Old 07-11-07, 06:42 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts
Default XenonDepot 6000k D4S Bulbs - Product Review

New Product Alert!

6000k D4S Bulbs - Product Review!!

Product Link: http://www.xenondepot.com/product.php?product_id=158

This was posted by another member in the IS forum however I figured I would post this here so non IS members that use D4S bulbs can see this.

XenonDepot has just introduced 6000k D4S bulbs that are made in Japan. These bulbs are a direct replacement for your OEM D4S bulbs. The higher colour temperature will provide you with slightly more of a bluish/purplish tinge.

al503 on this board reviewed this product the other day. Here is what he had to say:

I was able to get a set of these from Steve at Xenondepot to try and and give a review. So....

Anyone who has tried to take pics of headlights know that the pics sometimes do not look like the actual thing. I took a lot of pics but only included the ones that looked the closest to the real thing.

Here's a pic of the before and a pic after the driver's side was installed:

Here's a pic of the driver's side w/ the new bulbs and the passenger side with the stock bulb:

And finally, here's a pic with the new bulb in the driver's side and stock in the passenger side:

Now for the review:

Install was a snap. A few basic handtools is all that's required. I did have to take out the airbox to get to the passenger side housing and a 6" socket extension was very helpful here. Install took about 45 minutes taking my time. Once you do it once, you can do it in about 20 minutes.
(Note: when working with HID's, you ALWAYS want to remove the negative battery terminal.) I go a step further and leave one of the doors open so that there is no residual power left in the system. You can also pump the brakes a few times.)

The color is pure white with just the slightest touch of blue/purple. They look much better than the stockers, which I think looks slightly yellow/greenish.

Performance/Light output:
The thing that surprised me the most is the output. Whenever you go to a higher color/kelvin bulb, you tend to lose output/lumens. These bulbs seem to be no exception but the loss here seems to be very, very minor. I've put 6000K ultinon kits and bulbs in previous cars and the loss in output was much more noticeable than these. As I get older, I tend to stay away from mods that might compromise safety. I have no reservations on this mod as again, loss in ouput was negligible.

Overall:
I'm very happy with these bulbs and they will be staying in the car. If you don't like your stock HID's looking like strong halogens, these bulb will fit your needs to a T without the negatives usually associated with higher kelvin bulbs.

Steve at Xenondepot was a pleasure to work with and very professional.

Notes:
All pics were taken after the bulbs were completely warmed up.