LFA Model (2012)

Lexus LFA: A lost decade and a sales dud

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-11, 02:45 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

imho 2 reasons

1) US is still arguably the biggest market lexus wants to hit on overall sales. so the image is important. they want to use the lfa as much as possible to push the brand name and image, give that wow factor until they further establish the f-line more. if they move too many cars to the local japanese market (especially), then it's relatively pointless where they already have such a strong brand loyalty

2) they have made way too much hints and claims about selling 171 cars here in the US (yeah, no official statement, i know. but i have we all have heard/seen too many hints from different directions). if they shift the allocations to elsewhere and any of the noise come out, it will be another negative thing that people can pick lexus on.

just my thinking. i think it's a tough call, i wish lexus could have done both. try to market the car differently, and also shift more allocations to other places. come to think about it, how come we haven't seen much new lfa deliveries in may?
Old 05-26-11, 03:07 PM
jpvarghese
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What, in everyone's opinion, could have Lexus done better in:
1.) the marketing of the LFA?
2.) the LFA product itself?
Old 05-26-11, 03:25 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

I always thought it was down to the last 10 or so allocations? Why are people still claiming that Lexus sold so little?
Old 05-26-11, 04:27 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by G Star
I always thought it was down to the last 10 or so allocations? Why are people still claiming that Lexus sold so little?
you have solid proof on that? coz' from the sales numbers (at least from what i was told), projection shows it's quite a bit short
Old 05-26-11, 07:34 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Originally Posted by jpvarghese
Definitely, high-grip aggressive tires. As already discussed, this alone yields a 5% improvement over street ultra high performance tires.

Originally Posted by rominl
you have solid proof on that? coz' from the sales numbers (at least from what i was told), projection shows it's quite a bit short
Well, the number was 20 about 3 months ago. I had been looking at Scott Pruett's twitter page regularly and he writes about it whenever he sells an LFA. I could count more than half a dozen LFAs that he "claims" to have sold in recent months.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 05-26-11 at 08:05 PM.
Old 05-26-11, 09:05 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
Hey, no I don't, I just had this in my head and clarification would be nice.

I don't agree with these sensationalist headlines/pieces either, not just because of the LFA, It is unfortunate to read unfair reviews about other cars.
Old 05-26-11, 09:40 PM
Marzabella
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I will concede that I have smidgen of disappointment that the LFA isn't the superlative in it's class in terms of technology or performance, but you have to consider the whole exercise as more than just building a car, but building reputation, expertise and distinguishing themselves from ¨just a fancy toyota¨. All the track days and performance tests should really just be considered advertising for the brand rather than the vehicle, the allegedly massive development budget as general R & D.
Old 05-26-11, 09:45 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

It has a lot of technology and engineering that no other production car has so yes, it is a technological marvel.

Originally Posted by Marzabella
I will concede that I have smidgen of disappointment that the LFA isn't the superlative in it's class in terms of technology or performance, but you have to consider the whole exercise as more than just building a car, but building reputation, expertise and distinguishing themselves from ¨just a fancy toyota¨. All the track days and performance tests should really just be considered advertising for the brand rather than the vehicle, the allegedly massive development budget as general R & D.
Old 05-26-11, 10:54 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by G Star
Hey, no I don't, I just had this in my head and clarification would be nice.

I don't agree with these sensationalist headlines/pieces either, not just because of the LFA, It is unfortunate to read unfair reviews about other cars.
nonono, my post wasn't a challenge. in fact i want to know the truth that's why i ask. i am always curious how the sales is. and as i mentioned before, quite a few points in the article aren't entirely true.

i also think this goes out to all brands, not just lexus. i have read plenty of bad / wrong reviews on cars from other brands too, lamborghini and ferrari included. go to different forums and you will likely see similar threads like this.
Old 05-27-11, 02:30 AM
DOC4LEX
Pole Position

@1sicklex hell yeah let them know what time it iz, the future is lexus period. i dont even argue with foes that don't do proper research in bashing other brands
Old 05-27-11, 05:00 AM
07grIS350
Lead Lap

US sales might have been better if none of this leasing constrain was place on the program from the beginning.
There should have been more prototypes available for demos in the US.
Old 05-27-11, 11:03 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

I still say it's the price, I think they should have priced it at half the current price and make , say 2000 of them & likely to have a much more positive response from the public . And before anyone mention they are losing money on every car they sell , I am not convinced they will lose much more money, if at all, by making 4 times as many cars and selling them at half the price , unless they can actually PROVE it by making public all the expenses of developing and manufacturing this car IN DETAILS , which I know they won't .
To have lots more actual owners that can actually get their hands on this car and appreciate the ownership experience first hand can do a lot more in promoting the brand and it's image than what they are doing right now with such a limited production , IMO ...
Old 05-27-11, 01:32 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
I still say it's the price, I think they should have priced it at half the current price and make , say 2000 of them & likely to have a much more positive response from the public . And before anyone mention they are losing money on every car they sell , I am not convinced they will lose much more money, if at all, by making 4 times as many cars and selling them at half the price , unless they can actually PROVE it by making public all the expenses of developing and manufacturing this car IN DETAILS , which I know they won't .
To have lots more actual owners that can actually get their hands on this car and appreciate the ownership experience first hand can do a lot more in promoting the brand and it's image than what they are doing right now with such a limited production , IMO ...
on the cost, it really depends on how they calculate it. if they put the cost of the looming machine and other stuff including r&d costs (big portion of the bill) into the cost of lfa, hell yeah the lfa is losing a lot of money. but a lot of these actually goes a long way into their future cars, it will get "cheaper" and "cheaper"
Old 05-27-11, 02:40 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Glad you asked.
Many may disagree but I think instead of 500 cars for roughly 400K, why not 1000 or 1500 cars for 200K. 1500 cars with a limited monthly production would still ensure exclusivity. The 200K price tag would ensure sales success. Heck, they might even break even if they sold more than 1500 cars over a 5 year span with periodic updates.

It may be a wonderful car but if no one buys it...it will be labled a failure. That's how it's done in our society.
Old 05-27-11, 03:06 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

So many think certain details of the LFA is a failure, you think Toyota execs are hiding in their corner offices pounding down sake to drown their sorrows?

Come on now...

It doesn't even make sense to lower the price and raise production. Look at the R8, it goes nearly $200k and isn't limited in production. How does it even make sense for the LFA to lower it's price to $200k and limit production? Lexus set themselves apart on this one whether you guys like it or not. I'm glad it is limited to 500 units, who says Lexus isn't going to make a sports car in the relevant future?

Quick Reply: Lexus LFA: A lost decade and a sales dud