Notices
Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

Led/Hid retrofit review from V-LEDS.com in my 00 GS300 (lots of pictures)

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-08, 08:20 AM
Debonair
iModerate

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Great job. I applaud the time you took to take such detailed pictures and share them. Thanks!
Old 12-18-08, 11:25 AM
LiLS
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im confused, i thought our highbeams were the DRLs...so isnt it just the 9005 bulbs?
Old 12-18-08, 12:06 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sam430
The xenon bulb next to the city light; Is that the high beam? So what does it do when it's act as a DRL? Is it still white but at a lower output? Would that be the 9005?

Another question for anyone that knows. I already have 4300K HID, I don't need a conversion kit for that....where do I get the bulb for that for a 6000K? What do I search for?

Thanks! I've already ordered most of the exterior lights... the xenon conversion is an excellent price after the 15% discount (discount don't work using googlecheckout) .
The OP did an HID kit on his high beams, using a relay to get rid of the DRL (50%voltage) function.

Just search for any d2s 6000k bulb. I recommend Xenonking.com, Xenondepot.com is a forum sonsor.

Originally Posted by LiLS
im confused, i thought our highbeams were the DRLs...so isnt it just the 9005 bulbs?
yes, it is the 9005 bulb. The DRL function is simply the high beam running at 50% voltage.
Old 12-18-08, 01:43 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

So, the DRL doesn't come on when not using High beam? I guess it doesn't come on.

Last edited by sam430; 12-18-08 at 02:06 PM.
Old 12-18-08, 02:01 PM
LiLS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jcat_GS3
The OP did an HID kit on his high beams, using a relay to get rid of the DRL (50%voltage) function.

yes, it is the 9005 bulb. The DRL function is simply the high beam running at 50% voltage.
oo now i understand, at first iwas like shouldnt i jsut order the 9005 bulb off that side but then i realized he did a hid kit for his high beams, i was just lookin for drl bulbs to match my 6000k retrofits
Old 12-19-08, 09:04 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

excellent right up, thanks for the list! so how much total did u spend on doing this lighting package?
Old 12-19-08, 12:31 PM
Yipee
Driver School Candidate

Props for the time and effort. Great pictures and posts. I'll be doing some of these but not all since I can't afford it...
Old 12-19-08, 03:09 PM
SoloKaMGS
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mods can we sticky this thread , great work good job, ive spent a good amount that list def needs to be on page 1 thanks thou.
Old 12-22-08, 10:54 AM
Yipee
Driver School Candidate

Question: My reverse light is a 921 base on Sylvania web site but OP is using 7440. Are they the same? I have a 03 GS300.
Old 12-22-08, 10:44 PM
jacksonvp
Pole Position

When (not if) I upgrade to 01+ tails, I'm planning to use the

http://www.v-leds.com/Shop/Control/P...id/0/SFV/32481

Of course that is the most expensive because 5W High power is some serious buisness. You could probably get away with less, however that would be my recommendation for the best.

Normal power LEDs have a clean white look to them, but going with a High Power setup is going to give an incredible spread of light.

Is everyone clearly understanding how HID High beams and the Daytime Running Light situation works? Let me know if anyone is confused and I can try and do a small writeup to clear up any misinformation I am not running any type of relay or module to Disable my DRLs, I do not have DRLs with my HID high beams, but I've never found DRL's to be useful anyways, and my City light setup is bright enough to notice as is. Plus I roll around with all lights on day and night :P I'm working on a plan to sneak a city light in the low beam housing behind the turn signal area.
Old 12-23-08, 12:30 AM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Alternative for City light. I didn't find the one I replaced bright enough.
here is a list you can pick from:

http://www.v-leds.com/Shop/Control/f...m/1/menu_num/2

I did the outer brake light. It was not much brighter than the bulb it replaced. However, the color is more red instead of orangy red/bright red when you step on the brake. Also, your brake warning light will come on.

The license plate light was just a little bighter than I wanted. I would go with something with less lumen rating on it.

Last edited by sam430; 12-23-08 at 12:41 AM.
Old 12-23-08, 12:33 AM
sam430
Lexus Champion

It would be cool if you can split the wires to from the blinker to the side marker and use one of the bulb I listed earlier (blinks alternatively with amber and white). I don't know if the bulb will fit...but it their is room - shove it in there and seal it

The side marker is cheap anyways. Just destroy it if you need to replace the led.
Old 12-26-08, 10:45 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by jacksonvp
Nothing nearly as necessary to look at compared to the interior lights but for the visual learners here

EXTERIOR LIGHTS
City Light
Fires into the housing, giving a full illumination without a hot spot.

Make sure to use the coupon code clublex if you order anything. I believe its 15% off right now?
Nice work, I love your setup.

I know very little about exterior front lights and there are a bunch on the 2nd Gen GS, I am a little confused, the two smaller inner frontlights I guess are also called "city lights" and are the DRL as well as high beams, looks like there are 2 bulbs in each of those smaller inner front light housings.

Does this 19.99 LED throw any light or just illuminate the inner DRL light housing with a brighter LED type light which would still be nice? Is it just a simple screw in/plug in type deal or do I have to mod it in any way to get it to work? I noticed when parked in front of a big glass window that one of my bulbs from the headlight assembly is out which is a fairly weak regular light that is on when you turn the HID headlights on, is there a LED or bright light for that light? I might have to run outside to make sure exactly what light that is as I am a little confused trying to think if it is in the smaller inner DRL assembly or the larger outer assembly that holds the HID headlights.

Is your wood in your interior stock? It looks a little lighter and a different nicer shade from mine, I like the color but maybe it is just the lighting in the picture that makes it look different.
Old 12-27-08, 06:21 AM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks for the list and links, great job
Old 12-27-08, 07:37 AM
Frankdorn
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Jackson, your car looks great! The price of the bulbs does seem higher... Superbrightleds.com seem to have less expensive bulbs, and the twist-lock NEO4 instrument bulbs for behind our radio & HVAC controls. I think their white is like 5500ēK, though. What are your thoughts?

Quick Reply: Led/Hid retrofit review from V-LEDS.com in my 00 GS300 (lots of pictures)