Notices
Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

Xenon lighting on first model Es300's IS a possibility!!!! READ on..........

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-01, 08:44 AM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Lightbulb Xenon lighting on first model Es300's IS a possibility!!!! READ on..........

Just curious,has anyone here retrofitted their headlamp system on their 92-96 model ES300 to HID Xenon lighting? Typical complete systems including Philips ballasts, igniters, wiring bulbs and instructions run anywhere from $400 (Ebay) to $800 (Some Web Sites). I think the end result would be amazing! I haven't seen one yet in Chicago but I plan on being the first as soon as I get my ES this holiday season. The only precaution is since our head light system doesn't come readily made to handle the amount of reflection necessary, some slight modifications may have to be done BUT never the less, the option STILL exists to put TRUE Xenon lighing into your car to make it stand out and not those annoying FAKE bulbs that are nothing but higher wattage and bright as hell lights that sell for 20.00 but blow out every so often. If you search, you can actually find DOT approved units available that ARE street legal since you would be increasing road safety with better lighting.

Anyway, check out http://www.hids4less.com/product.html
This is one good place to buy these systems and get additional info. (Very knowledgable about their product)

Also check :
http://www.xtremewhite.com/LBU-light...-1-1-1-1-1.cfm

Another good site

Last edited by tiguy99; 11-06-01 at 08:54 AM.
Old 11-06-01, 09:02 AM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just be cautious

Just be cautious about buying some of the kits advertised on the BAY, because they may not include a self leveling kit, which is the DOT requirement for "true" HID/Xenon lighting systems. I'd also be careful about the amount of heat generated by the aftermarket lights, as your current setup may not be equipped to handle that - a meltdown could be a lot worse, and if the manufacturer did their homework they'll have a clause in their warranty that disclaims any liability arising form "improper use" etc. Which will be defined as not providing adequate ventilation or something stupid like that. The $20.00 fix you are referring to I am assuming is the blue/xenon bulbs that seem to be all the rage these days. I agree with you the fakes are annoying and in some cases defeat the purpose because they do not offer up more light like the ballast type HID systems do. As far as being safer goes, it all depends on which side of the headlights you are sitting.
Old 11-06-01, 09:06 AM
CPerez100
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

after install and if you come to Chicago city let me know so I can see them, I may buy the same system and the the second.

Thankx

Carlos
Old 11-06-01, 09:14 AM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Definatley. If you're in the car...then fine...you can see alot more due to the arc created by the charge between the two diodes in the bulb (minus the filament). Nevertheless, I've seen some HID units out there that actually include self levelers + adjustable ballast units that are user friendly or more free in allowing the user to adjust the glare on the bulbs! If done right (and I do recommend a professional electric/lighting auto shop for this) the direct result is what you would see on newer model cars like the 2000 and 2001 ES300's outfitted with Xenon lighting already. The only drawback is that the older headlamp wasn't designed for HID and may need to be modified slightly for proper usage. No one wants to be out on a Saturday night and have like 20 cars flash you because your lights are too bright! i think I have one more GOOD FAQ for people to check out. Hopefully this would be in the mods forum or install section one day.

http://faq.auto.light.tripod.com

hope that helps guys!
Old 11-06-01, 09:18 AM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Sure thing! I'll be in the City this holiday season. I plan on buying my Es like in December. I need to sell my Q45 first. BTW, anyone looking for a 1991 Q45 STD W/ Trac. control and every option except the spoiler in good cond. and 109K highway miles? I still have it. Maroon w/ Tan. I believe I have the only car with the Bra in the state of Illinois....hmm ohh well go figure! I can't wait for he ES though... I wanna MOD IT UP!!!!!!! HIDS are the first test.....
Old 11-06-01, 11:57 AM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Ohh yeah guys...I've attached a video clip of xenon vs. conventional halogen lighting.....enjoy...I think the next one I'll put up on this topic will be the before and after shots and vid clips of my ride when its done.

http://angelfire.lycos.com/ab5/black...xenon_e250.asf

Last edited by tiguy99; 11-06-01 at 12:09 PM.
Old 11-07-01, 04:21 PM
tiguy99
Pole Position

I know I keep talking about this subject with the enthusism of a 9 year old being told: "that tomorrow we're going to six flags!" BUT I just am excited about the oppurtunity to not only own a lexus but also do something to a 1993 ES300 that I haven't seen anyone out there do yet. Anyway, until I get my vehicle, this should give you guys more incite and hopefully a better idea on retrofitting your ride. Trust me by this time next year, everybody will be doing it. Why not be the first?

http://p-car.com/diy/hid/

Check it out. Somebody did the same job on their 1993 Porshe 993.

The 92-96 ES300 has some unique looking headlamps. I'm am curious as to how they will appear after Xenon lighing is installed PROPERLY. Can' t wait to get my car! Only time will tell.
Old 09-24-10, 05:00 PM
Vegas2010
Driver School Candidate

Default My Ballast went out on my Lexus 2001 ES300 where can you get a replacement

I have been searching the web and trying to find a replacement Ballast for my Lexus 2001 ES300 which has Xenon lights HID system. This is the factory lights that came with the car. I found a review of this company where there Ballast was highly recommended. Here is there website

http://www.hongkonghid.com/

Here is the one they are selling below. Does anyone know if this would work in my Xenon light HID system on my Lexus. If anyone has replace there Ballast on this same car please let me know what you used. Thanks

One 35w HID Ballast
This is the most rugged ballast on the market.
It is waterproof, shockproof, and hammer-proof because it is produced without cutting corners on the materials used.
The ballast is also rubber injected to ensure the internal components do not get shaken loose.

List Price: $80.00
Price: $60.00

Last edited by Vegas2010; 09-24-10 at 05:10 PM.
Old 09-25-10, 12:56 AM
j three
Lexus Test Driver

Vegas, put a wanted thread in the ES classifieds to get an oem Ballast. Here https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...assifieds-111/ .
Old 09-25-10, 08:33 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

or ebay has some OEM ones also..

i would stay far away from that company.