, 10:25 AM
HIDXTRA
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry about the late replies guys. had some issue with our email system this week. We promise everything will be to normal by Friday.
Old 01-08-11, 09:56 PM
malmon
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Just ordered another set. I have ordered one before for a camry hydrid and the output is still bright as sunlight. Thanks.
Old 01-08-11, 10:51 PM
malmon
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jjbenzo
Hid Extra seems to sell junk. I ordered a pair of 6000k HID bulbs a couple weeks ago. Instantly one flickered as soon as I turned the headlights on for the first time (and continued to do so, but would stay lit), while the other would flicker for a few seconds and then go out completely. I am so sick of dealing with these people. I have sent countless emails regarding my disappointment and requesting replacements. Never once did they acknowledge my emails. I ended up putting my old HID bulbs (another brand, 8000k's) back in for the meantime. It looks like I just lost money on this one as I don't anticipate ever actually getting replacements sent out (since they can't answer any emails). Does poor quality and no communication seem to be the norm for these people? I truly think HIDExtra.com is not up to the level of customer service that Lexus owners expect. I think if ClubLexus.com moderators knew about the junk these people sell, that HIDExtra would not be a ClubLexus sponsor. So, who puts out quality HID bulbs?
I have ordered HID kits from HIDEXTRA.COM, XENONDEPOT.COM, as well as cheap ebay stuff.

My experience with XENONDEPOT.COM is not a good one. The first set I ordered from Steve worked out great, but at that time HID kits costs around $500. I don't know how long the kit lasted because I sold the car already. The second order is a very big disappointment. The lights will flicker and the light outputs are uneven. One side appears yellowish while the other is completely white. It still works but its is annoying to have uneven light output, and when driving through rough terrain, the lights will flicker for a few seconds and come back on. Its on an 08 GX470. For the price of their products, it should be problem-free.

Now with HIDEXTRA.COM, it has been very good SO FAR. I have ordered one for an 08 camry hybrid and the output is evenly white bright light. I just placed an order for a Honda Pilot today, the HID kit I installed on it just died. Bought it from ebay for about the same price as HIDEXTRA.
Old 01-08-11, 11:28 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Have you checked all you connections for the flickering? Is it both sides or just one? I have bought 2 kits from steve and they are Awesome! 1st kit is going on 2 years old--and has been perfect.. Just bought my 2nd kit for foglights 4 months ago and they are perfect as well.
have you contacted Steve? I bet he will swap out whatever it is that may be bad--bulb/ballast?
Old 01-09-11, 11:44 AM
malmon
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Booyah
Have you checked all you connections for the flickering? Is it both sides or just one? I have bought 2 kits from steve and they are Awesome! 1st kit is going on 2 years old--and has been perfect.. Just bought my 2nd kit for foglights 4 months ago and they are perfect as well.
have you contacted Steve? I bet he will swap out whatever it is that may be bad--bulb/ballast?
Yes, all connections are tight and secure. Its not really rocket science to install these kits, you just push in the connectors together until it clicks into place. And no, calling Steve will be useless for several reasons: 1. intermittent flickering problem is annoying but livable, what is he going to do? replace the whole kit?.
2. the bulbs or the ballast needs to be replaced to correct the uneven light output, I would have to take out the bulbs or ballast, send it to him, wait for him to see if its defective and send me a replacement. His company is based in Canada, takes about a week to get anything from him. How many times do I have to go through the installation process of removing the engine cover, taking out the car battery, etc.?

Because of the high volume of sales from these companies, there would always be defective ones that will pop up. Even a company as big as toyota have quality issues. I don't believe any of these kits are made in Japan or Germany as alleged on their website, I suspect all these kits are made in China. I favor HIDEXTRA because they are based in the US, hopefully they hire more people as the company grows. Their kit sells for about 1/4 the price of the Canadian-based company.

As much as I believe in the first amendment, I will not threadcrap on Xenondepot's thread by promoting HIDEXTTRA over there. There is freedom of speech and there is common decency.
Old 01-09-11, 01:49 PM
tardorange
Driver

Originally Posted by malmon
I have ordered HID kits from HIDEXTRA.COM, XENONDEPOT.COM, as well as cheap ebay stuff.

My experience with XENONDEPOT.COM is not a good one. The first set I ordered from Steve worked out great, but at that time HID kits costs around $500. I don't know how long the kit lasted because I sold the car already. The second order is a very big disappointment. The lights will flicker and the light outputs are uneven. One side appears yellowish while the other is completely white. It still works but its is annoying to have uneven light output, and when driving through rough terrain, the lights will flicker for a few seconds and come back on. Its on an 08 GX470. For the price of their products, it should be problem-free.

Now with HIDEXTRA.COM, it has been very good SO FAR. I have ordered one for an 08 camry hybrid and the output is evenly white bright light. I just placed an order for a Honda Pilot today, the HID kit I installed on it just died. Bought it from ebay for about the same price as HIDEXTRA.
These people never respond to calls or anything. . You guys are lucky Lexus cars don't need error canceling wires BMW does...and when I got the kit installed from HIDextra BOTH canceling wires/cables BLEW. Imagine driving at night on a rural highway and you hear two bangs and both lights go out....

8k is supposed to be bluish white but my 8k is now starting to look more like stock 4300k. Will post pictures in a bit.
Old 01-09-11, 02:45 PM
malmon
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tardorange
These people never respond to calls or anything. . You guys are lucky Lexus cars don't need error canceling wires BMW does...and when I got the kit installed from HIDextra BOTH canceling wires/cables BLEW. Imagine driving at night on a rural highway and you hear two bangs and both lights go out....

8k is supposed to be bluish white but my 8k is now starting to look more like stock 4300k. Will post pictures in a bit.
I have no experience contacting them, never had to since the order I got worked pretty good. If I were you, I would contact the BBB and Dept of Consumer Affairs, hopefully this would jolt their lazy azzzes off their chairs.
Old 01-09-11, 03:29 PM
JForce
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I ordered from xenondepot due to another member's recommendation here and so far the experience has been less than stellar (not to discredit the CL member as he had a good experience). Order has been delayed for two weeks and I even had to email them for a price discount that was advertised on their site. (only steve here helped and emailing them was just utterly useless as days went by with no response). I can only hope that the bulbs are what they say they are, because if these bulbs don't impress me, don't count on me going back. I'm still giving them a chance with their product and the fact that it's from germany.
Old 01-09-11, 07:02 PM
UR2klose
Pole Position

no complaints here. i ordered both my kits during the black friday sale. got them in the mail 4-5 days later, installed them that same night and havent had any problems with them yet. all the bulbs match up perfectly and the color was exactly what i wanted. will be ordering another kit from them for my high beams..

Old 01-10-11, 03:30 PM
Dacha
Driver School Candidate

I would like to upgrade to HID lights and would like to know if the HIDeXtra kits are AC or DC?
I could not find and answer by searching the forum.

Thanks
Old 01-10-11, 08:17 PM
Dacha
Driver School Candidate

I think I found what I was looking for. HID Extra kits are DC and are available on Amazon for $42 with free shipping while on hidextra.com they charge $59. That is why they go on all possible forums and promote them as being on sale or $45 or $48.
http://www.amazon.com/TRUSS-6000k-Di...=3J0QV9E7LPENV
The life expectancy of DC ballasts is 2 years, that is why they come with a 2 year warranty. Most of the kits sold in the past 2 years should start to fail pretty soon. :/

Last edited by Dacha; 01-10-11 at 08:28 PM.
Old 01-10-11, 10:59 PM
malmon
Intermediate

Wish you posted here yesterday, I could have saved $18.
Old 01-13-11, 01:09 PM
kendunk21
Driver School Candidate

For a 2000 LX470 HID conversion kit, do I have to drill a hole in the back of the headlight housing or do you have a kit that does not require drilling?

Thanks!

Quick Reply: HIDEXTRA.com HID Review