Notices
Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

Me latest HID retrofit project (underway)

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-05, 11:30 AM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default My latest HID retrofit project (underway)

For my 1999 Lexus ES300 coach ed, I've decided to go the Bosch ECE E46 Route. For a while, I was comtemplating between these and the MDX projectors I purchased a while back (which will be for sale shortly). These E46s were the modded projectors from my last car imported into this one. I'm using a multi element 3 piece shroud setup, 2 left projectors for that extra crispy cuttoff line and taking time to make sure this one comes out right. So far so good. Its turning out to be my best project yet! I'm really having fun with this and feel it may top the GS 300/400 retrofit series I did in 04'. Stay tuned....

At this point, I've opened both lamps, developed the shroud setup, and completed all the measuring. I've also managed to snap some shots of the shroud setup I'll be using. Enjoy

More pics in a bit

Last edited by tiguy99; 06-04-05 at 03:03 PM.
Old 06-04-05, 02:35 PM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Here's an update as I move along!

Yey! Finally a clear lense. My have I longed for your presence (its a long story)

Various Stuff

Coming along nicely

About 60% done on the left...that includes the phone ringing constantly and people dropping by asking me what the hell am I doing
Old 06-04-05, 02:41 PM
MASH835
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is great to see you working on another retro! I really like your prevoius GS retro..
I just noticed that you are using the single xenon ECE E46 (i know these are bright with sharp and colorful cuttoff)!! why you didn't go with the bi-xenon version of the E46 or even TL bi-xenon (i think the modded TL have better brightness, width and color).

I always wanted to see how the ES300 retrofit will look compared to the reflector HID!! keep posting pics please.

GOOD LUCK with your retro..
Old 06-04-05, 03:07 PM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MASH835
It is great to see you working on another retro! I really like your prevoius GS retro..
I just noticed that you are using the single xenon ECE E46 (i know these are bright with sharp and colorful cuttoff)!! why you didn't go with the bi-xenon version of the E46 or even TL bi-xenon (i think the modded TL have better brightness, width and color).

I always wanted to see how the ES300 retrofit will look compared to the reflector HID!! keep posting pics please.

GOOD LUCK with your retro..
Thanks! There's something special about this specific pair of ECE bosch projectors I have in my hands. Lets just say they're not the average set. Every now and then when you deal with projectors, you find that special pair that stands out. Like its more sharper, more wider, more colorful vs the rest of the bunch. Such is the case with these.

I'll have output pics up later on once I figure out how to rewire my harness from 9006 to H7 since no one wants to sell me a wire harness (on www.hidplanet.com/forums )
Old 06-05-05, 01:01 AM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Ok..the right side was done earlier this evening

Now I await until later this morning when I finally tackle this wire harness thing. I think I'm close to getting it. After this, all I have to do is the alignment to make sure the cuttoff pattern is perfect and we're good to go. Look out for the next set of pics later on today
Old 06-05-05, 04:22 AM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks great so far. Cant wait to see the finished product and the cutoff
Old 06-05-05, 06:30 PM
tiguy99
Pole Position

I'm so close I can taste it! I tried to make a new harness today based on this write up
(which is golden)

http://jdmlyfestyle.com/hid_wiring_harness.htm

but have hit a snag. I'm missing 2 miniblade fuse holders because my einstein self thought I had everything I needed when I hit Radio shack earlier but forgot to pick them up. Now that the store is closed and no store around here sells fuses/holders I'm stuck until the morning. I'm so close! I want to seal them up so bad but can't until I do the alignment test to ensure my beam pattern is perfect. In the meantime, I took some more pics. I might as well share

Old 06-05-05, 08:35 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Very clean job. Cant wait for the finals
Old 06-06-05, 12:16 PM
corkycal
Lexus Champion

how did you get those lenses so clear?

i can't wait for the pictures. as always, nice work! byfar, one of the best. i know you're taking your sweet time since it's your own personal set.
Old 06-06-05, 01:02 PM
tiguy99
Pole Position

So far so good. I managed to get the left headlamp installed today and boy does it look nice! I had to paint the chrome trim piece a flat silver because it was glaring. Other than that, I'm going off of 3 hours of sleep with the wire harness conversion (many times I had to redo it (long story) as well as one ^&%$&% screw that doesn't want to turn and release my passenger halogen headlamp. At this time, my tools aren't enough to get the nut off without stripping the corners so I'm going to have to head over to Ace Hardware or Home Depot to figure out how Im going to get this thing off. But it'll be pretty interesting tonight when I leave the office with one HID and one Halogen light on at the same time!
Old 06-06-05, 01:18 PM
corkycal
Lexus Champion

mike,

i sent you a pm, can you reply back. thanks
Old 06-06-05, 03:30 PM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Quick update. I shot over to Ace Hardware during my lunch break at 3 today and got the 10mm piece for my rachet wrench. That little POS screw was NO match! Anyhow the right lamp is now on and boy does the car's front look 1000 times better. I didn't bring my digicam with me to work so you guys will have to wait until I get home for the beam pics. Remember the Camera is a POS off brand Digicam. The good pics will be taken tomorrow when I borrow my sister's Sony 5 Megapixel
Old 06-06-05, 03:30 PM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Originally Posted by corkycal
mike,

i sent you a pm, can you reply back. thanks
Sure no prob
Old 06-06-05, 03:43 PM
corkycal
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tiguy99
Sure no prob

pm replied...
Old 06-07-05, 10:11 AM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Ok....here we are 98% finished. I hate alignment tests because it brings out the check and balance of where you are when you do these projects. Anyhow, everything went in and was all fine and dandy until I turned on the lights. The right side shot up in the sky and would not let me adjust it down because duh da da dunnnn the front trim piece of the headlamp (which was the chrome thing I painted flat silver) sat right under the front of my shroud on the passenger side headlight.

All that translates into "Mike remove the headlight and correct the problem." So I took it off, brought it upstairs and worked on the mounting system for 2-3 more hours until I got it right. After that lamp went back in, I tested it again and "awee now I have a working aiming system!!!!"

Finally, I put things back into place, and then I find another problem. The left lamp adjusts alright but now that won't go where I need it to. So here we go again! I'll have that one done in a few hours when I can get to the car and remove the lamps. As for me, I took the day off because I've been working on these things tirelessly for the past 3-4 days now and the lack of sleep is starting to take a toll. Talk about dedication! It'll be perfect when I'm done!

Quick Reply: Me latest HID retrofit project (underway)