Car magazine: Lexus LFA Tokyo Edition Planned

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-11, 07:22 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts
Default Car magazine: Lexus LFA Tokyo Edition Planned

http://wot.motortrend.com/we-hear-le...ce-118643.html

Need another way to make your Lexus LFA more exclusive, despite the fact that only 500 examples will be built? Fret not – rumor has it yet another special-edition variant will debut at this year’s Tokyo Motor Show in November.

While the last special-edition LFA – the Nurburgring Edition – was designed more for go than for show, this new take – which Car Magazine calls the “Tokyo Edition” – may focus on flash instead of dash. The British magazine claims the specialized LFA will receive both an unpainted carbon fiber roof and a rear wing finished in a similar fashion. Unlike the Nurburgring’s fixed rear wing, Car suggests the Tokyo car could resemble the hydraulically adjustable spoiler used on stock LFAs.

Beneath these visual tweaks, the Tokyo LFA will likely resemble any other LFA. A 552-hp V-10 will remain mated to a six-speed automated manual transmission, allowing the car to sprint from 0-60 mph in 3.6 seconds, and ultimately reach a top speed of 202 mph.

How much will this extra dash of carbon fiber cost buyers? Car says the Tokyo package should add an extra $54,750 to the base price of an LFA. That sounds like a significant amount, until you consider the base price of an LFA is still close to $375,000. In context, fifty-five grand seems like a drop in the bucket.

Looking for sports car thrills and a Lexus badge, but don’t have the scratch for an LFA Tokyo? Car also says that Lexus is working on two other sporty projects. One will be front-wheel drive (which points to a hopped-up CT200h), and the other could be a rear-wheel drive successor to the famed Supra coupe, which we could see as early as 2014.

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Secret-...upra-underway/

Lexus will launch an LFA Tokyo Motor Show Edition at this autumn's 2011 Japanese show, CAR has discovered - and we can expect a brace of additional new Toyota/Lexus performance cars in the coming years, including a likely Supra replacement.

The Lexus LFA Tokyo edition will bring an M3-esque exposed carbon roof and (still hydraulically adjustable) carbon rear spoiler. Presumably this just means the weave is exposed, as the LFA is already made from carbonfibre.

CAR understands the LFA Tokyo will cost about €40k more than a 'regular' Lexus LFA.

What else is planned for the Lexus LFA?

A spider roadster was planned and its carbonfibre construction meant the open-top LFA was nearly as rigid as the coupe. But our sources in Japan have confirmed the roadster LFA has been canned owing to the economic uncertainty in markets around the world.

And what's this about new performance cars from Toyota/Lexus?

Toyota is working on two other performance cars separate from the FT-86 and LFA projects.

Information is sketchy at this point, but CAR understands one is a front-wheel drive car (possibly a go-faster CT200h) and one is a potential successor to the Supra.

Officially, a Supra replacement is denied. But we hear a skunkworks, unofficial project is underway to replace the RWD coupe and some insiders predict a 2014 launch.

It also sounds like future fast Toyota/Lexus models will switch from high-revving naturally aspirated engines - as in the LFA, ISF and FT-86 - to smaller, turbocharged engines. Interesting times at Toyota, as it attempts to play catch-up after a decade away from the performance heartland.

http://wot.motortrend.com/files/2011...-quarter-1.jpg

Last edited by rominl; 09-21-11 at 12:06 PM.
Old 09-19-11, 10:01 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This car was already shown at the revealing of the LFA @TMS in 2010. All that was different were an unpainted roof and wing. It's already been discussed that these are options by some here. So why make a special edition of the LFA and call it the Tokyo Edition if it's nothing special and can be ordered this way? I hope there's more to it than that, if this story even holds any weight.

EDIT: Found pictures of said car from the TMS in 2010-

http://www.egmcartech.com/wp-content...images_002.jpg

http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs50/f/20..._by_kookro.jpg

Last edited by rominl; 09-21-11 at 12:05 PM.
Old 09-19-11, 10:58 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

i wonder if this is going to be among the 500 cars, or extra?
Old 09-19-11, 11:02 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

I read it will be offered in the same 500 LFAs. Not additional to those.

I wish they can create a GT2 version of the LFA instead of this cosmetic stuff.
Old 09-19-11, 11:44 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

They already have a GTE mule of the LFA. This has been discussed along with the TMG LS. I don't believe this story.
If it's true, there's more to it, Lexus won't charge 50K extra for an unpainted roof and wing. lol
Old 09-20-11, 07:05 AM
jpvarghese
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Introductions of new and special models lead me to believe that sales weren't as good as we were told. Maybe I'm wrong.
Old 09-20-11, 08:30 AM
LexFather

Again its amazing Lexus sold 1 $375,000 car, let alone hundreds of them. What other Asian luxury brand or any other Asian brand could pull this off? None. If they have to make a Tokyo special edition to motivate buyers who cares? There seems to be huge demand in Japan anyway and what better way to inspire those buyers with a Tokyo edition? I love the mere thought of it!

If Lexus sold 450 LFAs and not 500, that still is an amazing feat. We are talking about a $375-$450,000 Lexus here.
Old 09-20-11, 08:31 AM
LexFather

And can we not post giant pics of the same pics please. (I've asked for automatic re-sizing software here years ago.....)
Old 09-20-11, 08:40 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by jpvarghese
Introductions of new and special models lead me to believe that sales weren't as good as we were told. Maybe I'm wrong.
it can go both ways. true lexus hasn't sold all, but having different special editions could be cool ways to attract buyers and continue to make the car interesting
Old 09-20-11, 08:45 AM
jpvarghese
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1SICKLEX, it is indeed spectacular that there is a market for six figure Japanese cars.
Old 09-20-11, 09:09 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by rominl
it can go both ways. true lexus hasn't sold all, but having different special editions could be cool ways to attract buyers and continue to make the car interesting

Originally Posted by jpvarghese
1SICKLEX, it is indeed spectacular that there is a market for six figure Japanese cars.
Its mind boggling when you think of it. I remember sticker shock seeing the LS 430 at 70k in 2001 or so...The LS 600h L was the first 100k Asian sedan and sold well at first and it still is bought, though in low numbers.

Then Lexus jumps to 375k, with nothing between it and the LS 600h L.

Correct me if I am wrong but the 3 priciest Asian cars..

1. LFA 375k
2. LS 600h L (or loaded LS 460) 100k-130k
3. LX570/Nissan GT R....85k

Contrarily the European brands simply dominate here, what 98-99% of the 80k+ market?
Old 09-20-11, 10:23 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

Its mind boggling when you think of it. I remember sticker shock seeing the LS 430 at 70k in 2001 or so...The LS 600h L was the first 100k Asian sedan and sold well at first and it still is bought, though in low numbers.

Then Lexus jumps to 375k, with nothing between it and the LS 600h L.

Correct me if I am wrong but the 3 priciest Asian cars..

1. LFA 375k
2. LS 600h L (or loaded LS 460) 100k-130k
3. LX570/Nissan GT R....85k

Contrarily the European brands simply dominate here, what 98-99% of the 80k+ market?
qx56 can also get up to mid 80s range. but yes, lexus is the only one who can afford to get up there for now. acura is rushing into a black hole already, infiniti got lost when they killed the q, losing a lot of traction with that. lexus continued relatively strong with the ls (always been) and that helped big time.
Old 09-20-11, 05:02 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

I don't buy this news. I guess I could check to see if any of the Lexus people have an official statement.

The pics that TF109B posted are just of the original prototype, as the CF roof was going to be unpainted. AutoArt even made a model of this original prototype LFA.

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
I read it will be offered in the same 500 LFAs. Not additional to those.

I wish they can create a GT2 version of the LFA instead of this cosmetic stuff.
I wouldn't mind Lexus making a track car. This could even be outside of the production run since it wouldn't be street legal.
Old 09-20-11, 07:08 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by gengar
I don't buy this news. I guess I could check to see if any of the Lexus people have an official statement.

The pics that TF109B posted are just of the original prototype, as the CF roof was going to be unpainted. AutoArt even made a model of this original prototype LFA.

I wouldn't mind Lexus making a track car. This could even be outside of the production run since it wouldn't be street legal.
i remember when you first ordered the car, you asked if it's possible to get exposed cf roof and they said no? at least i think someone asked

if that's the case and now this special edition (if true), then it seems like it's some new decision
Old 09-21-11, 10:27 AM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

But the question remains why they would charge for unpaintedd sections of the car? Unless theres more to it? Like the pictures I posted, this is nothing 'new' deserving of a special edition.

Quick Reply: Car magazine: Lexus LFA Tokyo Edition Planned