LFA Model (2012)

Gazoo LFA racing car qualifying lap (Bonus clip: Gazoo LFA vs SP8 GTR vs GT3 Cup)

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-12, 04:22 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts
Default Gazoo LFA racing car qualifying lap (Bonus clip: Gazoo LFA vs SP8 GTR vs GT3 Cup)

Gazoo LFA with Akira Iida as driver qualifying lap video for Nurburgring 24-hours race:

Gazoo SP8 LFA (SP8) vs Nissan GTR (SP8T) vs Porsche 911 GT3 RSR Cup racing car (GT3) battling it out in the Nurburgring 24-hours race:

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 06-08-12 at 04:30 PM.
Old 06-08-12, 07:15 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

loved the way the LFA squeezed in between the GTR and the Porsche, and eventually took the lead. SWEET!!!!!!
Old 06-08-12, 08:41 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
loved the way the LFA squeezed in between the GTR and the Porsche, and eventually took the lead. SWEET!!!!!!
Yeah, if you notice LFA vanished into the horizon leaving the GTR and GT3 to battle it out.
Old 06-09-12, 04:08 AM
07grIS350
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Yeah, if you notice LFA vanished into the horizon leaving the GTR and GT3 to battle it out.
Almost as if the two other cars were standing still.
The sound inside the LFA was just amazing!
Was is the car or the driver or both that made the LFA ran away from the GT-R like that?

Last edited by 07grIS350; 06-09-12 at 04:17 AM.
Old 06-09-12, 09:21 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 07grIS350
Was is the car or the driver or both that made the LFA ran away from the GT-R like that?
Both.

LFA passed both cars in the early tight turns of the GP section of Nurburgring, but as soon as they hit the long straight sections of Nurburgring has long straights, it was gone.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 06-09-12 at 09:24 AM.
Old 06-09-12, 11:41 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

i used to be somewhat amazed with LAM, FER,,,, i don't even look at them twice anymore. The LFA and LF-LC,,,, just can't stop staring at them. can't wait to see what's in store for those two cars in the near future. that LFA is a beast, i'm convinced after watching the videos XRS posted.
Old 06-09-12, 09:33 PM
ohiois350
Pole Position

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

What is the different in sp8, sp8t and gt cup?what the horse power different between in class?
Old 06-09-12, 10:00 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ohiois350
What is the different in sp8, sp8t and gt cup?what the horse power different between in class?
GT3 = Highly modified class. Nearly all types of modifications allowed. Typically GT3 Cup cars put down 480 HP

SP8T = Turbocharged class with near stock specifications with limitations on how much power they can put down. Limited suspension modifications allowed, but weight needs to be near stock

SP8 = Naturally aspirated class with near stock specifications with a limitation on how much power they can put down. Limited suspension modifications allowed, but the weight must be near stock (Gazoo LFA weighs near 3400 lbs).

All classes allow full racing slick R compound tires.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 06-09-12 at 10:04 PM.
Old 06-10-12, 03:25 AM
07grIS350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Both.

LFA passed both cars in the early tight turns of the GP section of Nurburgring, but as soon as they hit the long straight sections of Nurburgring has long straights, it was gone.
So at the end of the day, I guess the LFA is a much faster car on the Ring with the appropriate tire grip and aero for downforce. The GT-R's tricked AWD system and quick shifting gear box could not compensate for it weight. Then there is the Porsche GT3 CUP with superior power-to-weight ratio not able to keep up as well.

Last edited by 07grIS350; 06-10-12 at 03:42 AM.
Old 06-10-12, 09:23 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

So at the end of the day, I guess the LFA is a much faster car on the Ring with the appropriate tire grip and aero for downforce. The GT-R's tricked AWD system and quick shifting gear box could not compensate for it weight. Then there is the Porsche GT3 CUP with superior power-to-weight ratio not able to keep up as well.
Yeah, considering the GT3 Cup puts down 480 HP and stripped down weight of 2800 lbs makes me feel very doubtful that the LFA "only" makes 500 PS (491 HP) at a weight of 3400 lbs. I don't know how, but Gazoo LFA looks more like a full fledge 560 PS - 571 PS LFA in the video to pull away like that especially with the massive wing on the back.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 06-10-12 at 09:46 AM.
Old 06-12-12, 06:35 PM
ohiois350
Pole Position

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Thanks corolla now I understand all the classes, now I wonder why the gt3 has better corner than gtr, but in the straight line run look like the gtr walk away the gt3, but how in the world that lfa just vanish from those car
Old 06-12-12, 11:08 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The LFA is around 3300lbs, not 3400lbs. It makes around 500ps. Which is around 495hp. The thing that makes the LFA so good is it's aerodynamics. We already know the Nurburgring edition beats other cars with more power and less weight with lesser tires. Only the Viper ACR-X and Gumpert Apollo are it's equal there. They have huge rear wings, the Viper is basically a race car, and the Gumpert weighs under 2500lbs. plus has over 640hp. So you can see how good the LFA is, if it was only a couple hundred pounds less it'd be winning overall.
Old 06-12-12, 11:39 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Fantastic videos, thanks for sharing.

All we can really say from the video and 24h results is that the Gazoo LFA is a faster car around the Nürburgring than the Team Nissan GT-R or the Reinhard Huber 997 Cup Car. It's impossible to really know the effects that the so-called "Balance of Performance" regulations have on the cars. That's why the Corvette commercials are so silly when they talk about their endurance cars having lower hp - what car participating isn't detuned in some way from either the road car or what the car could potentially be?

That said, it seems clear from the video that the LFA was much faster through the corners and was able to totally outbrake both cars. This could be due to driver skill, a superior car, or most likely a combination of the two.

Originally Posted by ohiois350
Thanks corolla now I understand all the classes, now I wonder why the gt3 has better corner than gtr, but in the straight line run look like the gtr walk away the gt3, but how in the world that lfa just vanish from those car
The 997 Cup and GT3 Cup cars are much, much lighter than the GT-R. Like the R34, the R35 might actually be faster around a track without AWD.
Old 06-13-12, 06:58 AM
07grIS350
Lead Lap

I agree with the balanced performance concept as the one of the main reasons why the LFA can do quicker laps.
I believe in this kind of races, the more balanced car can run at quicker pace without putting excessive wear and tear on both the car and the drivers. I am sure all teams have calculated the optimal numbers of planned pit stops for their cars. Therefore the LFA can just simply dominated these other cars due to its superior design.

Originally Posted by gengar
Fantastic videos, thanks for sharing.

All we can really say from the video and 24h results is that the Gazoo LFA is a faster car around the Nürburgring than the Team Nissan GT-R or the Reinhard Huber 997 Cup Car. It's impossible to really know the effects that the so-called "Balance of Performance" regulations have on the cars. That's why the Corvette commercials are so silly when they talk about their endurance cars having lower hp - what car participating isn't detuned in some way from either the road car or what the car could potentially be?

That said, it seems clear from the video that the LFA was much faster through the corners and was able to totally outbrake both cars. This could be due to driver skill, a superior car, or most likely a combination of the two.

The 997 Cup and GT3 Cup cars are much, much lighter than the GT-R. Like the R34, the R35 might actually be faster around a track without AWD.
Old 06-13-12, 07:34 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

It is more like people are surprised at how Gazoo LFA simply vanished into the horizon on the high speed straights leaving GT3 and GTR like they were on a standstill.

Since the GT3 CUP is highly modified and weighs only 2800 LBS and supposedly puts out only 10 HP less than the Gazoo LFA with Gazoo LFA weigh several hundred pounds more. Last year the GT3 with same 480 HP could keep up with the LFA, but this year it simply was of no match.

The only plausible explanation is that the Gazoo LFA is secretly packing a lot more power (or power is the same, but gearing is a lot more aggressive using a shorter final drive) and with racing slicks, it is putting it down very effectively.

One thing that definitely changed in Gazoo LFA this year was the rev limiter is set this year to 9500 rpm as opposed to last year where it was restricted to only 7500 rpm.

I agree with the balanced performance concept as the one of the main reasons why the LFA can do quicker laps.
I believe in this kind of races, the more balanced car can run at quicker pace without putting excessive wear and tear on both the car and the drivers. I am sure all teams have calculated the optimal numbers of planned pit stops for their cars. Therefore the LFA can just simply dominated these other cars due to its superior design.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 06-13-12 at 07:57 AM.

Quick Reply: Gazoo LFA racing car qualifying lap (Bonus clip: Gazoo LFA vs SP8 GTR vs GT3 Cup)