Search this Thread

Old 01-22-14, 04:58 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts
Default New Lexus LFA 5.3 Liter V10: Sights, rumors, sounds and discussion

Displacement: 5.3 Liter V10
Power: Unknown
Rumored engine speed: ~ 12,000 rpm (restricted to 7500 rpm in the Code X race car)

For comparison purposes, this LFA AD-X has the 5.3 Liter V10 and is revving to over 10,000 rpm (possibly 12,000 rpm) with a standard LFA on the same Dottinger Hohe uphill climb where LFA always hits 285 km/h.

It is possibly doing 310 - 315 km/h (190 mph) revving up to ~ 12,000 rpm like a Motor GP superbike in this video on the Dottinger Hohe uphill climb

By comparison, a standard LFA doing 282 - 285 km/h in 6th gear at ~ 8500 rpm (its typical speed on Dottinger Hohe uphill). The difference is very clear

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 01-22-14 at 06:21 PM.
Old 01-22-14, 05:30 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Incredible. I know there isn't much info, but do we know if this 5.3L V10 is bored and stroked from 4.8 liters or some new V10 off similar architechture. Also think it's tuned by Yamaha?
Old 01-22-14, 06:17 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Incredible. I know there isn't much info, but do we know if this 5.3L V10 is bored and stroked from 4.8 liters or some new V10 off similar architechture. Also think it's tuned by Yamaha?
It is not stroked. It is bored out to gain the extra displacement. The short stroke is absolutely critical for the engine to be able to rev insanely high and the piston speed/stroke. The 12,000 rpm seeing from the video above sounds very real since it sounds like a Moto GP superbike in the video.

Seeing the speed in the video, it must be making serious amount of horsepower to be travelling that fast on a 35 degree incline (even if at the very least of 116 HP/Liter that the 4.8 Liter makes, it would be making 630 HP + ).

Since Yamaha co-developed the engine with Lexus, ofcourse Yamaha would be involved in any kind of architecture changes to the engine.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 01-22-14 at 06:21 PM.
Old 01-23-14, 03:34 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Toyota doesnt need Yamaha to execute these upgrades. TMG could have done this. The GTE LFA was 4.9liters and that was done solely by them.
Old 01-23-14, 04:22 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
It is not stroked. It is bored out to gain the extra displacement. The short stroke is absolutely critical for the engine to be able to rev insanely high and the piston speed/stroke. The 12,000 rpm seeing from the video above sounds very real since it sounds like a Moto GP superbike in the video.

Seeing the speed in the video, it must be making serious amount of horsepower to be travelling that fast on a 35 degree incline (even if at the very least of 116 HP/Liter that the 4.8 Liter makes, it would be making 630 HP + ).

Since Yamaha co-developed the engine with Lexus, ofcourse Yamaha would be involved in any kind of architecture changes to the engine.
Thanks for the info. You and a handful here seem to be the resident LFA guys
Old 01-25-14, 12:10 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That sounds is as good as it gets to my ear. Ughghghhghggh.
Old 01-25-14, 08:15 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TF109B
Toyota doesnt need Yamaha to execute these upgrades. TMG could have done this. The GTE LFA was 4.9liters and that was done solely by them.
It is not about the displacement The GTE car redline spec was 9000 rpm. It is about the new engine reaching 12,000 rpm (clearly, it is getting near that in the video I posted above). No other brand would even dare to go near such a redline on a car engine that is supposed to last several hundred thousand miles without any rebuild or any issues.

It requires ultra light pistons, zero internal friction etc. 12,000 rpm is a whole different ballgame compared to 9500 rpm. That is why I mentioned architectural changes. Yamaha provides all of the expertise acquired through decades of building high-revving engines to Lexus.

Paul Williamson said Yamaha is an integral part of the 1LR engine development and building process (which is why it is stamped on the engine block as a way for Lexus to acknowledge). Very obviously, Lexus is using Yamaha's expertise to make sure the engine is bullet proof even at 12,000 rpm.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 01-25-14 at 08:26 PM.
Old 01-27-14, 09:25 AM
LexFather

I thought we had a thread on this car? I wish I had more to share outside of pics from TAS 2014…. I was shocked it was there!
Old 01-27-14, 10:55 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexFather
I thought we had a thread on this car? I wish I had more to share outside of pics from TAS 2014…. I was shocked it was there!
That is an old Gazoo 24 hour thread. I wanted to dedicate a new thread to the new engine since it is major news, which would most likely lead to developments for the LFA 2.
Old 01-27-14, 05:20 PM
LexFather

That is an old Gazoo 24 hour thread. I wanted to dedicate a new thread to the new engine since it is major news, which would most likely lead to developments for the LFA 2.
Makes sense, rock on
Old 01-27-14, 09:10 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

It is not about the displacement The GTE car redline spec was 9000 rpm. It is about the new engine reaching 12,000 rpm (clearly, it is getting near that in the video I posted above). No other brand would even dare to go near such a redline on a car engine that is supposed to last several hundred thousand miles without any rebuild or any issues.

It requires ultra light pistons, zero internal friction etc. 12,000 rpm is a whole different ballgame compared to 9500 rpm. That is why I mentioned architectural changes. Yamaha provides all of the expertise acquired through decades of building high-revving engines to Lexus.

Paul Williamson said Yamaha is an integral part of the 1LR engine development and building process (which is why it is stamped on the engine block as a way for Lexus to acknowledge). Very obviously, Lexus is using Yamaha's expertise to make sure the engine is bullet proof even at 12,000 rpm.
I dont think you get it. Toyota has all the know how to do things like this to their engine. They dont need a guy from Yamaha. They used Yamaha for the engine, great. But making the engine different is nothing out of their own profession. I dont know where you get 12,500rpm from either. Nothing Toyota said has mentioned anything about increased revs. Itd make no sense to go that high anyway. It only burns more fuel, the opposite of whats needed in a 24hr race. Same with the GTE LFA. The sound difference can be attributed to a different exhaust.
Old 01-27-14, 09:22 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

I explained everything in the first post. Listening to the engine, it is revving A LOT higher than 9500 rpm and it is very clear in that video.

Besides, I created this thread for the 5.3 Liter V10 engine and not the code X 24-hour racing car. I had mentioned earlier it will be limited to 7500 rpm most likely in the code X racing car. There is nothing I am disagreeing about in regards to this due to restrictor regulations.

The 12,000 rpm I am estimating from the video I posted in the first post is something I believe would be for the the possible production LFA 2 Tanahashi said he is working on right now.

Again, no confirmation and only speculation , but I know definitely from the video as I posted is very strong evidence that supports it. It is clearly revving much higher than the standard LFA. There is zero doubt about it.

As to why would Lexus be interested in putting such a high redline, the simple reasons could:

1 - Tanahashi san had said in one interview that he originally wanted to put a 10,000 rpm redline on the LFA, but Lexus would not give him permission.

2 - Why? simply because Lexus possibly wanted a lot of horsepower out of the 5.3 Liter V10 naturally aspirated. Higher revs considering the 1LR engine makes maximum torque at high revs allows the car to produce a lot more horsepower possibly than 116 HP/Liter.

3 - Strengthen the LFA connections to its F1 heritage/driver experience and also just to do something no one else has ever done before.

I dont think you get it. Toyota has all the know how to do things like this to their engine. They dont need a guy from Yamaha. They used Yamaha for the engine, great. But making the engine different is nothing out of their own profession. I dont know where you get 12,500rpm from either. Nothing Toyota said has mentioned anything about increased revs. Itd make no sense to go that high anyway. It only burns more fuel, the opposite of whats needed in a 24hr race. Same with the GTE LFA. The sound difference can be attributed to a different exhaust.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 01-27-14 at 10:55 PM.
Old 01-28-14, 12:15 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Theres no evidence to assume this 5.3L engine is in any of those LFA's. The fact is the regular LFA does NOT reach its highest revs on that straight. If it did it would be close to its max speed around 320kmh. Its not going that fast. From the Nurb edition video the car didn't even go above 300kmh. So no, it doesn't need a bigger engine to make a different sound or travel at a higher speed. The photo stills of the AD-X even show a different exhaust. The only thing different is the car probably weighs less and runs a different exhaust. Even if it does run the 5.3L engine, nothing suggests its revving to 12,000rpm. The regular 9,500rpm was never reached even by the Nurb edition, so thats where you should look. They could have tweaked the gearing as well by shortening the ratios.
Old 01-28-14, 06:14 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

I don't think any of that makes sense. It has absolutely nothing to do with the exhaust. It is all about the engine sound and speed in the AD-X video from 0:04 to 0:11.

It is about when the AD-X is flying towards the camera and only the engine sound could be heard. The exhaust sounds is almost identical when both cars fly by The engine/induction sounds A LOT more high strung in the AD-X comparison video I posted when both cars are coming towards the camera. When both cars are flying away from the camera, they sound almost identical. It has nothing to do with the exhaust.

I predicted over a year ago from watching the early AD-X video that this engine sounds bigger probably displacing over 5.0 Liters in the thread when the spy shots were first posted (by myself) of the AD-X. If you really need to see proof, I could go back and dig up that post where I listened to the sound and accurately predicted it sounds like an engine displacing over 5.0 Liters. My prediction came 100% true.

I can listen to sounds and easily figure out the engine speeds. It is something of an ability I have quite possibly because I have owned a high-revving engine for over 10 years that revs up to 8400 rpm.

This video is the best comparison where first the standard LFA with 4.8 Liter V10 flies by and then 5.3 Liter V10 LFA AD-X (different paint) flies by. If you cannot see the massive difference in how much faster the engine is spinning and higher strung engine/induction sounds on the AD-X then nothing will convince you.

The engine sound at 0:10 sounds a lot more higher speed than the engine sound at 0:05

We can just agree to disagree. This is what my take on it is. I have clearly put "rumors" in the title so nothing is official until it is made official anyway.

Theres no evidence to assume this 5.3L engine is in any of those LFA's. The fact is the regular LFA does NOT reach its highest revs on that straight. If it did it would be close to its max speed around 320kmh. Its not going that fast. From the Nurb edition video the car didn't even go above 300kmh. So no, it doesn't need a bigger engine to make a different sound or travel at a higher speed. The photo stills of the AD-X even show a different exhaust. The only thing different is the car probably weighs less and runs a different exhaust. Even if it does run the 5.3L engine, nothing suggests its revving to 12,000rpm. The regular 9,500rpm was never reached even by the Nurb edition, so thats where you should look. They could have tweaked the gearing as well by shortening the ratios.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 01-28-14 at 07:26 PM.
Old 01-29-14, 06:51 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Im not picking on you, but imo your theory holds no weight. From the press release of the LFA running the 5.3 liter engine at the N24 this year, they explain it was made for the race. The engine was made to do the N24, not for a blue AD-X LFA with a different bodykit and exhaust. The sound you hear is not because its a different engine. They dont need a larger engine to increase revs. Just the opposite in fact; to make more power with equal or reduced revs. Theres nothing to back up that theory except youtube videos. But according to Toyota, the larger engine was made for a specific race this year.

Quick Reply: New Lexus LFA 5.3 Liter V10: Sights, rumors, sounds and discussion