LFA Model (2012)

New NSX confirmed hope it brings LFA a good fight

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-11, 04:20 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Thanks for the link great read, NSXPrime rocks!

Acura's avg transaction price is the lowest of luxury brands, around 36k...they have rarely had success over the 40k mark outside the MDX and we all know any SUV sells.

So they are shooting for 145k? Then since there is no Acura anywhere but here (where it struggles), China (where is non-existent) and Zamunda, then either it will have to be a Honda elsewhere or they can't sell it anywhere else.

I pray its outstanding, Acura/Honda needs this BADLY.

JGTC doesn't matter since Honda technically was not supposed to race the HSV thing since it wasn't a production car. They got permission to run it. They might just get another excuse again.
it's really a stretch imho to put acura and luxury together anyway to begin with. sorry but that's how i feel. it's definitely more upscale from toyota and honda, but i even think infiniti is better in terms of prestige and luxury

definitely need something good from honda, way overdue. if the car is really good, maybe 150k is justifiable and they might find some buyers. but if it's v6 hybrid i think that's going to be tough
Old 12-14-11, 12:52 PM
Brylek
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
it's really a stretch imho to put acura and luxury together anyway to begin with. sorry but that's how i feel. it's definitely more upscale from toyota and honda, but i even think infiniti is better in terms of prestige and luxury
I don't agree with you here. The relationship between Honda and Acura is exactly the same as Toyota to Lexus. The NSX was sold as Acura in the US and Canada but everywhere else it was the Honda NSX ( just like our 2001-2005 Lexus is300 is Toyota Altezza in Japan).

definitely need something good from honda, way overdue.
The Japanese car makers like Toyota or Honda have one thing in common, they don't make sports cars to make living off of them - they make them to show the world that they can if they only want to. They almost do it for fun, this is also why Honda put the NSX project on hold in December 2008, when the economy got bad there was no room for fun. Please remember that Toyota had a 9 year brake (Supra's last year of production was 2002 and LFA's first year of production was 2011 or 2012 - I don't know for sure) where if Honda/Acura releases the NSX's successor in 2013 it will only be a 8 year brake (NSX's last year of production was 2005).

if the car is really good, maybe 150k is justifiable and they might find some buyers. but if it's v6 hybrid i think that's going to be tough
When the LFA was comming out everyone was talking about how nobody is going to pay $375 for a Lexus, I don't think Honda will have big problems selling their cars at $150k. The engine should be a V6 plus electric motors, please remember that Honda doesn't use V8 cars.

Last edited by Brylek; 12-14-11 at 12:57 PM.
Old 12-14-11, 01:08 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Brylek
The engine should be a V6 plus electric motors, please remember that Honda doesn't use V8 cars.
Actually they do have a sweet sounding V8 in the championship winning HSV-010. I'm disappointed that they're sticking to the whole green ideology and not putting a road-legal version of that engine into production. The Super GT organizers should've given Honda at most three years to comply with the homologation rule IMHO.

Last edited by ydooby; 12-14-11 at 01:13 PM.
Old 12-14-11, 01:22 PM
Brylek
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ydooby
Actually they do have a sweet sounding V8 in the championship winning HSV-010. I'm disappointed that they're sticking to the whole green ideology and not putting a road-legal version of that engine into production. The Super GT organizers should've given Honda at most three years to comply with the homologation rule IMHO.

"The engine should be a V6 plus electric motors, please remember that Honda doesn't use V8 for production cars"

Fixed .
Old 12-14-11, 11:51 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

I don't agree with you here. The relationship between Honda and Acura is exactly the same as Toyota to Lexus. The NSX was sold as Acura in the US and Canada but everywhere else it was the Honda NSX ( just like our 2001-2005 Lexus is300 is Toyota Altezza in Japan).

The Japanese car makers like Toyota or Honda have one thing in common, they don't make sports cars to make living off of them - they make them to show the world that they can if they only want to. They almost do it for fun, this is also why Honda put the NSX project on hold in December 2008, when the economy got bad there was no room for fun. Please remember that Toyota had a 9 year brake (Supra's last year of production was 2002 and LFA's first year of production was 2011 or 2012 - I don't know for sure) where if Honda/Acura releases the NSX's successor in 2013 it will only be a 8 year brake (NSX's last year of production was 2005).

When the LFA was comming out everyone was talking about how nobody is going to pay $375 for a Lexus, I don't think Honda will have big problems selling their cars at $150k. The engine should be a V6 plus electric motors, please remember that Honda doesn't use V8 cars.
i am very well aware that acura is a suit up honda. but does that automatically make it a true luxury car? i don't think so. like i said it's nicer, but looking at the details i am not sure if i can find myself putting acura together with infiniti, lexus, audi, bmw, and mb

i would probably agree with you more if honda didn't keep on talking about "new" "next" nsx and this and that a few times every year. like toyota, they never talked about supra or replacement after the program ended. fine with me (as much as i don't like it). but when you make too much noise about something while not able to deliver, it has a negative kind of effect to enthusiasts.

well, a lot of people are still not able to justify 400k for the lfa still, fyi. but that aside, i don't know, it's just my opinion. v6 hybrid just doesn't sound super attractive. but like i said, maybe the whole package will warrant it
Old 12-15-11, 12:23 AM
LexFather

I don't agree with you here. The relationship between Honda and Acura is exactly the same as Toyota to Lexus. The NSX was sold as Acura in the US and Canada but everywhere else it was the Honda NSX ( just like our 2001-2005 Lexus is300 is Toyota Altezza in Japan)..
Not true. The relationship is vastly different and shows in the success and products of the two brands. Honda/Acura is much more closely tied internally and they had to beg for different styling which turned out to be a disaster. The brands are nearly one and the same after 25 years. Acura N.A has asked for more separation but it hasn't happened. With the ILX being Civic based and new RDX being CR-V based, they are going backwards in this regard.

Lexus continues to separate from Toyota with the latest news being a new hierarchy eliminating several layers with Aiko Toyoda directly involved. Lexus exists in Japan and worldwide, Acura is nearly all American.

Not sure why you mention the old IS 300 and Lexus still separated it. The IS 200 and IS 300 got 6 cylinder engines, the Altezza had a 4 cylinder. The new IS is only a IS worldwide. Acura still rebadges the Legend the RL, the Euro Accord the TSX in 2012.

Uhh, yes they do. Don't confuse halo models with regular cars. Cars like the new FT86, older Supra, ITR, etc were made to be sporty and make money. They simply lost the plot in the 2000s with Toyota waking up and Honda still in reverse.

Honda put the NSX project on hold b/c they like talking out their ***, teasing fanbois with no results. They have no *****. They blamed everything but themselves. Guess what the economy went bad for EVERYONE and EVERYONE ELSE pushed forward while Honda blames the economy. Since the crash, plenty of new luxury cars and exotics have debuted. Lets not act like the world stopped spinning.

The Supra and LFA have no relation so that point makes no sense.
IWhen the LFA was comming out everyone was talking about how nobody is going to pay $375 for a Lexus, I don't think Honda will have big problems selling their cars at $150k. The engine should be a V6 plus electric motors, please remember that Honda doesn't use V8 cars.
Lexus and Acura are on completely different levels. People pay the money for an expensive Lexus. People simply do not pay for expensive Acura's. It was just revealed 90% of Acuras are sold under MSRP.
Old 12-15-11, 11:04 AM
Brylek
Driver School Candidate

I understand what you two are saying here and all I can say is that everyone likes something different. Some guys over at NSX Prime are even saying that Hyundai is the new Honda and they could be right. Honda is on the stock market just like any other big company that is purely profit driven, it will have it's ups and downs - Toyota/ Lexus is up now but let's not forget that over the years these situations always look like sinus/cosinus function.

I can go on for pages about what keeps me a Honda guy and you can probably do the same with defending Toyota. I always say that Honda is my #1 favorite but Toyota/Lexus is #2 while I will never own a Nissan. I can't really explain why but it doesn't does not feel good for me. I don't care for the car market as much as I used to. Every year we are only going to get older and these things will matter less and less. At the end of the day it's all about marketing and sales, one thing I learned about in life is not to fall in love with a brand - it will always disappoint you at some point.

What I don't like about being a carguy is that if somebody asks me what are my hobbies I don't feel very special. I always tell them about how much I like collecting cellphones, taking photos and abviously cars. Majority of guys in their early/late 20's will like cars, why? Nobody knows, it's a certain stereotype that most of us fall into. Everyone likes cars and they all like the onces they can't afford. I wish I could tell that I like climbing mountains and I am now preparing myself to do mount everest nest year or I ride bicycles like no other and my name is Denny Macaskill . What saves me is that the car I have is very unique. Many times when I'm talking to older guys at the track they usually like what I have and they also tell me that I have good taste since I don't choose an M3 just like everyone else would.
Old 12-15-11, 12:56 PM
LexFather

I understand what you two are saying here and all I can say is that everyone likes something different. Some guys over at NSX Prime are even saying that Hyundai is the new Honda and they could be right. Honda is on the stock market just like any other big company that is purely profit driven, it will have it's ups and downs - Toyota/ Lexus is up now but let's not forget that over the years these situations always look like sinus/cosinus function.

I can go on for pages about what keeps me a Honda guy and you can probably do the same with defending Toyota. I always say that Honda is my #1 favorite but Toyota/Lexus is #2 while I will never own a Nissan. I can't really explain why but it doesn't does not feel good for me. I don't care for the car market as much as I used to. Every year we are only going to get older and these things will matter less and less. At the end of the day it's all about marketing and sales, one thing I learned about in life is not to fall in love with a brand - it will always disappoint you at some point.

What I don't like about being a carguy is that if somebody asks me what are my hobbies I don't feel very special. I always tell them about how much I like collecting cellphones, taking photos and abviously cars. Majority of guys in their early/late 20's will like cars, why? Nobody knows, it's a certain stereotype that most of us fall into. Everyone likes cars and they all like the onces they can't afford. I wish I could tell that I like climbing mountains and I am now preparing myself to do mount everest nest year or I ride bicycles like no other and my name is Denny Macaskill . What saves me is that the car I have is very unique. Many times when I'm talking to older guys at the track they usually like what I have and they also tell me that I have good taste since I don't choose an M3 just like everyone else would.
There is nothing wrong at all loving a particular brand and being passionate about it. We all might love cars and we all have our favorites.

We all for example pray the next NSX kicks a lot of *** and becomes another superb NSX like the first one. Sadly Honda has been on such a bad roll the last decade odds are stacked against them and they have tons to prove.

I think I can speak for this forum when I say most of us here ADORE the NSX, S2000, ITR, Legend GS etc....In regards to the NSX a few people here own it and as far as I am concerned its one of the greatest cars EVER MADE. It was adored by Murray, had input from Senna and went against all odds against the Euro establishment. Even later on the NSX-R held its own and won EVO car of the year.

To me like the S2000, they should have just kept it and improved it. I mean a lightweight, simple, V-6 sports car is what the world needs. Kind of like how Toyota/Subie figured out with the FT86/BRZ/FRS. There is a market for cars that are against the bigger everything, more hp, more everything philosophy plaguing cars.

Old 12-15-11, 10:12 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

These threads always turn into a Honda Acura isn't as good as Toyota Lexus. Who cares about all that? The new NSX if it's front engined would probably be based off the HSV- which was based off the new NSX! Weird, but it's all a circle. The V8 used in the HSV in SuperGT (its not JGTC anymore) is basically a race engine used by all the teams. Every GT500 team uses 3.4 liter V8's. Toyota Nissan and Honda use these engines in variation on their LeMans Prototypes. Toyota and Honda use them in Formula Nippon. If it's mid engined, it'll be close to the car spied in the new Iron Man movie. That's what been said. Either way I look forward to this. A road going HSV would be awesome. A mid engined NSX successor would be awesome as well.
Old 12-15-11, 10:39 PM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by TF109B
These threads always turn into a Honda Acura isn't as good as Toyota Lexus. Who cares about all that?
As childish as it sounds, Acura started it-look at the title

honda needs to shut us all up by showing us something real soon
Old 12-15-11, 11:19 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
In regards to the NSX a few people here own it and as far as I am concerned its one of the greatest cars EVER MADE. It was adored by Murray, had input from Senna and went against all odds against the Euro establishment. Even later on the NSX-R held its own and won EVO car of the year.

The problem is, who do they have now? Senna is no longer with us, Murray probably doesn't care, Shigeru Uehara (S2000/NSX mastermind) retired, and Honda corporate forgot all about Soichiro's passion.

They've pushed back this NSX project for years. The end result better show something for it.
Old 12-16-11, 09:54 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
The problem is, who do they have now? Senna is no longer with us, Murray probably doesn't care, Shigeru Uehara (S2000/NSX mastermind) retired, and Honda corporate forgot all about Soichiro's passion.

They've pushed back this NSX project for years. The end result better show something for it.
They lost their mojo...but that shouldn't stop them with all the hertiage they have. I believe Honda is going through the growing pains Toyota faced after the demise of the MKIV Supra...everything there after fizzled and became bland like an appliance. Sadly Honda is dragging through this longer than we want.
Old 01-09-12, 02:18 PM
NorCalIS
Lexus Test Driver

Bringing the debate back hahaha, just read this today on car and driver... Hybrid and AWD... Really?
Old 01-10-12, 01:46 PM
NorCalIS
Lexus Test Driver

Here's another article on it... Seems they aren't yanking chains anymore. New NSX Revealed.
Old 01-24-12, 03:11 PM
WadeLovell
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They really haven't had a great sport car design since my 1974 CVCC. It came with huge black racing stripes, just like a real car.