LFA Model (2012)

Lexus LFA Nürburgring Package to Debut at Geneva Auto Show (March 3rd, 2011)

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-11, 03:42 PM
Mister Two
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jpvarghese
Personally, I think that if the LFA had the right 'numbers', there wouldn't be such a fuss about it. I know its beating a dead horse and I don't care for such statistics, but it is important nonetheless.
Totally. I bet that no one would even question the value of the LFA if the sub-7:20 'Ring time were officially true. The numbers will speak for themselves to those who aren't fortunate enough to experience the LFA first-hand (i.e. 99%+ of us).
Old 02-28-11, 04:09 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So if the LFA really made 652hp it would be worth it? Everyone thought the new MP4 would make 620hp, turns out it makes 590! What happened there? It's all speculation amongst fans and automotive sites and blogs that make up the false information about cars. When asked if there was going be a 'faster LFA' the chief engineer said he can't comment on that now, but there is the Nurburgring edition. To me that sounds like they have plans for another car should they see the desire or maybe even the demand. Why make only one supercar? If the LFA is a very good first effort and hangs with the best of them right now, Imagine what a successor or 'sequel' to the LFA would be like!
Old 02-28-11, 04:17 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Those who hate the LFA in real life or exotic owners who feel the LFA is "not worth it" have already made up their minds. Even an official 'Ring time below 7:20 would not change their minds.

A great official 'Ring time would only reduce criticism from internet people, not in the real world among critics that can actually afford an LFA.

We are seeing more and more however that the LFA was not targeted primarily at existing exotic owners; it is attracting a lot of people that never owned an exotic before, and therefore is expanding the market.
Old 02-28-11, 04:21 PM
jpvarghese
Lexus Test Driver

Numbers could mean a number of things, not just hp figures. Weight, acceleration, comprehensive track times, price, and so forth. It would be nice to see successors, but it all comes at a cost. Some companies can get away with it. Others can't and Lexus is one of them. No matter how great the product is, Lexus was always known for its relative value.
Old 02-28-11, 04:26 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Numbers could mean a number of things, not just hp figures. Weight, acceleration, comprehensive track times, price, and so forth. It would be nice to see successors, but it all comes at a cost. Some companies can get away with it. Others can't and Lexus is one of them. No matter how great the product is, Lexus was always known for its relative value.
This is the exotic supercar market we're talking about. Value for the most part is thrown out the window. Value becomes completely individualistic, as each buyer in the exotic supercar market has different views of what "value" means. Certain elements become priceless to certain people. Some buy an exotic supercar just on how it sounds alone. I've heard of a gentleman in the US that years ago bought an Enzo simply based on how different it looked and how the engine sounded.

With that said, the LFA still maintains good "relative" value compared to other supercars when you look at the LFA as a whole. Not just in terms of performance, but craftsmanship, quality, attention to detail, and reliability (which from track events so far has been shown to be exemplary).
Old 02-28-11, 04:30 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, Scott Pruett has even stated that he has 10,000-12,000 miles on one of the Prototypes, with 99% of that on track. Still flogging it around, putting down the laps, wheeling people around posting youtube videos. Relative Value is a joke. Where is that with the Ferrari's? Unless you have super low mileage or some limited edition Ferrari, they still lose value as well. Lamborghini does also. I don't think any exotic retains it's value unless it was a limited edition example. Enzo, Carrera GT etc. I bet you in a few years the LFA retains it's value. Could well increase.
Old 02-28-11, 04:32 PM
jpvarghese
Lexus Test Driver

You're right, but don't you see the curveball here? Looking at the supercars just coming out, the same emphasis on what makes the Lexus great is going to be there. Supercars and exotics have changed alot from their past horrors.
Old 02-28-11, 04:33 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TF109B
Yeah, Scott Pruett has even stated that he has 10,000-12,000 miles on one of the Prototypes, with 99% of that on track. Still flogging it around, putting down the laps, wheeling people around posting youtube videos. Relative Value is a joke. Where is that with the Ferrari's? Unless you have super low mileage or some limited edition Ferrari, they still lose value as well. Lamborghini does also. I don't think any exotic retains it's value unless it was a limited edition example. Enzo, Carrera GT etc. I bet you in a few years the LFA retains it's value. Could well increase.
Yeah, the concept of "value" just becomes completely subjective in this market segment. If we look at it logically though, the LFA still maintains a good "relative" value to other supercars.
Old 02-28-11, 04:34 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

You're right, but don't you see the curveball here? Looking at the supercars just coming out, the same emphasis on what makes the Lexus great is going to be there. Supercars and exotics have changed alot from their past horrors.
http://www.autoblog.com/2010/09/01/f...led-fire-risk/
Old 02-28-11, 04:36 PM
Mister Two
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Those who hate the LFA in real life or exotic owners who feel the LFA is "not worth it" have already made up their minds. Even an official 'Ring time below 7:20 would not change their minds.

A great official 'Ring time would only reduce criticism from internet people, not in the real world among critics that can actually afford an LFA.

We are seeing more and more however that the LFA was not targeted primarily at existing exotic owners; it is attracting a lot of people that never owned an exotic before, and therefore is expanding the market.
The problem is 500 isn't exactly "a lot". For the kind of money they've poured into the LFA they'd better find ways to convince more than the 500 owners that the car is really something special to make their marketing dollars worthwhile. And believe me there are "a lot" of people on the Internet who can be convinced with numbers if the numbers are right, and those are the people who can be potentially be buying Lexus's future performance cars because of Lexus's elevated performance image.

Anyway, I know it's a dead horse beaten death but I need to bring it up again from time to time just in case someone at Lexus is actually listening.
Old 02-28-11, 04:36 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Really? Do you have some sort of crystal ball that allows you to see the future?

How can you be so sure that future exotics/supercars will have the same emphasis on craftsmanship, quality, attention to detail, and reliability as the LFA does?

Looking at the new Lambo Aventador, it is obvious Lambo had different priorities when developing and designing the Aventador compared to the priorities Lexus had with the LFA.

Of course it's still too early to say, but it certainly looks like the LFA has single-handedly raised the bar for supercars (excluding the Veyron) in terms of quality, reliability, craftsmanship, and attention to detail.

Lexus has publically stated that they expect the LFA to be as reliable as any other Lexus. The LFA warranty most importantly is the same as any other Lexus. For the LFA to be as reliable as any other Lexus, well that is simply unheard of in the exotic supercar market, even looking at the latest and newest supercars out there.

Last edited by TRDFantasy; 02-28-11 at 04:42 PM.
Old 02-28-11, 04:44 PM
jpvarghese
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Really? Do you have some sort of crystal ball that allows you to see the future?

How can you be so sure that future exotics/supercars will have the same emphasis on craftsmanship, quality, attention to detail, and reliability as the LFA does?
Trends are showing just that. Each successive model is getting better than the one it replaces in areas of quality and reliability. Craftmanship and attention to detail I cannot speak for as that seems to come with boutique, bespoke cars.
Old 02-28-11, 04:45 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mister Two
The problem is 500 isn't exactly "a lot". For the kind of money they've poured into the LFA they'd better find ways to convince more than the 500 owners that the car is really something special to make their marketing dollars worthwhile. And believe me there are "a lot" of people on the Internet who can be convinced with numbers if the numbers are right, and those are the people who can be potentially be buying Lexus's future performance cars because of Lexus's elevated performance image.

Anyway, I know it's a dead horse beaten death but I need to bring it up again from time to time just in case someone at Lexus is actually listening.
In the exotic supercar market, yes 500 people is a lot, especially if most of them have never owned an exotic or supercar before. Expanding this market by 500 people is significant. Also we have plenty of reports that in many markets outside the US there was more demand than supply for the LFA. We can then assume that over 500 people seriously wanted to purchase an LFA worldwide, but the supply is strictly limited to 500.

What you mention is an entirely different discussion.
Old 02-28-11, 04:55 PM
jpvarghese
Lexus Test Driver

There is a fix, but as a current Lexus owner, I never had to fear of spontaneous issues. Point taken.
Old 02-28-11, 04:56 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Trends are showing just that. Each successive model is getting better than the one it replaces in areas of quality and reliability. Craftmanship and attention to detail I cannot speak for as that seems to come with boutique, bespoke cars.
You explicitly mentioned that "the same emphasis on what makes the Lexus great is going to be there."

You did not talk about general trends, you specifically included the LFA as a point of comparison.

Yes in terms of general trends, supercars do improve in many areas.

However I ask again, HOW do you know future supercars will match the LFA in terms of quality and reliability, as well as craftsmanship and attention to detail? I'm not asking about general trends of improvement, but specifically how they will match up with the LFA.

Lambo currently offers a basic bumper-to-bumper warranty of 3 years, and a powertrain warranty of 3 years. Lambo also offers only a 3 year corrosion warranty. Ferrari has the same warranty; everything is covered for only 3 years.

Lexus for the LFA offers a bumper-to-bumper warranty of 4 years and a powertrain warranty of 6 years. Lexus also offers a corrosion warranty of 6 years. The LFA warranty is the same as every other Lexus.

Quick Reply: Lexus LFA Nürburgring Package to Debut at Geneva Auto Show (March 3rd, 2011)