Notices
Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

My auto-leveling quit working, how to diagnose?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-08, 02:24 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default My auto-leveling quit working, how to diagnose?

The auto-level seems to have quit working on my 99 GS earlier. I was in the drive-through at the bank, I saw the auto-level warning light flash on briefly and realized my lights had automatically turned on. So I checked in the garage when I got home and neither side is leveling but the light in the dash isn't coming on now. I've tried it a few times with the same results.

Edit, I went out and turned them on again, this time the dash light came on.

How would I start to diagnose this? Is there a seperate fuse for the auto-level? Can I get at the wiring plugs without removing the lights? How would I go about checking the sensor? Isn't there only one? I think I remember seeing something when I lowered the car that I believed was the auto-level sensor?

Any insight into this would be appreciated!

Last edited by Kyle Harty; 10-10-08 at 02:35 PM.
Old 10-18-08, 06:07 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyle Harty
The auto-level seems to have quit working on my 99 GS earlier. I was in the drive-through at the bank, I saw the auto-level warning light flash on briefly and realized my lights had automatically turned on. So I checked in the garage when I got home and neither side is leveling but the light in the dash isn't coming on now. I've tried it a few times with the same results.

Edit, I went out and turned them on again, this time the dash light came on.

How would I start to diagnose this? Is there a seperate fuse for the auto-level? Can I get at the wiring plugs without removing the lights? How would I go about checking the sensor? Isn't there only one? I think I remember seeing something when I lowered the car that I believed was the auto-level sensor?

Any insight into this would be appreciated!

There are two sensors that i know off. Front and rear of the driver side wheel wells. Check to make sure they are secured and connected. If you have done any bodywork/headlight work, i would check the plugs to the headlights.
Old 03-12-09, 07:28 PM
aznxteddy
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

I have 04 GS430, and the auto leveling headlight warning light has come on. When I start up the car it still auto-levels and looks fine. But when I drive I have noticed that it looks like it is leveling while i am driving and also at the stop light when I pull up to a car, I see it level up and down. Any ideas on this one? Will definitely bring to a shop/ dealer but was wondering how much $$ I may be looking at. Thanks
Old 03-14-09, 10:18 AM
cduluk
Pole Position

sensors are dirty
Old 03-15-09, 10:48 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by aznxteddy
Hi,

I have 04 GS430, and the auto leveling headlight warning light has come on. When I start up the car it still auto-levels and looks fine. But when I drive I have noticed that it looks like it is leveling while i am driving and also at the stop light when I pull up to a car, I see it level up and down. Any ideas on this one? Will definitely bring to a shop/ dealer but was wondering how much $$ I may be looking at. Thanks
That is normal. Sensor is suppose to auto adjust during driving or not driving conditions. When it feels a height differences, it will adjust.
Old 03-15-09, 11:38 AM
cduluk
Pole Position

no, you shouldn't notice the height changing at stop lights etc. If they're leveling when you're slow to stopped, it's because there's a "glitch" in the sensor because of dirt intermittently breaking the circuit sending false signals to the computer.

And it doesn't work by changes in height, it works by differences in suspension (ie if you had a lot of weight in the trunk weighing the rear down, the headlights would be told to lower as to not blind oncoming drivers). So unless you have your mother-in-law in the back seat, or a cat in your engine compartment unbalancing the car's natural pitch, there shouldn't be any leveling taking place...

Clean out the sensors and you will be fine