LFA Model (2012)

LFA twin turbo

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-15, 08:00 PM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default LFA twin turbo

Watching some Agera 1videos today, and I was impressed, very impressed, it has finally put the old monster to sleep, it has slayed the Bugatti.

It reminded me of the LFA. While the Agera 1 has a twin turbo charged 5 liter, the LFA has a 4.8 liter V10 NA.

I had to wonder why have Lexus not fitted the LFA with a twin turbo?! This is just insane, i cannot imagine the numbers the LFA will put out if it was fitted with a twin turbo..

Not even that, but why aren't Lexus not interested in turbo's?! I know the new NX has a small turbo, but seriously? On the NX and not on the RCF?! Call me crazy, but they are really playing the wrong move here, and Lexus seem very shy entering this category of the market. I am still a Lexus fanboy none the less for all the other great things they do, but they have really got to catch up with the world here. As a Lexus lover I wish there was a car that I could brag about.

Just look at Nissan, their neighbors, they make good economical cars although Toyota does a better job, but when they introduced the GTR R35, they made a monster, and from that day till now, most of the cars suffer from the GTR, especially 0-60 times.

Sorry about the long rant, but c'mon Lexus, give us something! At least give back the Supra.
Old 03-02-15, 08:13 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

It would be great for numbers, but would be detrimental to LFA's strong connections to the F1 racing car spirit, which is arguably what has been raved about the most. The instant response, ability to rev and rev quickly as well as the F1 sound. That is why LFA is being appreciated more and more now that is gone.

The rev limit would be reduced from 9500 rpm to around 7000 rpm and the sound would muted and hissing/burbling etc.

Anyway, if theoretically speaking, there would be another LFA, it would be the 5.3 Liter version of the V10 from the Code X racing car and hybrid electric motors. This would not sacrifice anything and should easily take it to hypercar territories of around 900 - 1000 HP.

Originally Posted by tHeKiNg911
Watching some Agera 1videos today, and I was impressed, very impressed, it has finally put the old monster to sleep, it has slayed the Bugatti.

It reminded me of the LFA. While the Agera 1 has a twin turbo charged 5 liter, the LFA has a 4.8 liter V10 NA.

I had to wonder why have Lexus not fitted the LFA with a twin turbo?! This is just insane, i cannot imagine the numbers the LFA will put out if it was fitted with a twin turbo..

Not even that, but why aren't Lexus not interested in turbo's?! I know the new NX has a small turbo, but seriously? On the NX and not on the RCF?! Call me crazy, but they are really playing the wrong move here, and Lexus seem very shy entering this category of the market. I am still a Lexus fanboy none the less for all the other great things they do, but they have really got to catch up with the world here. As a Lexus lover I wish there was a car that I could brag about.

Just look at Nissan, their neighbors, they make good economical cars although Toyota does a better job, but when they introduced the GTR R35, they made a monster, and from that day till now, most of the cars suffer from the GTR, especially 0-60 times.

Sorry about the long rant, but c'mon Lexus, give us something! At least give back the Supra.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 03-02-15 at 08:16 AM.
Old 03-09-15, 06:48 AM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

fitting the LFA with turbos would almost go against the philosophy of the car, which is to create the most pure driving experience possible. in the same sense that it would be equally blasphemous to put turbos on a mclaren f1. turbos are nice, but even the best turbo'd cars have a brief period of lag, and have a different power curve than a naturally aspirated car. now i've never driven the agera, but what i can draw comparisons between are the E55 and current E63 AMG.

the E55 was supercharged, and that had immediate, neck-snapping torque pretty much whenever you wanted it to. it was a 5.4 liter V8, but because AMG fitted it with a supercharger it felt like it may as well have been an 8 or 9 liter engine as soon as the supercharger engaged...

now the new E63 is a twin turbo V8 of the same size, quite literally the same size, and the new car is certainly faster, but the gradual building of turbo boost doesn't quite compare with the instantaneous engagement of a supercharger, which is driven by a belt and not exhaust gasses. at really low speeds, i think i'd have to say my 16 year old LS feels a bit quicker and more responsive than the E63. once the amg reaches 2000 rpm and those turbos spool the thing ******ing puuuuuuuulls...

now a supercharged LFA... that's something to consider
Old 04-21-15, 08:09 AM
leonwest
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
It would be great for numbers, but would be detrimental to LFA's strong connections to the F1 racing car spirit, which is arguably what has been raved about the most. The instant response, ability to rev and rev quickly as well as the F1 sound. That is why LFA is being appreciated more and more now that is gone.

The rev limit would be reduced from 9500 rpm to around 7000 rpm and the sound would muted and hissing/burbling etc.

Anyway, if theoretically speaking, there would be another LFA, it would be the 5.3 Liter version of the V10 from the Code X racing car and hybrid electric motors. This would not sacrifice anything and should easily take it to hypercar territories of around 900 - 1000 HP.
Sorry but no Lfa2 with hybrid now. Its all your guess.
Old 04-21-15, 10:30 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by leonwest
Sorry but no Lfa2 with hybrid now. Its all your guess.
What part of "if, theoretically speaking" is confusing?

BTW, welcome to the board.
Old 04-21-15, 06:03 PM
lfahalo
Rookie

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

If the LFA was turbocharged or hybrid, I would not have bought one.
Old 04-21-15, 07:25 PM
leonwest
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lfahalo
If the LFA was turbocharged or hybrid, I would not have bought one.
For sure next lfa will be hybrid in future.
Old 04-21-15, 07:33 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Not everything is better with twin or single turbo. Supra is a thing of the past, it was a great machine but just because it was a top tier sports car of it's era, doesn't mean everything needs to exist in it's shadow.
Old 04-21-15, 07:36 PM
leonwest
Driver School Candidate

What part of "if, theoretically speaking" is confusing?

BTW, welcome to the board.
Thanks buddy. English is not my mother language so sorry for your reading. And what I know from my friend -a writer who's close to HONDA&TOYOTA and always has fresh inside news, LFA2 R&D plan do exist but won't be available anytime soon. Even the TOYOTA itself doesn't have a decide yet.
Future hipo halo would be the SCF with twinturbo V8. Numbers are still too early to say right now .
Old 04-21-15, 09:44 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks buddy. English is not my mother language so sorry for your reading. And what I know from my friend -a writer who's close to HONDA&TOYOTA and always has fresh inside news, LFA2 R&D plan do exist but won't be available anytime soon. Even the TOYOTA itself doesn't have a decide yet.
Future hipo halo would be the SCF with twinturbo V8. Numbers are still too early to say right now .
Yeah, that is what the dealership was telling me as well. I was recently in there to inquire about used CPO IS-F etc. so they told me LF-LC is going to be the halo and it will be closer to the LFA than to the RC-F.
Old 04-21-15, 10:52 PM
leonwest
Driver School Candidate

Yeah, that is what the dealership was telling me as well. I was recently in there to inquire about used CPO IS-F etc. so they told me LF-LC is going to be the halo and it will be closer to the LFA than to the RC-F.
Yeah but still will be a hi-po GT not a real LFA like super car.
And I have some info about next supra either. It will be fast but far away from the GTR. Engine options will be 2.0T & 3.0T(or 3.5T which still in considering). A stunning M4 can be the benchmark to this new supra as lap time performance.
Old 04-22-15, 01:02 PM
lfahalo
Rookie

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

For sure next lfa will be hybrid in future.
That may be true, but I am talking about the current LFA and the subject of the original post.

To say the LFA should have been turbocharged, supercharged or a hybrid is to misunderstand the car and its creators completely, I believe.

Plus, if the LFA's true successor does not arrive for another 15 years, it may have a drivetrain that bears no resemblance to the current crop of hybrid vehicles we have today.
Old 04-24-15, 10:22 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

And I have some info about next supra either. It will be fast but far away from the GTR. Engine options will be 2.0T & 3.0T(or 3.5T which still in considering). A stunning M4 can be the benchmark to this new supra as lap time performance.
I know this is an LFA thread but that's great to hear about the new supra

I don't really care if it has to be as brutally fast as the GTR.