Notices
Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

HIDEXTRA.com HID Review

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-10, 06:03 PM
quang
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

mine too only happens at "cold" start up. i.e it flicker 4 -6 times, and then becomes solid. Once it becomes solid, if your turn the switch off and on, off and on immediately, they do not flicker. However, if you let the light off/rest/cool for a longer period of time, then it will flicker 4 -6 times again at start up but become solid afterward.
Old 12-24-10, 12:37 AM
tardorange
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like how this vendor did not respond to the problems I experienced with the dangerous anti flicker cables. STAY AWAY.

Btw the guy with the Acura/Honda Civic thats not 5k thats 8k...does it start off dark blue? The lights flicker on 5 series to for a a few seconds...sounds normal.
Old 12-24-10, 05:54 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

did u attempt to call them or email them? since they dont seem to be that active on the forum.
Old 12-24-10, 10:43 AM
huch
Rookie

Originally Posted by tardorange
I like how this vendor did not respond to the problems I experienced with the dangerous anti flicker cables. STAY AWAY.

Btw the guy with the Acura/Honda Civic thats not 5k thats 8k...does it start off dark blue? The lights flicker on 5 series to for a a few seconds...sounds normal.
No they don't start off dark blue...they start off at sort of a light blue then turn into the distinct bluish (as seen in the pictures) tint as the bulb warms up.

I will be checking out the H11 bulbs (his fogs) this weekend and we'll see how that goes. I'll take pictures of those too. I'm also gonna check the 9006 5000k kit that I bought for my IS350 fogs, before I attempt to put it in. I don't want blue fogs, I want white fogs.
Old 12-24-10, 02:20 PM
LXotic
Lexus Test Driver

Can anyone with the hidextra kit comment on the durability/reliability of the kid and the light output? Trying to order a set before the sale ends.
Old 12-24-10, 04:35 PM
Mike813
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LXotic
Can anyone with the hidextra kit comment on the durability/reliability of the kid and the light output? Trying to order a set before the sale ends.
ive had a set of for them on my wifes civic since 2006 and only issue was one bulb blew just recently when this whole "bad batch" of bulbs started happening was the only hiccup ive had from them. other than that i had a set of promax which 1 ballast crapped out in about a year no warranty since it was ebay brand & a xentec which also crapped out also a ebay brand. but i do have a set of xenon depot big philips ballast from back in the days when hid kits were around 3-400$'s and that was roughly in 2002-2003 and still works as if it was new. for me both vendors kits worked out fine for me and never had any big issues.
Old 12-24-10, 04:53 PM
LXotic
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Mike813
ive had a set of for them on my wifes civic since 2006 and only issue was one bulb blew just recently when this whole "bad batch" of bulbs started happening was the only hiccup ive had from them. other than that i had a set of promax which 1 ballast crapped out in about a year no warranty since it was ebay brand & a xentec which also crapped out also a ebay brand. but i do have a set of xenon depot big philips ballast from back in the days when hid kits were around 3-400$'s and that was roughly in 2002-2003 and still works as if it was new. for me both vendors kits worked out fine for me and never had any big issues.
Thanks for the feedback. Would you say that the light output is significantly improved from the standard halogens?
Old 12-24-10, 06:04 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by LXotic
Thanks for the feedback. Would you say that the light output is significantly improved from the standard halogens?

Light output for HIDS are 1000X better! Just dont go any higher than 5K..anything over and you lose lighting and it gets really blue
Old 12-25-10, 10:38 PM
tardorange
Driver

Originally Posted by LiCelsior
did u attempt to call them or email them? since they dont seem to be that active on the forum.
Yup no one picks up the phone always goes to the message.
Old 12-25-10, 10:39 PM
tardorange
Driver

Originally Posted by huch
No they don't start off dark blue...they start off at sort of a light blue then turn into the distinct bluish (as seen in the pictures) tint as the bulb warms up.

I will be checking out the H11 bulbs (his fogs) this weekend and we'll see how that goes. I'll take pictures of those too. I'm also gonna check the 9006 5000k kit that I bought for my IS350 fogs, before I attempt to put it in. I don't want blue fogs, I want white fogs.
Does not sound like 8k. On my 5 series it starts off dark blue then goes to a white bluish light. But it looks the same as your pictures. If you have a car with OEM xenons check to see what the difference is between OEM/What ever you got lol.

If the bulbs you got were 8k/10k they will be less bright then OEM xenon in terms of (beam patten/beam output).
Old 12-28-10, 09:15 PM
delphi
Driver School Candidate

Just placed an order - Hopefully these are nicer than the ones in my Acura

Turns out, the ones on my Acura where nicer.

These came fast and the price was reasonable. They are not slim ballast but I knew that when ordering. I figured it was a good product since they are all over clublexus...

When it gets cold out (~40F) its a 50/50 if they will work. I have had a few nights where I drove around looking like an ******* with one headlight out. If its freezing you got a better chance of a ****ing ice cream than my hids working.
They are cheap HIDs so its somewhat understandable that they suck in the extreme temperatures. My ancient (4 years old) aftermarket, cheap HID's for my Acura worked just fine in the freezing though.

I got 5000k - they are blue. They look like 6000k to me. Friends with 6000k lights from other companies, side by side are almost identical to my "5000k" that I ordered.

I am doing all LED's in my 2G GS - V-LEDS.com is local and is having a sale - slim ballast, great reviews, $59.99 + 15% off. I just ordered a set for my fogs and low beams, along with the remainder of my interior/exterior LED's. I am expecting to be much happier.

- Anyone want a "5000k" HIDEXTRA 9006 HID setup? $20 shipped with only 2 months use!
Old 12-29-10, 11:06 AM
huch
Rookie

Originally Posted by delphi

Turns out, the ones on my Acura where nicer.

These came fast and the price was reasonable. They are not slim ballast but I knew that when ordering. I figured it was a good product since they are all over clublexus...

When it gets cold out (~40F) its a 50/50 if they will work. I have had a few nights where I drove around looking like an ******* with one headlight out. If its freezing you got a better chance of a ****ing ice cream than my hids working.
They are cheap HIDs so its somewhat understandable that they suck in the extreme temperatures. My ancient (4 years old) aftermarket, cheap HID's for my Acura worked just fine in the freezing though.

I got 5000k - they are blue. They look like 6000k to me. Friends with 6000k lights from other companies, side by side are almost identical to my "5000k" that I ordered.

I am doing all LED's in my 2G GS - V-LEDS.com is local and is having a sale - slim ballast, great reviews, $59.99 + 15% off. I just ordered a set for my fogs and low beams, along with the remainder of my interior/exterior LED's. I am expecting to be much happier.

- Anyone want a "5000k" HIDEXTRA 9006 HID setup? $20 shipped with only 2 months use!

Did your 5000k look like the pictures I posted a few pages back?
Old 12-29-10, 06:03 PM
jjbenzo
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Hid Extra seems to sell junk. I ordered a pair of 6000k HID bulbs a couple weeks ago. Instantly one flickered as soon as I turned the headlights on for the first time (and continued to do so, but would stay lit), while the other would flicker for a few seconds and then go out completely. I am so sick of dealing with these people. I have sent countless emails regarding my disappointment and requesting replacements. Never once did they acknowledge my emails. I ended up putting my old HID bulbs (another brand, 8000k's) back in for the meantime. It looks like I just lost money on this one as I don't anticipate ever actually getting replacements sent out (since they can't answer any emails). Does poor quality and no communication seem to be the norm for these people? I truly think HIDExtra.com is not up to the level of customer service that Lexus owners expect. I think if ClubLexus.com moderators knew about the junk these people sell, that HIDExtra would not be a ClubLexus sponsor. So, who puts out quality HID bulbs?
Old 12-29-10, 06:20 PM
rvalero
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^Wow, sorry to hear about all your trouble. I got my slim kit back when Michelle was the rep. They provided tech support over the phone, and through e-mail. Hopefully your experience doesn't become an ongoing trend. Are people with the slim ballasts also having trouble?
Old 12-29-10, 06:26 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

XENONDEPOT.COM Not junk at all--I have 2 sets in my GX and I have been at -10 to -15 recently for a week and both sets fired up every single time!!! Awesome quality with slim ballast!

Quick Reply: HIDEXTRA.com HID Review