LFA Model (2012)

Best Motoring Fuji Teaser: '12 GTR vs Lexus LFA vs ZR-1 vs F430 Scuderia vs GT2 RS

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-11, 01:45 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the last line of defense for the LFA would possibly be that no one there knows how to launch it well, and that both the time attack and the race start with the cars standing and the LFA lost a lot of time getting off the line. Otherwise it simply doesn't make sense that the ZR-1 and the F430 would be trailing so so far behind the leading group (of the GT-R, LFA and GT2 RS) in the video after beating the LFA in time attack.
Old 04-06-11, 01:53 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Isn't the time attack using a flying start??? Atleast that is what I have seen in other videos.

Even if the launch was screwed up, if it is the typical 5-lap battle then the launch differences are insignificant as if LFA is truly a better performer, it should be able to reel the cars back in without any problems.

Originally Posted by ydooby
I think the last line of defense for the LFA would possibly be that no one there knows how to launch it well, and that both the time attack and the race start with the cars standing and the LFA lost a lot of time getting off the line. Otherwise it simply doesn't make sense that the ZR-1 and the F430 would be trailing so so far behind the leading group (of the GT-R, LFA and GT2 RS) in the video after beating the LFA in time attack.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 04-06-11 at 03:18 PM.
Old 04-06-11, 04:31 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

I think at this point it's beyond excuses really. How do you lose in a time attack vs a Z06/ZR1 and a 430 Scuderia? On your HOME track?
Old 04-06-11, 05:13 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

How about let us just wait for the facts. Do we know when this video is being released?
Old 04-06-11, 10:51 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by G Star
How about let us just wait for the facts. Do we know when this video is being released?
Well, the video and the picture gives enough clues combined with the info that time attack was used for starting grid positions. It is very very alarming that LFA lost the single-lap time attack on such a huge 4.6 KM track where it was born and bred as well as it carries the name in its badge. It is far more familiar to that track than any other car in the pack.

All people are saying that it has been 1.5 years of sporadic tests of the LFA and still there is not sufficient proof yet that it truly performs like one of the greatest super performance car in a straight line or around the track. There was always benefit of the doubt present all along. Whether it was lack of launch control or pre-production tires or an unfinished product in the form of a prototype.

With 3 months already in production and everything finalized, it is about time that Lexus needs to start walking the talk that they paraded for years about the lightweight, engineering, dynamics and capabilities. All these things are just means to an end. The end being supreme dynamic performance unless Lexus has something completely different on its mind.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 04-06-11 at 10:58 PM.
Old 04-07-11, 07:23 AM
07grIS350
Lead Lap

Regardless of the outcome for the LFA, I am most interested in the final analysis and comments by the drivers. This should validate what I have heard from the pros at Infineon.
I remembered in one episode that the GT-R did well, but they said the car was fast but too heavy and did not feel like a race car. This was when the GT-R just came out in North America. I tried to look it up without success.
Old 04-07-11, 12:41 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhNi7pljEqw
there you go its misleading from the angle but LFA was right there with it.
Old 04-07-11, 03:21 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TF109B
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhNi7pljEqw
there you go its misleading from the angle but LFA was right there with it.
Thanks for posting the video. But where's the GT2 RS in this video when the LFA is running side by side with the GT-R? Is it that far ahead of--or behind--the two to the point that we can't even see it throughout the entire 14-second clip? If so, that's either a good 10-second lead or a 10-second gap between the GT2 RS and the two cars! Makes me think that the footage is actually of a separate race between just the LFA and GT-R, not to be included in the show perhaps.

Last edited by ydooby; 04-07-11 at 03:24 PM.
Old 04-07-11, 06:56 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Interesting. Yeah, looks like a separate race since no other car is around them.

I also was baffled at how the ZR-1 was getting beaten so badly??

Originally Posted by ydooby
Thanks for posting the video. But where's the GT2 RS in this video when the LFA is running side by side with the GT-R? Is it that far ahead of--or behind--the two to the point that we can't even see it throughout the entire 14-second clip? If so, that's either a good 10-second lead or a 10-second gap between the GT2 RS and the two cars! Makes me think that the footage is actually of a separate race between just the LFA and GT-R, not to be included in the show perhaps.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 04-07-11 at 08:00 PM.
Old 04-07-11, 09:29 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

It's all up to drivers, some guys are good in some cars, and then not good in other cars. Ya know? Who knows who's piloting the LFA? Could be some average joe that's never driven the LFA before.
Old 04-08-11, 01:03 AM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
The end being supreme dynamic performance unless Lexus has something completely different on its mind.
I've rebutted you many times on this point - I just don't see how anyone can possibly argue that dynamic performance can be determined just by lap times. It is incredibly fallacious given some of the lap time results from cars lacking in most dynamic measurements, most commonly cars with a ton of horsepower resulting in high straight-line acceleration but very poor dynamics in other categories.

If you truly believe vehicle dynamics can in fact be determined just from lap times, then you are certainly a fan of the wrong car, and the contradictory nature of your personal belief and choice of vehicle to idolize is a very stark dichotomy that will not be resolved no matter what lap time the LFA winds up achieving - because lap times were never the basis for the LFA design. There's really nothing else to say on this point.

Originally Posted by TF109B
It's all up to drivers, some guys are good in some cars, and then not good in other cars. Ya know? Who knows who's piloting the LFA? Could be some average joe that's never driven the LFA before.
I don't think any of the BM presenters could be considered an "average joe". Most of them are JGTC/Super GT pros if not winners/champs. Kinosh-ta and Iida for example are frequently on the program. Certainly it'd be nice if one of them piloted the LFA during the episode.
Old 04-08-11, 12:14 PM
07grIS350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by gengar
I've rebutted you many times on this point - I just don't see how anyone can possibly argue that dynamic performance can be determined just by lap times. It is incredibly fallacious given some of the lap time results from cars lacking in most dynamic measurements, most commonly cars with a ton of horsepower resulting in high straight-line acceleration but very poor dynamics in other categories.

If you truly believe vehicle dynamics can in fact be determined just from lap times, then you are certainly a fan of the wrong car, and the contradictory nature of your personal belief and choice of vehicle to idolize is a very stark dichotomy that will not be resolved no matter what lap time the LFA winds up achieving - because lap times were never the basis for the LFA design. There's really nothing else to say on this point.

I don't think any of the BM presenters could be considered an "average joe". Most of them are JGTC/Super GT pros if not winners/champs. Kinosh-ta and Iida for example are frequently on the program. Certainly it'd be nice if one of them piloted the LFA during the episode.
Agree
So far the only real LFA track time superiority is in endurance races. Lexus does not even care to boast about it.
Old 04-08-11, 01:44 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

average joes compared to LFA pilots, i'd say so. Unless they have 1 of their drivers. I think any of the cars will take some getting used to, especially if never drove before.
Old 04-22-11, 07:30 AM
Celsius
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you guys see this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46Tm2...layer_embedded
Old 04-22-11, 11:47 AM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Celsius
I did since im Subscribed to them on youtube.
At first i was like Then i was like and then i was like oh ya

Still love the LFA though.

Quick Reply: Best Motoring Fuji Teaser: '12 GTR vs Lexus LFA vs ZR-1 vs F430 Scuderia vs GT2 RS