Notices
Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

My SC LED Retrofits

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-05, 05:37 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

The side markers are actually DOT units for tractor trailers that I retroed into my custom side markers. This guarantees perfect spacing, electronics, and sealed reliability. They even work bi-polar so it doesn't matter which lead to you connect to positive and negative.

It's all very simple stuff... Just need to decide what you want, dream it up, and make it happen.

If you need any more info or specifics, just ask.
Old 02-18-05, 08:02 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Thats hot. Very creative.
Old 02-18-05, 03:22 PM
LasVegasGS
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get us some write ups hehe How would you go about taking a wire from the bottom of the car to the dome light?

Also what did the unit look like before retro fit can we get a picture? Thanks awsome work
Old 02-18-05, 03:29 PM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dang man, pretty good stuff! props to you out in the east.

when are you gonna post full pics of your car?
Old 02-18-05, 04:09 PM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LasVegasGS
Get us some write ups hehe How would you go about taking a wire from the bottom of the car to the dome light?

Also what did the unit look like before retro fit can we get a picture? Thanks awsome work
Check out this thread for some more specifics:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=148882

Basically the wire is fed from the stock HMSL up the C-Pillar and into the sunroof tray. Stay to the sides to avoid the sliding mechanism and sunshade.

AC thanks, for the props, man. Just trying to hold it down for the SC guys.

LED unit during retro:
Attached Thumbnails My SC LED Retrofits-dscf0091.jpg  
Old 02-18-05, 04:17 PM
LasVegasGS
Lead Lap

Hehe sorry about that I was asking about the side markers how did they look before you retro fited them?
Where can one find some?

Also how did you connect the lights inside of your LED taillight? Thanks

Also what do you think about useing these?

Last edited by LasVegasGS; 02-18-05 at 04:20 PM.
Old 02-18-05, 06:06 PM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Hehe sorry about that I was asking about the side markers how did they look before you retro fited them?
Dunno how to answer that since they were designed from scratch for LED and never used for normal wedge bulb use. A wedge bulb won't even fit in there anyway. The flat leds did no problem. Now before I started modding they were stock. Just amber reflectors with a 194 bulb in them. The amber leds were bought at the corner store. It's just an LED clearance light for trailers. They come in red, too.

The LED tails are connected to the stock wedge socket. I fabricated a simple wedge with wires coming out so it connects like the regular incandescent bulbs would.

Your LED strips look nice. Are they high-flux LEDs typically used in traffic applications? Also, if you are using them for a red light, don't use white -- use red. Use the same led color for the output you want, no matter what color lens you are putting it behind. Red leds are brigher than white ones so use red where you can. Only use the white leds for a reverse light application (which is pretty useless and impractical but bling). Get amber leds if going behind an amber lense. Red and amber are much cheaper than white anyway since they are old tech.

Feel free to ask anything else!
Old 02-18-05, 08:33 PM
LasVegasGS
Lead Lap

Im gona run to the corner store & get some amber blinkers I realy love your side blinker Idea realy kicks ***. I have a white L tuned GS430 coming in & your white SC just gives me so many great IDEA's. I also have an SC400 & an LX470 I think I have the lexus bug. I just finshed up a DIY underbody LED kit kinda like the AC kit. I also did some angel eye rings but Im not gona be sticking them on any lexus inless I get a realy great idea where I just made them to see if I could type of thing

So the light you used

Now I need to find that here in vegas not many truck stops

How would you go about runing wire from an underbody LED kit to your dome light?

this might be nice but kinda close to each other

Last edited by LasVegasGS; 02-18-05 at 09:55 PM.
Old 02-20-05, 11:39 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Yep that's more or less the light I used. In Florida there are trailer accessories in most stores since boating is a part of standard life here. So no need for chasing down truck stops. Try in a trailer or boating place. May be easier to find.

Why do you want the dome light to power your leds? So they light up with the dome light and fade out with it and all? For the fade out you'd need to directly connect your leds to the dome light and that's not a good idea unless it's just a handful of leds. If it's one of those underbody kits with hundreds of leds, I recommend against it. You'd have to use a relay and a relay on the dome light circuit will act funny because of the fade-out feature the dome light has.

As for the wire, I'm pretty sure there's a place under the dash where you can tap into it. Consult your electrical manual.
Old 02-20-05, 12:53 PM
LasVegasGS
Lead Lap

No its just a 10LED spot light 5 of each side. I dont see me sticking a 100led thing on my car anytime soon.( or ever ) I found some light messing around with them i'll post of pic's of how it turns out. Where would I look into for the electrical manual?

I guessing from under the car Id have to get the wires in from under the engine somewhere then up the dash & inside the roof liner to the dome light?
Old 02-20-05, 02:55 PM
LasVegasGS
Lead Lap

OK well here they are the one thing I am un happy with is that you can see the circut bored not much but you can still see it or at least I can. Is there a safe way to spray over it with White or silver? maybe cover with something any idea's? here are the pictures.

lights off in garge

Any idea's would help

O & if this thing perfect I'll do a wright up so everyone can do it.

And one more question how did you connect the lights? Picutres will be awsome I know there is a bulb in there right now so how did you connect wires into it? thanks

Last edited by LasVegasGS; 02-20-05 at 06:48 PM.
Old 02-21-05, 05:39 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Looking good! Those look JUST like the IS3 clears I did for a close friend of mine here locally.

I sprayed the entire board silver, and then came back with a rag in acetone and wiped just the tips of the LEDs so the light can come thru. That should hide all the electrics... I did that but then also covered the led board with a clear dimpled diffuser (like on mine) so it would blend more with the chrome dimples on the sides. He loves it. Next time he passes by I will snap some pics of it.

To connect the power I made a small wedge connection just like the bulb has. I used a small thin sheet of plastic with the same dimensions as the wedge base of the bulb. I stripped the wires extra long and folded them over the edge like the wedge bulb has. Then carefully insert it into the socket and you have a solid connection just like the bulb would.

The dome light has a wire somewhere under the dash. The electrical manuals you can get at the dealer or Carson Toyota. There's a DOME circuit diagram and all your info will be there.

Good luck, man! The work looks nice!
Old 02-21-05, 05:06 PM
Technics
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's some good work!
Old 02-21-05, 05:20 PM
LasVegasGS
Lead Lap

Ahh that makes since. I found a chrome finsh paint where it blends right in I'll take some pictures in a bit. My other question is how do you pop the lense of the side marker is it glued or do you just pry it off I dont wana jack it up trying. If it is glue melt it with a heat gun?
Old 02-22-05, 05:31 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Ahh that makes since. I found a chrome finsh paint where it blends right in I'll take some pictures in a bit. My other question is how do you pop the lense of the side marker is it glued or do you just pry it off I dont wana jack it up trying. If it is glue melt it with a heat gun?
I only cut the rear reflector assembly off. Taking them apart will surely crack something. They are fused, not glued. So just cut the reflector pocket out, mod it, and silicone it back on.

Quick Reply: My SC LED Retrofits