rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts
Default Lexus LFA – More Than Just On Paper and The Drive

Two articles have been posted on Club Lexus front page on the Lexus LFA

Lexus LFA - More Than Just On Paper

Lexus LFA - The Drive

Please feel free to discuss the articles here

Last edited by rominl; 03-04-11 at 11:09 AM.
Old 03-04-11, 12:32 PM
07grIS350
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I liked your articles, especially the Drive one. I am actually a bit relief to hear that the LFA is not too loud at normal city speed. I guess this is the driving mode for enjoying soft music from the ML system.
Old 03-04-11, 12:38 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by 07grIS350
I liked your articles, especially the Drive one. I am actually a bit relief to hear that the LFA is not too loud at normal city speed. I guess this is the driving mode for enjoying soft music from the ML system.
yes, not loud at all. i think it's quite amazing how they did it so it can be so mild, and when you kick up the notch, it screams. i think the exhaust valve design is awesome
Old 03-04-11, 01:23 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by rominl
yes, not loud at all. i think it's quite amazing how they did it so it can be so mild, and when you kick up the notch, it screams. i think the exhaust valve design is awesome

The data file I have shows two key things here, which attribute to make it a very "likeable" daily driver...

For the Intake System:

The LFA (similiar to the IS-F) benefits from a Dual Stage Intake system, which has secondary ports or doors that flip open at 3,000 Rpms...
However, the LFA has TWO of these Dual stage intake boxes, while the IS-F only has the one.

For the Exhaust System:

The LFA also has the benefits of that Dual Stage Valve Actuated system, for the rear Muffler section, which also remains closed below 3,000 Rpms...

Both of these systems work together to give you a very manageable drive under 3,000 Rpms...

BUT above it, it truly is a whole different game!!!

I have been researching both of these systems closely.

Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 03-04-11 at 01:28 PM.
Old 03-04-11, 01:37 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

lol, someone has something in mind
Old 03-04-11, 01:47 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Hey rominl (and this question can also go to anyone who has driven the car to simulate street driving, like motohide) - I'm hoping Lexus didn't do anything with the transmission to simulate automatic torque converter "creep" (i.e., car in drive, release brakes, it creeps forward even without throttle application) like Ferrari did with the DCT in the California?
Old 03-04-11, 01:51 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

NOP, absolutely nothing like that. If you put the car in gear and let go of brakes, car will just sit there (if it's flat surface). In fact, the instructor had to told me specifically that's the case. He said some people freak out the car doesn't move when let go of brakes.

I very much prefer this setup. Give me more feeling that I am driving a manual

i suppose if i am on uphill and let go of brakes, car might roll back?

Last edited by rominl; 03-04-11 at 01:59 PM.
Old 03-05-11, 01:45 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

NOP, absolutely nothing like that. If you put the car in gear and let go of brakes, car will just sit there (if it's flat surface). In fact, the instructor had to told me specifically that's the case. He said some people freak out the car doesn't move when let go of brakes.

I very much prefer this setup. Give me more feeling that I am driving a manual
Yeah, same - I'm glad to hear this. I was shocked Ferrari introduced it on the DCT for the California. From what I understand, they didn't do it for the 458. Guess it shows what they think of the California......

i suppose if i am on uphill and let go of brakes, car might roll back?
Probably not - most single clutches have mechanisms to prevent rolling backwards in neutral (or at least not very far - I think I read somewhere that BMW's earlier SMG I rolled backwards a fraction of an inch).
Old 03-05-11, 03:10 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Yep. I can confirm the SMGII and SMGIII both had uphill assist mode where it will hold for about 5 seconds uphill, if you let go of the brakes.

Ofcourse, even in the 6 speed manual BMWs, the uphill assist is included as a feature where you don't have to use the e-brake to hold the car from rolling back when you are modulating the clutch with the throttle to start.

Originally Posted by gengar
Probably not - most single clutches have mechanisms to prevent rolling backwards in neutral (or at least not very far - I think I read somewhere that BMW's earlier SMG I rolled backwards a fraction of an inch).
Old 03-05-11, 04:02 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by gengar
Yeah, same - I'm glad to hear this. I was shocked Ferrari introduced it on the DCT for the California. From what I understand, they didn't do it for the 458. Guess it shows what they think of the California......

i can't understand why they would want to put that in either.

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Yep. I can confirm the SMGII and SMGIII both had uphill assist mode where it will hold for about 5 seconds uphill, if you let go of the brakes.

Ofcourse, even in the 6 speed manual BMWs, the uphill assist is included as a feature where you don't have to use the e-brake to hold the car from rolling back when you are modulating the clutch with the throttle to start.
yes, even my 6mt m3 has the hill assist but it's only a few seconds. iirc, when i was at the m school driving the m3 dct, it was put in 1st, stopped, and i let go of brakes. after a while the car started to roll back and no sign of stopping. so i wonder if that's the case on lfa (stop for a few secs and roll back) or not?
Old 03-05-11, 04:23 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Actually, I think M-DCT has the same feature as well, but probably you have to activate it through holding the shift lever forward or something.

yes, even my 6mt m3 has the hill assist but it's only a few seconds. iirc, when i was at the m school driving the m3 dct, it was put in 1st, stopped, and i let go of brakes. after a while the car started to roll back and no sign of stopping. so i wonder if that's the case on lfa (stop for a few secs and roll back) or not?
Old 03-05-11, 04:40 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Actually, I think M-DCT has the same feature as well, but probably you have to activate it through holding the shift lever forward or something.
same feature you mean what? hill assist? yes it has. but only for a few seconds i believe, just like the 6mt
Old 03-05-11, 05:44 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

same feature you mean what? hill assist? yes it has. but only for a few seconds i believe, just like the 6mt
Yes. I think it is for a few seconds.