LFA Model (2012)

Lexus LFA 2012 24-hours Nurburgring Endurance race thread

Old 05-21-12, 04:35 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Falken is just a sponsor, like Gran Turismo on every car.
Old 05-21-12, 05:32 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gengar
SP is not a stock class; all the SP racers are barebones (like the 911 Cup). V class is closer to stock. SP1-8 are organized based on displacement. The unfortunately-named SP9 and SP10 (as these have nothing to do with displacement in the way SP1-8 do) are recently renamed classes, with SP9 being GT3 and SP10 being GT4, so there is a huge jump from SP8 to these classes. (I also don't know why they made GT3 -> SP9 and GT4 -> SP10 instead of the other way around, since GT4 is below GT3.)

I think it is fair to group together all the non-GT3 SP cars, and say that the 911 GT3 KR was #1 and the LFA #2.

That said, it is significant. The GT3 R is the hybrid that has several endurance wins and is in a completely different class compared to the Gazoo LFA, and the KR is a heavily modified 911 Cup Car by Kremer Racing, a team with decades of endurance experience. I think that team has a couple 24h wins in the 70s and 80s. To be up there with the 911s, which by far have the most total Nürburgring endurance exposure, is an accomplishment. The Gazoo LFA finished on the same lap, so maybe without the damage repair stop, the LFA is #1 in non-GT3 classes (of course, in endurance racing there is no justification to say "if").

Unsurprisingly the Manthey Porsche may have been one more 911 that should have been in front. I read reports that there were some attempted timing shenanigans that led to a crash on the final lap resulting in no qualification, but no Manthey cars show up in the "not qualified" section of the results.
Thanks for the great insights. But it baffles me as to why even to this date the LFA is entered in the mere SP8 class and not the top-rung GT3 class. The so-called "development through racing" was long done, and no I don't believe this is for development of a "LFA II" in disguise--it's still pretty much the same LFA race car as last year's. What they should've aimed for this year, and even last year, is the real overall win. After all, it doesn't matter if the race car shares nothing with the production car but the name and some body panels--nobody cares. What matters is the huge marketing potentials it would bring by being able to claim the overall win. Right now it looks as if the LFA had been soundly beaten by the R8, the SLS, the hordes of 911 GT3 and so on in every 24-hour Nurburgring endurance race so far, when in reality they were simply modified to different class requirements. It would be quite sad if Akio has no higher ambition than a "class win" for the LFA, a car that should be more than capable of hanging around with the best of the "front runners" in production forms.
Old 05-21-12, 08:41 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Check out how the Gazoo LFA dusting the Porsche GT3 Cup car and the Nissan GTR in the corners and in the straight. It was gone.

Does anyone else also have serious doubts about that LFA making only 470 HP that the SP8 class restricts it

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 05-21-12 at 08:47 PM.
Old 05-21-12, 08:50 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

They said a maximum of 500PS in their specs. That's around 490hp, not 470. It doesn't really matter. They're still heavier than the Porsche's and the GTRs are heavier still. The Porsche cup cars are probably a lot lighter, but aren't as powerful.
Old 05-21-12, 09:01 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TF109B
They said a maximum of 500PS in their specs. That's around 490hp, not 470. It doesn't really matter. They're still heavier than the Porsche's and the GTRs are heavier still. The Porsche cup cars are probably a lot lighter, but aren't as powerful.
GT3 cup cars are rated at 480 PS, which is almost as powerful as the Gazoo LFA, but are a lot lighter. If you actually check the previous year footage of the GT3 Cup vs Gazoo LFA, you will see the LFA was getting killed on the straights.

Now suddenly, it was completely reversed where the Gazoo LFA dusted the GT3 Cup car without much fight..

I completely understand Lexus cannot be doing sneaky stuff like putting more than what the class allows. I just find it strange how it dominated the GT3 Cup car in this video

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 05-21-12 at 09:06 PM.
Old 05-21-12, 09:05 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

That doesn't make much sense, they're hardly faster than last year (by 5 seconds maybe). I think you may be mistaking cup cars with GT3 cars. The GT3R is their SP9 class/GT3 car. The 911GT3 Cup car is just their basic club racer. That's why this video you showed they are racing amongst a GTR club racer.
Old 05-21-12, 09:10 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Here's a picture to show they still run bridgestone tires, you can see the branding on the front. Like I was saying before, Falken are just a sponsor for the event, like Gran Turismo is on every car, so is Falken-

Old 05-21-12, 09:35 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

That doesn't make much sense, they're hardly faster than last year (by 5 seconds maybe). I think you may be mistaking cup cars with GT3 cars. The GT3R is their SP9 class/GT3 car. The 911GT3 Cup car is just their basic club racer. That's why this video you showed they are racing amongst a GTR club racer.
I am not sure. This is the video I was talking about from 2011. Is it the GT3 Cup car or the GT3 R?? I think you mean the hybrid GT3 R. Right?

Old 05-22-12, 12:50 AM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by ydooby
Thanks for the great insights. But it baffles me as to why even to this date the LFA is entered in the mere SP8 class and not the top-rung GT3 class.
GT3 is a whole different ballgame. Cars in GT3 need to be approved by FIA and that is a lengthy process because of all the equality balancing that FIA attempts in the GT3 class. Why would Lexus bother with GT3 even if they planned on racing in the European GT3 series?

I think what you want is for Gazoo to run the LFA in GT1. That would be nice, but note GT1 is not allowed in the Nürburgring 24h. Unfortunately GT1 probably won't happen since the homologation period is almost over.
Old 05-22-12, 01:56 AM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

GT1 is gone, currently FIA GT1 use GT3 cars! They plan for upgrades in the next years but it's a shadow of what the cars once were. SuperGT you will see an LFA next year surely, as the SC430 is out of production. Whether they use the LFA in any other race series is yet to be seen. But I can't think they'll use the SC430 for another year in SuperGT.

And Rolla, the GT3 R is the name of the 2012 Porsche GT3 cars, not the hybrid. That hasn't raced this year, it looks like they're concentrating on the 918 to use the hybrid power. The GTE car, or the LeMans style GT car is the GT3 RSR. The cup cars are used in series like Grand Am Rolex series, or Pirelli world Challenge. And also as GTC cars in ALMS races. The cars in the Video you just posted are GT3 Cup cars. I can't explain why they are as fast as the LFA there, and one was racing a GTR this year.

Last edited by TF109B; 05-22-12 at 02:02 AM.
Old 05-22-12, 06:47 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

GT1 is gone, currently FIA GT1 use GT3 cars! They plan for upgrades in the next years but it's a shadow of what the cars once were. SuperGT you will see an LFA next year surely, as the SC430 is out of production. Whether they use the LFA in any other race series is yet to be seen. But I can't think they'll use the SC430 for another year in SuperGT.

You've been saying that the last 2 years. Fact is, Lexus/Toyota has no reason to race the LFA in Super GT, and likely wont. The Supra went on for quite a few years after production ended... 4 or so If I recall, and the same will probably happen with the SC430. It's replacement will likely be whatever car the LF-LC turns out to be.

I long to see the LFA in GT1. Vitafone (the company that raced the MC-12 that was rumored to be switching to the LFA) doesn't compete there anymore for now. Saddens me that what was probably an already developed GTE car sits in the halls of Cologne doing diddly squat.
Old 05-22-12, 09:12 AM
07grIS350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Check out how the Gazoo LFA dusting the Porsche GT3 Cup car and the Nissan GTR in the corners and in the straight. It was gone.

Does anyone else also have serious doubts about that LFA making only 470 HP that the SP8 class restricts it
Nice video of LFA blowing by slower cars.... thanks for posting it.
Old 05-22-12, 11:37 AM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

I didn't know that ADAC is starting to report the Cup Car as the GT3 R - I made that mistake too thinking it was the hybrid. I guess that the complete name was in fact "GT3 R Hybrid", but no one usually calls the GT3 R anything but the Cup Car. It's too bad they aren't racing the Hybrid anymore.

Last edited by gengar; 05-22-12 at 12:01 PM.
Old 05-22-12, 12:45 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MR_F1
You've been saying that the last 2 years. Fact is, Lexus/Toyota has no reason to race the LFA in Super GT, and likely wont. The Supra went on for quite a few years after production ended... 4 or so If I recall, and the same will probably happen with the SC430. It's replacement will likely be whatever car the LF-LC turns out to be.

I long to see the LFA in GT1. Vitafone (the company that raced the MC-12 that was rumored to be switching to the LFA) doesn't compete there anymore for now. Saddens me that what was probably an already developed GTE car sits in the halls of Cologne doing diddly squat.
I haven't said that for two years, I've only been here for two years, and the LFA wasn't even released until last year! You need to go fact check before you make claims like that. I was expecting it for this year, but it didn't turn out to be. But I do expect it to replace the SC430 in GT500. The LF-LC isn't in production and hasn't even been approved yet, so there's no reason for it to be expected in SGT. Besides, there isn't a rule allowing hybrid cars in GT500 (yet). And like I said before, GT1 doesn't exist as it had in the previous years. So there's probably a less chance of seeing it in that series as it's using cars that are GT3's. Lexus/Toyota won't spend money on making a GT3 LFA when they didn't even put forward a GTE version to be raced. Right now their LMP1 project is the main focus in Cologne. If the LFA goes racing anywhere besides the Nurburgring, it will probably be in Japan- which SGT is the only place it fits.

Gengar, I may have confused you. The GT3 Cup cars are basically the club racers you can buy on the street. The GT3R is the GT3 class (SP9) racer. The GT3RSR is the GTE car used in the FIA WEC and ALMS.

Last edited by TF109B; 05-22-12 at 12:51 PM.
Old 05-24-12, 05:38 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

^You'll likely not see the LFA in Super GT less it's a pace car.

GT1 "doesn't" exist because there aren't any teams spending the money to race GT1/2 cars. I didn't claim it would be there, I said I'd love if it was.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lexus LFA 2012 24-hours Nurburgring Endurance race thread