LFA Model (2012)

Lexus LFA “Special Edition” Prototype Spied On The ‘Ring

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-12, 07:38 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Originally Posted by 07grIS350
Holy smoke, 800 hp LFA. I want that upgrade ASAP.
I would not put too much stock in what the video says until we hear the full details from Lexus of what this car entails.
Old 06-26-12, 08:05 AM
wickedsc3
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
No definitely not an LF-LC. The dash cowel looks identical to that of the LFA and the seats/steering wheel are placed exactly just aft of the rear axle, which is where the LFA seats are. That makes it impossible for it to be an LF-LC because the LF-LC will have rear seats.

When Lexus say they are losing money on LFA, that includes all of the cost of the purpose-built factory, all of the special R&D to build all of the components for the LFA including the engine.

Now, with all of that done, technically Lexus can actually make money and profit by re-using most of the components and tweaking them to develop a better and improved LFA 2.

They also need a production LFA next year to compete in the Nurburgring racing otherwise, they have nothing to go head to head with the best cars there.
I was strictly talking LF-LC engine testing. You do know companies test motors in other cars right?
Are you sure Lexus has crossed that line into making money on the LFA?
Old 06-26-12, 08:51 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Here's my guess on the AD-A signature on the fender...

ADVANCE DEVELOPMENT - APEX

When LFA was still a concept it was called LF-A, "Lexus Future-Advance". Later it became LFA, "Lexus Fuji Apex".

Last edited by flipside909; 06-26-12 at 08:55 AM.
Old 06-26-12, 10:00 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by flipside909
Here's my guess on the AD-A signature on the fender...

ADVANCE DEVELOPMENT - APEX

When LFA was still a concept it was called LF-A, "Lexus Future-Advance". Later it became LFA, "Lexus Fuji Apex".
That totally makes sense. This must be a prototype of a new car called AD-A.
Old 06-26-12, 11:59 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Here you go!

First ever video footage of the Lexus AD-A

p.s. And the proof like I stated above that this is not an LF-LC prototype, but a variant of the LFA.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 06-26-12 at 12:32 PM.
Old 06-26-12, 12:51 PM
07grIS350
Lead Lap

Thanks for posting this.
Is it just me or it seems that the howling V10 rev is missing as the car entered (downshift) and exited the corners? The sound is kind of flat.

Here you go!

p.s. And the proof like I stated above that this is not an LF-LC prototype, but a variant of the LFA.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUQSQ...layer_embedded
Old 06-26-12, 12:55 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Here you go!

you missed wickedsc3's post #32 where he said this could be testing on the driven train?

i have seen tons of test mules where the shell is something but internally it's for something else
Old 06-26-12, 01:00 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

No I did not miss the post and I know that is plausible.

However, does the car in the video not sound like a V10 to you???

Originally Posted by rominl
you missed wickedsc3's post #32 where he said this could be testing on the driven train?

i have seen tons of test mules where the shell is something but internally it's for something else

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 06-26-12 at 01:05 PM.
Old 06-26-12, 01:59 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

it sounds like electric

honestly sound from a video i wouldn't even try to guess what's inside. i mean, even 07grIS350 posted about it too.
Old 06-26-12, 02:32 PM
wickedsc3
Driver

It sounded like a V10 at the top, but down low it kind of sounded different, but that could just be me.
Do you know what motor their using in the LF-LC? Maybe a detuned v10 with hybrid
Again just a guess, it would be cool if they were doing more with the LFA.
Old 06-26-12, 04:26 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
it sounds like electric

honestly sound from a video i wouldn't even try to guess what's inside. i mean, even 07grIS350 posted about it too.
I mean, come on!

The V10 has a very signature and distinct set of octaves that are completely unmistakable and cannot be replicated by V6, V8 or V12 configurations especially the mid and low octaves. It is 100% a V10 engine. In the second clip at high rpms, it sounds identical to the LFA.

Down low, it sounds much more racy, aggressive, dense and deep than the LFA and LFA NE sound, which signals to me either an open race exhaust or a bigger displacement V10 engine. It could be in the 5.0 - 5.2 liter displacement range. My guess is a bigger displacement V10 due to the huskier nature of the sound in the midrange.

In a nutshell, the video shows that something has been done to the LFA V10. No one knows what it is.

Originally Posted by wickedsc3
It sounded like a V10 at the top, but down low it kind of sounded different, but that could just be me.
Do you know what motor their using in the LF-LC? Maybe a detuned v10 with hybrid
Again just a guess, it would be cool if they were doing more with the LFA.
To be honest, the V10 in that video sounds menacing. It has a haunting timbre down at low rpm range that progressively changes to the same signature high pitched shriek of the LFA.

If they can mate a hybrid to the V10 without giving up anything then seriously it could be a Porsche 918 killer, but it is all speculations at this point.

As for the LF-LC, they said it will be a V6 mated to a hybrid.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 06-26-12 at 04:45 PM.
Old 06-26-12, 05:52 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Didn't look like they were pushing as hard as they could, especially because there is traffic on the Ring. I love that color also. According to another forum, a Japanese user said in Best Car magazine that Lexus plans on entering the LFA in SuperGT GT500 class for 2014. That may coincide with a link up with DTM.
Old 06-26-12, 06:06 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Here you go!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUQSQ...layer_embedded
It's really hard to say what motor is in that LFA body. It doesn't sound like a V10 because LFA's 1LR-GUE is high strung. But then again i've never heard a V8 sound like that before. The mystery continues!

BTW, did anyone even notice that test mule covered in camo behind the LFA? lol
Old 06-26-12, 06:26 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

I mean, come on!

The V10 has a very signature and distinct set of octaves that are completely unmistakable and cannot be replicated by V6, V8 or V12 configurations especially the mid and low octaves. It is 100% a V10 engine. In the second clip at high rpms, it sounds identical to the LFA.

Down low, it sounds much more racy, aggressive, dense and deep than the LFA and LFA NE sound, which signals to me either an open race exhaust or a bigger displacement V10 engine. It could be in the 5.0 - 5.2 liter displacement range. My guess is a bigger displacement V10 due to the huskier nature of the sound in the midrange.

In a nutshell, the video shows that something has been done to the LFA V10. No one knows what it is.
lol, you say whatever you want. trying to do that kind of analysis from a youtube video
Old 06-26-12, 06:26 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Well, the high-strung characteristics in stock LFA come from the fact that it has a very fast piston speed due to very small cylindrical capacity (480 CC per cylinder). It has really nothing to do with it being V10 or not. If you listen to the Viper V10, you will see it is a very very lazy V10 (with massive 840 CC per cylinder capacity), but the mid and low octaves are similar to the LFA V10 (the distinct 'rrrr' sound in the mid octaves). It is the high Octaves where LFA intensely shrieks while the Viper V10 bumbles and burps.

The mid and low octaves of V10 are very very distinct and simply cannot be replicated in any other configuration, which is why it is unmistakably a V10 engine. It still sounds similar enough to an LFA V10 far more than being dissimilar.

That is why I mentioned, due to the less high-strung nature in the video (that we agree on), it means the engine might have been stroked to increase displacement to 5.0 - 5.2 Liter. With increased cylinderical capacity, it results in slower piston speeds, lower rev limit and becomes lower revving than the LFA 1LR and less high strung.

Listen to this spy video back from 2007 and see it sounds very similar in similar surroundings.

I can sense a "storm coming"

p.s. The camouflaged SUV behind the LFA looks like a Lexus RX to me.

Originally Posted by flipside909
It's really hard to say what motor is in that LFA body. It doesn't sound like a V10 because LFA's 1LR-GUE is high strung. But then again i've never heard a V8 sound like that before. The mystery continues!

BTW, did anyone even notice that test mule covered in camo behind the LFA? lol

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 06-26-12 at 07:12 PM.

Quick Reply: Lexus LFA “Special Edition” Prototype Spied On The ‘Ring