Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

JP Tail Turn Signal Testing + LED vs Incandescent Bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-04, 07:35 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts
Lightbulb JP Tail Turn Signal Testing + LED vs Incandescent Bulbs

I discovered when it was time for the NC state inspection on my GS that the Junction Produce tails I have created a small issue. Since they don't come with the 'pigtail' wiring to hook them up, I used the wires and bulbs from my existing GS430 tail lights. The issue that created was that the bulbs in the OEM lights are clear, and now that there is no amber cover on the tail lights my turn signals are white. In NC, that's a issue and you can't pass state inspection. It also gives cops a reason to pull you over (bad on the good/bad scale).

I didn't want to put in a big 7440 amber bulb because you can see right into the clear area and I thought the yellow bulb peeking out would partially defeat the 'cool' of the clear portion of the lights. I did some research and found a couple of options.

One is a Titanium chrome bulb. It looks reflective silver until it lights up, then it's amber. The other is an Amber LED that is clear when off. Both of these fit the standard 7440 bulb socket and are made by APC.

Here are some pics of the products:

Here's another bulb I considered, but I like the pure silver look of the Titanium one better.
http://nextcollection.com/html/ORD-L...21974-none.cfm

Last edited by DaveGS4; 07-26-04 at 07:46 PM.
Old 07-26-04, 07:35 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

I couldn't make up my mind which style to order (LED or regular bulb). So of course I ordered both .
Unfortunately, the place I ordered from left out one of the LEDs from my shipment, which worked out OK in the end because now I have this comparison to write up. I put the LED bulb in the left side turn signal and the titanium bulb in the right.

Brightness - haven't looked at them in enough detail yet to say for certain, but offhand I think they're about the same when fully lit in the daytime. At dusk and night the Titanium incandescent bulb seems brighter when it's fully lit (check the video below).

Speed to light up - this is what amazed me. You can clearly see how much faster the LED lights up when the signal is on and how much quicker it goes off. There is no ramp up to bright and ramp back down; it's digital ON/OFF almost. This is why LED tail lights (especially for brakes) are better than bulb-driven lights.

Unexpected side effect - the LED light turns on and off so fast, my left blinker now goes VERY fast when it's turned on by itself (left turn signal, not hazards). This bothers me a little, but I'll give it a while to see if I get used to it. If not, I'll take the LED out and put in the other Titanium bulb.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 07-26-04 at 07:56 PM.
Old 07-26-04, 07:36 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

I made a couple of quick videos using my digital camera. I should have made them smaller (sorry), so if you're on a 56kb line don't pull these down unless you have some errands to run.

Right click and save as only please.

Video with hazards showing both blinking and LED's superior cycle time (4.4 MB!)

Video showing right titanium blink, left faster blink, then right again (6.6 MB!)

Last edited by DaveGS4; 07-26-04 at 07:54 PM.
Old 07-26-04, 07:59 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Dave...you need a load equalizer to fix that hyper blinking caused by the LEDs.

Pete
Attached Thumbnails JP Tail Turn Signal Testing + LED vs Incandescent Bulbs-load_equalizer.jpg  
Old 07-26-04, 08:01 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

install....sorry..not too clear.
Attached Thumbnails JP Tail Turn Signal Testing + LED vs Incandescent Bulbs-installation.jpg  
Old 07-26-04, 08:22 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Cool, good info thanks!

Given the design of the GS tails, do you know the best place to put those? Doesn't seem like there is a lot of room to stash those things.

Methinks it might be easier just to put in the other titanium bulb That's the way I'm leaning at least if I have to do a mod to slow the blink down. I imagine they are relatively inexpensive.
Old 07-26-04, 09:49 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Gee Dave. I'd love to have this problem.
Old 07-26-04, 10:00 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Another option is to get rid of them JP tails....I'll gladly take them off your hands.
Old 07-26-04, 10:05 PM
siniquezu
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some places have those led bulbs stretched to have 15 LEDs instead of APC's 10.
Old 07-27-04, 12:13 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

yeah personally i would probably stick with the titanium bulb, it prbably lights up better

the problem with the led is that the effective resistance is way too small compared to the original bulb, so it's blinking freaking fast. the equalizer is to set in the resistance again. you can probably splice the wires behind the taillihgts if you want

but personally i think that's too much hassle
Old 08-05-04, 11:46 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

So Dave, which bulbs did you end up with for your turn signals? The titanium ones or the LED kind? I just got a set of titanium bulbs (same as yours) the other day for the rear turn signals in my '01 ES. My tails also have no amber cover (gotta love that feature), so I hope when I install the bulbs soon that the orange-prism effect won't show thru the clear portion of the tails. Here's what it looks like now:

Old 08-05-04, 11:57 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Yep, that's exactly what I wanted to avoid (using yellow colored bulbs).

I pulled out the LED and went with the chrome covered bulb. Works like a champ & looks awesome. Can take closer up pic if you want.
Old 08-05-04, 12:35 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally posted by DaveGS4
Yep, that's exactly what I wanted to avoid (using yellow colored bulbs).

I pulled out the LED and went with the chrome covered bulb. Works like a champ & looks awesome. Can take closer up pic if you want.
so dave, any particular reason why you stick with the bulb instead?

not like i would have THIS problem any time soon though, hahha
Old 08-05-04, 01:11 PM
siniquezu
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found out that sylvania silverstars have some bulbs that cover the amber very well while retaining a good amount of lighting.

Here's a crummy picture but you get the drift:
http://community.webshots.com/s/imag...4IaiTVg_ph.jpg

Last edited by siniquezu; 08-05-04 at 01:11 PM.
Old 08-06-04, 10:45 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Originally posted by rominl
so dave, any particular reason why you stick with the bulb instead?

not like i would have THIS problem any time soon though, hahha
Yeah, one look at the wiring diagram to splice in a load equalizer to just make the LEDs blink right should give you an idea. It was purely because the bulb solution was simpler, plus I had to get the car inspected the next day and didn't want the 'fast blink'. I think the chrome bulb look better as well, although it isn't as "cool" as the LED would have been.

The LED was about the same brightness at night, but definitely appeared dimmer in the day.

I orginally went looking for the Silverstars locally, but they didn't have an application for the 7440 that I could locate anywhere.

Quick Reply: JP Tail Turn Signal Testing + LED vs Incandescent Bulbs