Removing headlights on a lx470

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-05, 01:02 PM
vektron
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing headlights on a lx470

Hello,
Hope someone can help me . I am planning on installing a HID retrofit to a 2001 lx470, but I'm not sure how to take the headlight assembly off the car. I read a few docs on how to do the retrofit and I think I am ready, just wanted to make sure I don't break something taking the lights off the car.
Thanks in advance.
Old 11-14-05, 01:28 PM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Firs of all welcome to the board. I'm very sure you're gonna love it here. We've got some of the coolest, nicest and most knowledgable folks this side of the net so you're in great company! As for the lights, I'm not sure how to get them off myself because I don't own an LX470. I'd check with the Lexus Tech and let them know hey I need to do a routine clean of my light but I don't know how to take it off, they should be able to help you over the phone. Once its out, follow these instructions

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=185906

to get them unsealed and then you'll have access!

Feel free to go to www.hidplanet.com/forums for info in HID retrofitting and cover all your bases before you tackle it. Its no walk in the park but once done, its one of the best feelings out there especially the first time. Take your time, go slow and make sure you have a spare set of lights to work on and things will fall in your favor!

Hey now that I think about it, you'll be the first LX470 in the world with HID retrofit! DO IT DO IT DO IT!!! Make history!
Mike
Old 11-16-05, 01:44 PM
vektron
Driver School Candidate

Hey tiguy99,
Thanks for making me feel right at home, much appreciated.
I've been wrestling with the idea of getting HIDs for some time now. Originally I was thinking of just going with the rebased h1 kits and using the hallogen projectors the car has, but after some reading I guess that's not the way to go, "hot spots".
I am planning on taking on this some time in December, will get the bosh retrofit kit from hidplanet.com. Hope it all goes well.
I will give the dealer a call, see if they can help.

By the way, is something wrong with www.hidplanet.com, I am getting an error.
Old 11-16-05, 01:59 PM
AJ
Lexus Champion

Welcome to CL
Old 11-17-05, 08:56 PM
osomoso
Pole Position

Default LX470 HIDs

Let em know how it goes. I want to doit to my 2K.
Old 11-17-05, 11:14 PM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Hey guys. Keep us posted on the Bosch setup. That's what's currently in the ride now although I'll be upgrading to the Acura TSX HID when I finish working on everyone else's.
HIDplanet should be working now. What kind of message did you get?

And Osomo Check hidplanet. There are a couple guys that have nice setups on their Ford trucks
Old 11-18-05, 07:16 PM
vektron
Driver School Candidate

I think it was just a glitch, I can get in now. Been checking the site everyday.
Hey, how do you like the bosh? Why are you changing them?
Old 11-20-05, 05:40 PM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Originally Posted by vektron
I think it was just a glitch, I can get in now. Been checking the site everyday.
Hey, how do you like the bosh? Why are you changing them?
Hey Vek, I've had them for a while and now I'm ready for something better. The Bosch units are nice and have very wide beams but in my opinion the TSXs are better. I like their cuttoff pattern better and they put down more light on the foreground. Plus they're colorful and project a nice deep violet/blue color if you like that kind of thing
Old 11-30-05, 11:34 AM
vektron
Driver School Candidate

Hey tiguy99,
Besides HIDPlanet, do you know any other place I can buy a retrofit kit with the projectors, ballasts and bulbs?
Old 01-17-06, 07:51 AM
vektron
Driver School Candidate

Ok, finally I did it . It was not easy, but man, you are so right, the feeling is really nice .
Just getting the headlights out was a pain, the first one anyway, second one wasn't too bad. Couldn't find the how-to anywhere.
I took a few pics that will try to post tomorrow, didn't have much time left from the long weekend. It actully took me two full days, one side per day.
Over all I think I did a pretty good job. I bough a used water tight fuse box from a junkyard in order to house the relays and fuses. Used plastic conduit to run the wires, soldered all permanent connections and sealed them with heat shrinking tubing, for the removable connections used water proof connectors and placed them inside the conduit.
When I tested the light alignment, all I had to do was adjust the height in one of them. Can't wait for tonight for the real road test, last night was too tired.
Old 11-15-14, 10:15 AM
Scottypw
Driver School Candidate

Default Replacing DLR - High Beam Bulbs on a 2001 LX470

Can someone provide assistance with how to to this - thx