Fresh Green LFA has landed

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-12, 04:30 AM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

Rolla
I expect to get there at some point
For now I am happy to let my coin box fill (great run up for Apple and Under Armour stock)
I also am looking forward to the free market pricing to after the cars pass the 2 year lease mumbo jumbo
Old 03-21-12, 08:40 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350
Rolla
For now I am happy to let my coin box fill (great run up for Apple and Under Armour stock)
I also am looking forward to the free market pricing to after the cars pass the 2 year lease mumbo jumbo
i don't think that lease deal is still on anyway?
Old 03-21-12, 10:52 AM
07grIS350
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rolla
Yep, with the way LFAs accumulating on AutoTrader, you might be able to get some discount at some point in the future., unless Lexus does something to turn it around.
Good luck
Old 03-21-12, 12:54 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Rominl,

I do not believe the lease hoo haa went away. Lexus just added a buy now option.

It would be great if we had the only aligned car collections of a Vibe, an IS and an LFA.
Are you ready to disclose your configuration yet?
I believe the price game will established by the "in crowd" types moving out of LFAs into the latest Ferraris, Lambos and the new winner on the block McLarens.
There will also be general bail outs (I spent more than I can afford on this, I thought of this as an investment, my circumstances have changed and I need out).
I also believe that most LFA owners are a lot older than you might expect and will be slipping into velcro sneakers instead of alcantara seats in the next few years.
The cars currently parked at dealerships will either sit to create show room appeal or be traded to dealerships with the right climate and customer base (CA, Tx, FL).
Old 03-21-12, 01:21 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Rominl,

I do not believe the lease hoo haa went away. Lexus just added a buy now option.

It would be great if we had the only aligned car collections of a Vibe, an IS and an LFA.
I believe the price game will established by the "in crowd" types moving out of LFAs into the latest Ferraris, Lambos and the new winner on the block McLarens.
There will also be general bail outs (I spent more than I can afford on this, I thought of this as an investment, my circumstances have changed and I need out).
I also believe that most LFA owners are a lot older than you might expect and will be slipping into velcro sneakers instead of alcantara seats in the next few years.
The cars currently parked at dealerships will either sit to create show room appeal or be traded to dealerships with the right climate and customer base (CA, Tx, FL).
but how do we explain say the guy who bought the lfa from lexus and then traded in to ferrari dealership? i would think with the buy now option, the whole lease thing doesn't really hold anymore
Old 03-21-12, 01:42 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

I would put him in the I can't afford the car category.

Ex. He purchased the car outright by hocking xyz assets to get the $350-$375 on top of his deposit to buy and register the car. He then sold it to the Ferrari shop at a loss (say $30K) and then pays off his creditors. Painful yet possible.
Old 03-21-12, 02:58 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

I would put him in the I can't afford the car category.

Ex. He purchased the car outright by hocking xyz assets to get the $350-$375 on top of his deposit to buy and register the car. He then sold it to the Ferrari shop at a loss (say $30K) and then pays off his creditors. Painful yet possible.
The person (real one) who bought an LFA and straight after two days and traded it in for a Ferrari with less than 400 miles on it did not sell the LFA at a loss.

He bought the LFA because Lexus was offering him trade-in value of his Maclaren SLR well above what he was getting anywhere else so he bought the LFA merely to get rid of his Maclaren SLR and then went straight to the Ferrari dealership to trade it in for a Ferrari and did not lose even a penny plus he got the trade-in value for his Maclaren SLR that no one else was prepared to offer him.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 03-21-12 at 03:01 PM.
Old 03-21-12, 03:11 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Thanks 07
I lost the context of the SLR in the question
How do we know the guy got full price on the LFA trade at the Ferrari shop?
Old 03-21-12, 05:24 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

i am with s2000, if anything we can say he didn't lose as much (considering the whole deal) overall, but i don't see anywhere it says he didn't lose anything on the lfa. if anything, i can imagine loss on the sales tax already
Old 03-21-12, 05:57 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks 07
I lost the context of the SLR in the question
How do we know the guy got full price on the LFA trade at the Ferrari shop?
It is pure common sense.

He traded in his SLR Maclaren at the Lexus dealership merely because they offered a much higher appraisal price.

He in turn took the LFA and went straight to the Ferrari dealership and dumped the LFA for a new Ferrari. Simply put, it would defeat the purpose of him trading in his Maclaren SLR for a better trade-in value, if he knew he would not get a good trade-in value at the Ferrari dealership.

Apparently, the black LFA is now back at Sewell Lexus. The only good thing Lexus can do in the US market is to pull back inventory and drop it down to half of around 80 units total.

The only thing that can be faulted is either marketing or Lexus' refusal to indulge in the numbers game (which is proven to be very important for bragging rights for people dishing out that much money).

On the other hand, no other country has such issue. There are 165 total LFAs going to Japan and there is no problem of LFAs not getting sold.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 03-21-12 at 06:07 PM.
Old 03-21-12, 06:03 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
It is pure common sense.

He traded in his SLR Maclaren at the Lexus deadlership merely because they offered a much higher appraisal price.

He in turn took the LFA and went straight to the Ferrari dealership and dumped the LFA for a new Ferrari. Simply put, it would defeat the purpose of him trading in his Maclaren SLR for a better trade-in value, if he knew he would not get a good trade-in value at the Ferrari dealership.

Apparently, the black LFA is now back at Sewell Lexus.
no i don't agree. again it's overall deal.

here's an example.

if the ferrari offers him 180k for the slr, but lexus offers him 250k for the slr.

then he pays say 410k (after tax) on the lfa, and the ferrari dealership offers 350k for the lfa. this is a LOSS on the lfa

if you do the math, he loses 10k "less" by doing what he did. it's very simple math. the dealership sales already said dealership offered way too much money for the slr, that could be enough to offset loss the guy sees from selling the lfa

it's an example of course, but it's enough to show your assumption doesn't hold
Old 03-21-12, 06:14 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
no i don't agree. again it's overall deal.

here's an example.

if the ferrari offers him 180k for the slr, but lexus offers him 250k for the slr.

then he pays say 410k (after tax) on the lfa, and the ferrari dealership offers 350k for the lfa. this is a LOSS on the lfa

if you do the math, he loses 10k "less" by doing what he did. it's very simple math. the dealership sales already said dealership offered way too much money for the slr, that could be enough to offset loss the guy sees from selling the lfa

it's an example of course, but it's enough to show your assumption doesn't hold
Ofcourse, you made a lot of assumptions. The biggest thing I see that is flawed is the difference in the appraisal value of the SLR. You are putting way too much difference in how much more Lexus was willing to offer for the Maclaren SLR over what the next best appraisal value was.

I would be very generous and say, a maximum appraisal difference could be $25,000 - $30,000 simply because Lexus cannot go too far out from what the black book wholesale market value of the car is. If the difference in the appraisal Lexus was willing to offer above was not that astronomical like you stated then there is no way he could have afforded a substantial loss on the LFA.

Ofcourse, I know what the actual appraisal value was of the SLR, but I was forbidden by the poster to mention it afterwards, but I can tell you it was close to $300,000.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 03-21-12 at 06:22 PM.
Old 03-21-12, 10:30 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Ofcourse, you made a lot of assumptions. The biggest thing I see that is flawed is the difference in the appraisal value of the SLR. You are putting way too much difference in how much more Lexus was willing to offer for the Maclaren SLR over what the next best appraisal value was.

I would be very generous and say, a maximum appraisal difference could be $25,000 - $30,000 simply because Lexus cannot go too far out from what the black book wholesale market value of the car is. If the difference in the appraisal Lexus was willing to offer above was not that astronomical like you stated then there is no way he could have afforded a substantial loss on the LFA.

Ofcourse, I know what the actual appraisal value was of the SLR, but I was forbidden by the poster to mention it afterwards, but I can tell you it was close to $300,000.
let's just say you made about the same amount of assumption, nothing short of that. you don't need to hint what you know, i know all the history as well just that i am not posting them. you aren't the only one who knows "secret", keep in mind i was the one who did all the clean up. i stated clearly it's an "example"

bottom line is there is no stupid reason a ferrari dealership would rather pay the same price on the lfa with a used car title when the same damn car is still widely available out there at the same price with new titles.

there is simply no common sense in your post, unless you can show actual proof, which you can't.
Old 03-22-12, 04:41 AM
07grIS350
Lead Lap

Rominl,

I am down to only one car for now, a new-to-me RX450h. I am looking at the new GS450h pictures and it is growing on me a lot.
I believe if you could find the bail outs, you could probably get some easy discount there considering the lost deposit.
In the short term, the LFA market in the US looks like a real stinker with all these brand new cars ended up on for sales on the internet. It easily negates the rarity aspect of the car I really hope Lexus does something soon.

Last edited by 07grIS350; 03-22-12 at 04:44 AM.
Old 03-22-12, 05:25 AM
jpvarghese
Lexus Test Driver

No dealer is stupid enough to take in a car they can't sell for more than what they bought it for. Literally the only benefit for getting into the LFA and subsequently trading it in for the Ferrari is the tax savings and out-of-pocket commitment at the time of the sale.

Quick Reply: Fresh Green LFA has landed