Default LFA vs NSX

Not a fair comparison
My NSX is worth about the CF trunk/hood of an LFA

He described the LFA squirrely???

Old 07-25-12, 10:58 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Interesting comparison. The NSX and the LFA are in totally different leagues in my opinion. It's just like comparing GT-R to NSX or GT-R to LFA...it's like beating on a dead horse. The guys at MT must be really bored lately.
Old 07-25-12, 11:03 AM
jpvarghese
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It was fun to watch. I don't mind the comparison since no one cross shops these cars. I'm interested in seeing rolla's reponse though!
Old 07-25-12, 11:42 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

I am at my office so I cannot see the video, but my expectations are the lowest possible from Motor Trend.

Unfortunately, Car and driver has not done any reviews comparos of LFA in the last 2 years, which is what truly be interesting.

Seeing how Motor Trend in the past has done more damage that all of the other publications combined and made LFA look like an ordinary, overpriced exotic supercar where the end result does not justify the means, I can bet it must be quite a terrible review for the LFA where they must have been criticized it a lot. That is my guess.

I will find out when I get home in the evening.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 07-25-12 at 11:46 AM.
Old 07-25-12, 11:47 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

I wouldn't wipe my sister's dog *** with motortrend's paper.
Not even worth it.

He's biased towards the NSX and only likes the sound of the screaming V10.
Old 07-25-12, 11:51 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

probably the best thing in this video is those runs on the lfa and the engine sound.

i actually think comparing the nsx and lfa is a much more valid comparison. both of them are at the "exotic" level at their time, given the styling, the shape, the design philosophy, etc... gtr and supra they were fast at their time, but they weren't exotic. nsx was pretty darn expensive for what it was at the time. it's nothing (price, performance) compared to lfa now of course, but with time factor i think it's cool

can't agree with a lot of what he said on the lfa though. lfa is hard to drive?! man with other exotics, how can he complain about the lfa? the car is so easy to drive for a super car. and on the tranny, it's harsh, but he needs to try that single clutch in lamborghini again.

anyway, i just enjoy the lfa sound most in the video
Old 07-25-12, 11:53 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Not even worth it.

hehe bias is ok, most reviewers have their bias anyway. but this guy, he is saying things that don't make much sense
Old 07-25-12, 11:53 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Not even worth it.

Hmmm....I am not surprised at all.

From what I remember, Motor Trend is the only publication ever that complained in the past about LFA being "too edgy" and "does not inspire confidence" compared to even a car like Mustang Boss 302.

Contrary to something Scott Pruett has spent years promoting to everyone that it is one of the easiest exotic supercars to drive with loads of grip at the limit.

That sucks! Not a good thing ever when Motor Trend has an LFA since they only have tried to tarnish its reputation.

I wish Lexus could just stop giving them the LFA.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 07-25-12 at 11:57 AM.
Old 07-25-12, 11:59 AM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wonder if they screwed with the tire pressure's again? hah! I don't even visit MT anymore. This is probably to get their site/magazine talked about.
Old 07-25-12, 12:01 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah i'm a little confused as to why they would compare these two cars. The NSX was designed in the 80's...it was a technological marvel when new but will not hold its own against the current crop of supercars, even when modified. I missed where he called the LFA squirrely, but you could use that term to describe the NSX, especially at the limit. Pretty sure i've spun both of the ones I had. We'll see what the new one has to offer when they start doing comparos with it (and if we're lucky a new Supra will follow shortly thereafter).
Old 07-25-12, 12:13 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Lex Luthor
Yeah i'm a little confused as to why they would compare these two cars. The NSX was designed in the 80's...it was a technological marvel when new but will not hold its own against the current crop of supercars, even when modified. I missed where he called the LFA squirrely, but you could use that term to describe the NSX, especially at the limit. Pretty sure i've spun both of the ones I had. We'll see what the new one has to offer when they start doing comparos with it (and if we're lucky a new Supra will follow shortly thereafter).
to me (and i am being honest here), it sounds like he's not good enough to handle high power cars. i am used to cars like m3, isf, m5, and i have no problem performing pretty well in those cars, knowing how to push them without going over the top.

however the first time when i drove the lfa, it did get the better of me. car was really fast, super sensitive throttle and revving, and coupled with the dynamics, etc... it did take some time to get used to.

as they say, you need to be bigger than your car in order to really drive it. otherwise, of course the car seems to be going everywhere (out of control)
Old 07-25-12, 12:21 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've never heard any other reviewer say the LFA was squirrelly, hard to drive and not suitable for regular use. He said several times the LFA was flawed.
Then he turned around and said the NSX was perfect in every way.
That made the entire review irrelevant and unreliable. How can anyone take this guy seriously after he unabashedly demonstrated a bias against a car that practically everyone else raves about. He has the right to not like it but in his guise as a reviewer, he is obligated to provide an objective report. He failed.
Old 07-25-12, 12:23 PM
ShadowISF
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really like the NSX but they are in different leagues.
Old 07-25-12, 01:28 PM
CrazyMPG
Phat Monkey

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I thought it was enjoyable. The driver obviously like the more mechanical feel of the NSX which I don't fault him for, but the LFA is the new generation although they didn't use the best transmission IMO. Good fun video nonetheless!
Old 07-25-12, 02:09 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

God I miss Car and driver not doing a comparo. Motor Trend always makes me realize how good and fair Car and driver is.

I wish they could do a comparo on LFA since they have not done one in 2 years (LFA vs Ferrari 599 GTB HGTE was the last one).

Originally Posted by CrazyMPG
but the LFA is the new generation although they didn't use the best transmission IMO. Good fun video nonetheless!
That is very subjective. Unfortunately, publications like Motor Trend have a very selective argument and completely discount the merits of a single-clutch transmission (only tranny used in racing, more reliable, handles higher revs more easily, much smaller packaging etc.)

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 07-25-12 at 02:15 PM.

Quick Reply: LFA vs NSX