Notices
Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

FUSE required for OEM HID set-up...

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-05, 06:43 PM
FLIPPU
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default FUSE required for OEM HID set-up...

What is the required FUSE for OEM HIDs?

I'm installing a set of OEM HIDs on my NON-OEM GS300. I know that in general OEM HIDs will require a bigger fuse due to more current demand. My car comes with 15A fuses and I managed to blow that AND also blow the 20A spare fuse.

Is it OK to use a "bigger" fuse?..maybe 30A?..For you guys with OEM HID, can you go and look in your fuse box and tell me what fuse you guys use?

Thanks
Mike
Old 09-11-05, 12:17 AM
mikal
Lexus Champion

you'll need to run a higher output wiring harness w/ a relay.

Can be found at xenondepot's OEM section.
Old 09-11-05, 01:24 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Do NOT run a higher fuse in the fusebox. You risk burning out the internal wiring. I'm not sure how far it goes, but trust me it will be a bi7ch if you have to go digging thru your dash and all over the engine bay to replace the wires that burned out.

As mikal said, get a relay harness.

Here is a pic of the harness I made myself for my HID retrofit. If you have some basic electronics knowledge and soldering skills I can send you a diagram. The harness cost me about $12 and 30min to make. I'm not sure how much they cost online, but I'm sure its more than what I paid. Otherwise you can just search online or go on ebay to find a headlight relay harness.

Good luck!
Old 09-11-05, 10:24 AM
vicestan
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well what kinda ballast are you running? I'm not sure there are any ballast out there that would actually make your 15a fuse on the low beams brake. I've used hella gen 1, 2 and 3 ballast on my lexus and at no time did I ever blow a fuse, and keep in mind those hella ballast pull if rememeber correctly the highest number of amps at start up like close to 14 for a few seconds. Make sure you hooked up the wirring correctly because if your positive is on your negative then the fuse will blow right away. Also if you dont want to go through all that hastle of making a harness of looking for one for outragous prices, go to napa, autozone, pepboys either one and buy a pilot foglight wirring harness. Now once againt seeing as how I dont know which ballast your using so you might need to get 2 of those kits there 20 dollers each. Since you blow your stock fuse your ballas/wirring is pulling over 15amps at start up, which I have never seen happen my self and I've used alot of ballast. If you really want to protect your system then buy one of those foglight kits and sell your ballast, then go and buy denso/koito slim ballast, they pull the least ammount of amps at start up that I know of and they are veryyyyyyyy reliable.
Old 09-11-05, 01:18 PM
FLIPPU
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the reply guys...

Let me just explain something to clarify my dillema and gear.

I have STOCK OEM 2004 GS400 HID set..the COMPLETE set with the housing and bulbs/balasts...The only issue I had was the 9006 Plug from my OEM did not match the Plug on the OEM HID SET...so I took the OEM HID SET plug (White) and pulled the connectors out (pretty easy) and slid them into the 9006 non-HID plug... Red to Red/yellow stripe and Black to White/black stripe. I blew the fuses due to reverse wiring on my previous attemp.

BTW, I also found out that to TEST IT OUT PROPERLY, the DRL connection was needed to make it work or nothing happens. I guess the DRL light and MAIN light are somehow connected.

I finally got the Driver side to work , but not the Passenger side.. I switched bulbs from the passenger to the driver and it did not work, I guess that bulb is toast AND the passenger side developed this really FUNKY SMELL eminating from INSIDE the housing...Is this a sign of a toasted bulb or toasted ballast?...I did test out the GOOD BULB and put it in the Passenger side, but it didn't work..so I'm gussing that the passenger side ballast is toast or my connector on that side is not on par as I managed to break the red wire from the little connector pin so I made my own by crimping a set of Female/Male quick disconnects.

Sorry for the long post....So what is this SMELLY ODOR???

Mike
Old 09-12-05, 06:10 PM
vicestan
Lead Lap

wow weird smell means ur ballast is toast, did the negative and positive touch?? looks like you blew the ballast so you need another 1. The drl's are not connected to the low beam in any way and be carifull with those wires alot of current passes through them.
Old 09-12-05, 08:02 PM
maaloxx
Pole Position

Default get a harness made

PM Joshoowa,,,fr like 40 - 50 bux he'll make you one!