LFA Model (2012)

LFA - The Worst Halo Car of all Time ?!?!

Old 11-05-14, 12:02 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts

My only complaint about the car is it's too expensive. Other than that it's pretty cool.

I'd love to have one someday.
Old 11-24-14, 01:31 AM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

People are certainly entitled to their opinions, and let's remember that Jalopnik has served as a platform for the best Chris Harris article ever (http://jalopnik.com/5760248/how-ferrari-spins). Certainly, the article author's opinion can be considered less worthwhile given how many factual errors he demonstrates in the comments section.

Also, I still drive my car at least every week, so lots of people see mine....

Originally Posted by Contender
And the handling, fit and finish - all exemplary. I shall post pics one day of the entire, sealed bottom of the car (after the next oil change, I promise) which is make just about entirely of carbon fiber. I have never seen a car underside with the attention to fit and finish of the LFA. Of course hardly anyone ever sees the underside of the car - but it gives you some idea what the rest of the car is like. The cockpit for example - is perfect.
The day I took delivery, I had the dealer put the LFA on the lift so I could take pictures of the flat underbody from the rear:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lfa...ml#post6375267

The low height and configuration of the lift made it impossible to take good pictures of the whole underbody from a different perspective. Definitely looking forward to your pics!

Last edited by gengar; 11-24-14 at 01:36 AM.
Old 11-29-14, 07:22 PM
maineiac
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK - let's talk about halo cars. Well, let's talk about one in particular, and then relate it to the LFA. I'm talking about the Dodge Viper, specifically the 94 RT/10. First marketed in 92 it was virtually unchanged by the time I had the good fortune to drive a co-worker's 94. At the time I owned a 92 Taurus SHO said to be, at the time, the second fastest sedan available in America.

However, driving that Viper for half a day was a game-changer. Want to go? Andiamo! (Italian for let's go!) Want to pass a car? Andiamo! I think you get the idea - that bugger would go whenever and (within reason) wherever you wanted it to go. Kinda ruined the previous pleasure of driving the SHO for a couple of weeks. As the ads for the Viper said at the time, it was uncompromising.

But I digress. The LFA should be appreciated for being the Lexus halo car. Enjoy it if you can. Is it a Viper? Hell no. They're not the same thing, nor were they intended to be.
Old 11-29-14, 09:04 PM
Re3iRtH
Driver

You know what that is? I smell envy. Its no different from people hating on a celebrity like Kim Kardashian or Britney Spears because they are "so not talented" just like the LFA is "too slow". If you really thought it was a disappointment, it wouldn't have even lifted your radar, much like a homeless person you see down the street.

Originally Posted by UDel
I know you love this car and are the one who posts overwhelmingly in this forum and keeps the forum from being basically dead but people are going to have different opinions on the LFA.

It does not matter other less expensive cars are quicker then more expensive cars, the LFA still has some rather unimpressive performance specs considering the price and how new it was which did not help in its perception. 918 has done 0-60 in a Veyron equivalent 2.5 seconds, have not seen a 911 Turbo S beat that(came very close) and a 918 will be even more impressive at higher speeds then a 911 Turbo. You could say every high powered car is traction limited to 0-60 as an excuse for the LFA, the LFA is not even some torque monster like other high powered cars. 0-60 is not everything and I don't want it to seem like I am putting down the LFA, because I still think it is a good car and I am happy they at least built it, my issue with it had more to do with its price for its performance and such small numbers produced that it is unlikely to ever be seen on the road by 99% of people and won't do much for the brand. It does not make much sense for a common large scale automaker to make a car so expensive and in so little numbers. I makes sense for Bugatti or Lamborghini doing it but not Toyota/Lexus.

Nurburgring lap times have as much to do with drivers/tires/tuning as they do cars and it is a place 99.9% of sports car owners will never take their car to, other performance variables are achievable by 99% of drivers.

Before the LFA was released many even on here were speculating it would weigh well under 3000lbs due to the switch to carbon fiber, outperform a McLaren F1/Veyron, have over 600hp, and cost 160K to 180K, and look more like the concepts, none of which happened, the final product did not exactly meet most expectations and the price was shocking. The LFA did not shock the world, change the way sports cars are made, or put other makers on notice, it more or less came and went without many even noticing it.

The fact is any car company could make a monster supercar priced at 375K.

For a huge brand like Toyota/Lexus they don't have to price a low volume high end sports car to make a profit like Ferrari, Lamborghini, etc they have the money and cushioning from other sales to take a loss on the car. In my opinion I think the purpose of the LFA should have been or was to show the public Lexus can and will be building more driver focused cars and to give attention to the F performance cars, pricing it lower, building more, and having the car visible and seen by more of the public and having one at most dealerships would accomplish this even if it meant selling it at a big loss. Instead they just built 500 at a really high price ensuring 99% of the public will never even see one or know anything about it, many LFA's are/have already been on ebay, others have not even been sold to customers, they were bought by dealerships and just sitting around often hidden from the public.

That being said I don't agree with Jalapnik in that the LFA is the worst Halo Car of all time or their childish opinions on Lexus/Lexus drivers but there are some points in that article and what other posters have said that are true and I agree with, they are not the only ones to be critical of the LFA or its role either.
Old 11-29-14, 11:48 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

The whole premise of "LFA not being seen", is ridiculous.

There is no owner in North America (other than, Oracle CEO Larry Ellison), who drives his/her LFA more than Paris Hilton. She regularly shows off her LFA on TMZ and repeatedly calls it the best car more so than her McLaren 650s and Mclaren SLR.

Even to the point of putting shopping bags in her LFA....

Regarding halo car status, if this tribute video does not highlight LFA's accomplishments in 3 years, nothing ever will

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 11-30-14 at 12:04 AM.
Old 12-01-14, 10:42 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 183 Likes on 142 Posts

fwiw i never expect to see lfa often at all given only 178 in the US. and truth is, outside of corporate cars? i have yet to see one running on the road and i am in socal where you literally see pretty much every single damn exotic
Old 01-03-15, 01:45 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
fwiw i never expect to see lfa often at all given only 178 in the US. and truth is, outside of corporate cars? i have yet to see one running on the road and i am in socal where you literally see pretty much every single damn exotic
Saw this one at c&c in Scottsdale . Owner/ driver was female. She said she had an ISF before . Pretty sure it privately owned . Got a good shot with my car and the big daddy F car . There was an RCF at he following show . Would have been cool to have all of us together at the same time
Attached Thumbnails LFA - The Worst Halo Car of all Time ?!?!-image-743135211.png   LFA - The Worst Halo Car of all Time ?!?!-image-2143187314.png  
Old 01-03-15, 07:04 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

^^^^

Very nice picture. Wonder why she would swap such great stock wheels for those one's?
Old 01-03-15, 09:20 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts

I think those are HRE wheels , and the car was bought by Superstition Springs Lexus in Arizona, they put those wheels on the car and had hold on to it for quite a while. It's supposedly the only Black Amethyst LFA in N. America, if not the world I think ......

They still have it with Christmas decorations on in their showroom a year ago , I have seen pictures of it with those wheels in their facebook page. I think they have removed some of those pictures since ......

Whether they have since sold the car with those wheels, I don't know ......

Last edited by Gojirra99; 01-04-15 at 03:16 PM.
Old 01-04-15, 12:11 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Cool little article from Jalopnik, no, really, I enjoyed reading his comical point of view. But, he forgot to mention, the people who doesn't know what the LFA is, is NOT the target market of Lexus.
Old 01-04-15, 12:48 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
I think those are HRE wheels , and the car was bought by Superstition Springs Lexus in Arizona, they put those wheels on the car and had hold on to it for quite a while. It's supposedly the only Black Amethyst LFA in N. America, if not the world I think ......

They still have it with Christmas decorations on in their showroom a year ago , I have seen pictures of it with those wheels in their facebook page. I think they have removed some of those pictures since ...

I think this is the same car :

Pics :

https://www.facebook.com/SSLexus/pho...type=3&theater

More pics :
Attached Thumbnails LFA - The Worst Halo Car of all Time ?!?!-000blackamethyst9.jpg   LFA - The Worst Halo Car of all Time ?!?!-000blackamethyst28.jpg   LFA - The Worst Halo Car of all Time ?!?!-000blackamethyst48.jpg  

Last edited by Gojirra99; 01-04-15 at 03:16 PM.
Old 01-04-15, 03:22 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

The wheels look nicer in the video.

Old 01-05-15, 10:56 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 183 Likes on 142 Posts

They still have it with Christmas decorations on in their showroom a year ago , I have seen pictures of it with those wheels in their facebook page. I think they have removed some of those pictures since ......

yes i believe it's the same car. not a fan of the wheels at all, i am not a fan of high polished anyway and i don't think they flow with the car

very good to see it at the meet though, the video is all over the internet too

on another note, another lfa (new) sold in dec!
Old 01-05-15, 02:38 PM
Levi68
Pole Position

My favourite colour for the LFA, or any supercar for that instance.