LFA Model (2012)

Will the LFA value emulate that of the Toyota 2000GT ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-15, 02:27 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Originally Posted by lfahalo
Oh, I don't know about that. I think they are undoubtedly better off for having gone through the exercise. Even simply for the reason that they showed the world what they can do. Having owned and driven the LFA now, I must admit to being in awe of the company's capabilities. Coming out of nowhere with a car this resolved, this close to perfection. Remember I am coming from a McLaren, the supposed progeny of Mr. OCD Ron Dennis. The Mac was exceptionally well built for a brand new platform, but still there were several service campaigns/recalls over the first couple of years. There have been zero on the LFA, according to my dealer. To say nothing about how it drives and sounds, which put it in a league of one.

It does make me think, crikey, what else can these guys do when they put their minds to something? A little bit scary, actually, for those with a sense of history!!

At a more grass-roots level, I brought my car out to an event organized by my dealer (at their request) and the fanaticism for the LFA amongst their other customers is off the charts. You would have a very hard time convincing my dealer that the LFA was a waste of time and resources. It is still very much a halo car in their eyes and helps them engage with their customers today.

To be honest, I'm not at all concerned with whether the LFA appreciates, depreciates or stays exactly where it is. When you have it in the garage and spend time poring over the construction, you realize there are perhaps a handful of cars ever made with this level of commitment to quality and attention to detail. One certainly does not get the impression that the MSRP was too high for the end result and that is before you even press the start button on the V10 which takes engine refinement to unheard of heights. My guess is they lost a lot more money on these cars than they even admit. However, in my view a very small expense for Toyota to have a production conquest like the LFA on their resume.

It really put the Lexus brand in a completely different light when magazine comparos declared LFA winner over Lamborghinis, Ferraris, AMG SLS Mercedes etc.

Then there is the impact it had on the media where it was regularly hailed as the "best car" by people like Clarkson (who pretty much hates every other Lexus).

It was the only Japanese car that made it into several "Top 5" and "Top 10" Greatest cars list. With millions of subscribers, it made people take the brand very seriously.

There are haters out there who remain adamant the car does not justify its price, but looking closer reveals those people never drove the car and most likely never will be able to.
Old 07-23-15, 07:33 AM
evident
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by carsondriv
As one of the individuals who sold my Mclaren to pick up the lexus I can say the following.. It is all about the experience.. from the feeling of the steering wheel, the switch gear, and the seats, to the sound as you engage the gears and of course the sound of the engine, it's special...BUT, it is only until you drive it though that things begin to click.. you have to know the car to understand it... the sound on videos does it no justice, even standing outside it hearing it rev while impressive, is still not it... but sit inside the cabin, step on the throttle from 3,500 rpm and wow.. the sound in the cabin.. pure automotive nirvana..

Everywhere I take the car it has it's followers.. it's so rare and so special.. it was the hit of a recent supercar show in the Philadelphia area above ferrari's, porsches, bugatti, mclarens etc..

A car this special with such dedication evident in its purpose and build deserves all the accolades it gets and is sure to appreciate in the future.... that said, even if for some strange (and totally unjust) reason it didn't, for me it's still the best I have ever driven..

Long live the LFA..

Was the LFA at this year's Philly car show? I was all over the lexus area and didn't see it at all.

congratulations on your LFA. i'm sure you don't take it out in our nasty winters in philly
Old 07-30-15, 05:32 PM
carsondriv
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

No it wasn't at the Philly car show... but it was at the supercars exhibit and best of Japanese at the Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum...
Old 08-11-15, 11:04 PM
travanx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am 36 and became an engineer because of the NSX. Over the last 15 years I can only think of 3 supercars that are interesting. LFA, Ford GT and Enzo. I think the innovations in technology to build the LFA are similar to the NSX. But the LFA is so rare that I have only seen 1 in Los Angeles, its a bit too rare. I have seen that bearded Porsche guy driving around more!

Its backwards but after getting the IS350, I could see myself maybe getting an LFA next over the other car I wanted next, an F355. The LFA youtube videos brought me more into getting the IS. Halo car for sure to the car enthusiast. I tell my girl the F-sport gauges are based on the LFA and she just says huh?

Has an LFA been in any movies?
Old 08-12-15, 12:04 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

fast5 i believe?
Old 08-12-15, 01:57 AM
travanx
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rominl
fast5 i believe?
Yikes I need to watch that again. :egad:

Is that target audience going to want an LFA when they start making more money? Movies make cars look really sexy, and besides Furious movies & the R33/R34's, I can't think of any recent movies that do this. Would kids right now be putting up posters for an LFA? Or is it going to be people in their early 20's that want one in the future?

I have driven with my previous boss around town, who is a big Porsche fanatic, and the only time I have seen him follow a car was with the LFA. He is older than me though, but could buy one. He was very interested in what I thought about the Lexus.

Maybe its the late 20's right now who will value these highly 10 years from now?
Old 08-12-15, 03:04 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Will the LFA value emulate that of the Toyota 2000GT ?
It will take some time but absolutely. Short of vintage Ferrari's, modern for modern the LFA will be a unicorn compared to 458's, F12's etc..
Old 08-12-15, 04:28 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by travanx
Yikes I need to watch that again. :egad:

Is that target audience going to want an LFA when they start making more money? Movies make cars look really sexy, and besides Furious movies & the R33/R34's, I can't think of any recent movies that do this. Would kids right now be putting up posters for an LFA? Or is it going to be people in their early 20's that want one in the future?

I have driven with my previous boss around town, who is a big Porsche fanatic, and the only time I have seen him follow a car was with the LFA. He is older than me though, but could buy one. He was very interested in what I thought about the Lexus.

Maybe its the late 20's right now who will value these highly 10 years from now?
it's the end when hans drove off with gisele in
Old 08-12-15, 04:53 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
it's the end when hans drove off with gisele in his lap
fixed for you
Old 10-12-15, 01:37 PM
DrDDay
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With it's limited production and very unique stature in it's market, you should see LFA prices soar over the decades to come.

This car can not be compared to the base model offerings of exotic only manufacturers (ie Gallardo, F430/458 ect). This is a car that was a major engineering accomplishment for a company that was stepping way out of its comfort zone. I think you're also going to see its value increase over time just for the sheer fact that the NA supercar era is over, and what better way to end it that a marvelously tuned piece of engineering like that V10? Just like the 458 Speciale is expected to skyrocket in value, all of the handcrafted NA halo cars of that era will skyrocket as well.

I also think that the LFA is misunderstood and placed within the wrong segments upon historical comparison. This isn't car that compares with the CGT, or Enzo. I feel like it is more along the lines MercClaren SLR. Front engine, rear drive with a very comfortable and luxurious interior.

I think in 10-15 years, the LFA will be thought of very well. Both as a marvelous beginning to the Lexus supercar book, and an ending to the NA supercar chapter.
Old 10-12-15, 04:21 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Great post overall.

However, as far as comparison goes, LFA actually handles as well or better than comparable rear mid-engine supercars. It is primarily rear biased car with neutral to oversteer leaning chassis. Cars like Mclaren SLR and Ferrari 599 GTB etc. might be heavy GT cars and tend to understeer when pushed to the limits, but LFA is a front mid-engine configuration car that handles like a proper supercar. Only wish it had super slick racing tires like all of the supercars these days have and it would demolish all tracks near the top.

Originally Posted by DrDDay
With it's limited production and very unique stature in it's market, you should see LFA prices soar over the decades to come.

This car can not be compared to the base model offerings of exotic only manufacturers (ie Gallardo, F430/458 ect). This is a car that was a major engineering accomplishment for a company that was stepping way out of its comfort zone. I think you're also going to see its value increase over time just for the sheer fact that the NA supercar era is over, and what better way to end it that a marvelously tuned piece of engineering like that V10? Just like the 458 Speciale is expected to skyrocket in value, all of the handcrafted NA halo cars of that era will skyrocket as well.

I also think that the LFA is misunderstood and placed within the wrong segments upon historical comparison. This isn't car that compares with the CGT, or Enzo. I feel like it is more along the lines MercClaren SLR. Front engine, rear drive with a very comfortable and luxurious interior.

I think in 10-15 years, the LFA will be thought of very well. Both as a marvelous beginning to the Lexus supercar book, and an ending to the NA supercar chapter.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 10-13-15 at 08:49 PM.
Old 10-13-15, 01:32 PM
lexusfan1
Driver School Candidate

LFA would be very hard to compete with, NSX? supra?
Old 01-15-16, 07:57 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

I am begging and hoping the LF-A depreciates horribly cause I want one!!! im a die hard lexus enthusiast but have a mcdonalds budget. all my Lexuses have been 20 years old and falling apart! id love to see a world with a well used, hooned out, $3,500 craigslist LFA cause that'd put it in my reach haha!

there is a flip side to that. although the LF-A is completely financially out of my reach, and most likely always will be unless I hit the powerball, its kind of a good thing that they command 6 figures still. it keeps them out of reach of jackasses that wont take care of them and drive them into the ground. there were so few made, its a car that if did depreciate like that, it could easily become extinct, and I don't want to know a world without this amazing machine.

just my $0.02 from a regular low income guy from the outside looking in. but we can all have dreams.