HID Conversion Advice.

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-08, 01:28 AM
DasBach
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TSX Retrofit in the works.

Change of idea! Post 8 explains it all

Last edited by DasBach; 03-03-08 at 12:48 AM. Reason: Changed direction.
Old 03-02-08, 03:25 AM
JnC
Lead Lap

Although kits may seem like the easy/cheaper way to get into the HID world but they arnt the best for sure, I highly recommend doing a retro. Go with a set of TSX projectors and a set of OEM Phillips 85122+ bulbs and Hella Gen 3 ballasts.

150+60+160= $370

There are many thread here on CL to guide you through the process and of course we are here to help as well . Do it once but do it right.
Old 03-02-08, 06:04 AM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

HID kit is the easy way, retro is the best way. Believe me you will be happy with the outcome if it's done right. The only thing is that you're limited in options as far as projectors because of the size of your housing but those TSX projectors have great output and cutoff. I had an HID kit for about a year on my car but it just wasn't enough, go for the retro. The hardest part of a retro is conjuring up the fortitude to do it yourself.
Old 03-02-08, 10:11 AM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

DasBach, these guys are on the money. I would also consider clear lenses as an option if possible. I would also consider checking on and deciding which colors you'd like your fog light setup would be as well. Keep us posted
Old 03-02-08, 10:57 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

to answer ur question, yes people have used the XD kits to great success, and since they're a forum vendor you get a small discount as well
Old 03-02-08, 11:57 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 549 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by JnC
Although kits may seem like the easy/cheaper way to get into the HID world but they arnt the best for sure, I highly recommend doing a retro. Go with a set of TSX projectors and a set of OEM Phillips 85122+ bulbs and Hella Gen 3 ballasts.

150+60+160= $370

There are many thread here on CL to guide you through the process and of course we are here to help as well . Do it once but do it right.
That is roughly the price I paid for my retro parts, so it isn't too much more then a HID kit.
Old 03-02-08, 08:52 PM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

lots of people use the xenon depot kit and have had good luck with it.
Old 03-03-08, 12:42 AM
DasBach
Lexus Test Driver

Hey all, thank you for the advice and kind words.

I actually ran into JnC on HiDPlanet.Com and manged to pick up some parts, I have started preparing for a TSX Retrofit and JnC actually sold me some of the parts needed!

2 Gen 3 Hella Ballasts (Thanks to JnC)
2 Phillips 85122+ Bulbs (Thanks to JnC)
2 2005 TSX projectors, clear lenses (JnC Directed me to this)

I purchased all of those items yesterday, I am now just waiting for them to arrive. I will be starting this project as soon as I get out of Iraq. I must say, JnC has been a huge help with advice, part locations and even selling me some of the thing I need.

I am trying to get a good price on some new headlights from Carson Toyota, when I get all of the parts gathered and I am in the US; I will do a nice write up with oodles of pictures. I will also be doing a complete make over of the car all together, my signature contains about half of the stuff going on the Lexus. Stay tuned!
Old 03-03-08, 01:21 AM
JnC
Lead Lap

DB, does the headlights from carson have a clear front lens? Cause what emoshun is doing right now is using factory JDM headlight but a clear cover from the ebay headlights, that something that you might have to look into as well.
Old 03-03-08, 01:30 AM
DasBach
Lexus Test Driver

Hmm, I am unsure. Can you possibly clarify what you mean a bit?
Old 03-03-08, 02:57 AM
JnC
Lead Lap

Well the OEM SC headlights have those fluted lines on the inside of the lens. Some people try to sand and refinish the inside to get a clear look and some swap the fluted lens with a clear one from the ebay SC headlights shown below. Check with member emoshun, I think thats what he is doing as well with his retro.

Old 03-03-08, 04:14 AM
DasBach
Lexus Test Driver

I'll have to take a look at that, the lines aren't a separate part? I will probably buy the knock offs and use that lining, looks cleaner. Only thing I am worried about is the quality of the plastic. I live with sandstorms so I don't want headlights that will scratch after a month or so of having them.
Old 03-03-08, 04:39 AM
JnC
Lead Lap

I know what you mean, another idea is to just refinish the SC front lens inside and out. I wouldnt recommend buying a new set of headlights, that will just raise your current expense telly on the retro through the roof. Work on the current headlights and bring them back to new condition.

I know a few people who have successfully taken out the fluted lines, tiguy being one of them, its an extra bit of work but it pays off in the end .
Old 03-03-08, 04:54 AM
DasBach
Lexus Test Driver

Thats what I wanted to do originally, I'll have to see what unfolds when I start. My only problem right now is finding an oven when I get back.

Any news on the tracking number, JnC?
Old 03-03-08, 05:17 AM
JnC
Lead Lap

You dont need an oven , just use a heat gun.

The package will go out today via USPS and she should have everything by thursday the latest.

Quick Reply: HID Conversion Advice.