LFA Model (2012)

Lexus LFA Nürburgring Package to Debut at Geneva Auto Show (March 3rd, 2011)

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-11, 10:57 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Two
+100000000000

If the car is all about handling, Lexus, stop telling us those boring straightline numbers and give us the stats that really matter!! It's not like you don't have them!

It's sad to see that with all the handling and weight saving upgrades the Nurburgring Edition receives the only performance stat that Lexus can show to the world is that it can still accelerate from 0 to 60 in 3.7 secs... as fast as the regular LFA!! Woo hoo!!
agreed. and in some way i was pretty surprised to read that during the lfa driving school, they are going to drag the car to 1/4 mile and brake? i don't think the lfa is known as a drag car. i would rather they focus more on driving dynamics, handling, and track.
Old 02-23-11, 11:21 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

True. However, straight line acceleration is still a part of the equation for a proper well rounded sports car. Otherwise, cars like RX8 with great chassis, suspension, balance and feedback, but poor acceleration would be considered better than cars like 370Z, 135i etc. that have a lot more straight line acceleration alongside the handling stuff.

Though, Lexus LFA does not need to be a Bugatti in a straight line, the owners should really know how quick it is in a straight line.

I would say, if it goes 0-60 mph in 3.2 - 3.3 secs and 1/4 mile in 11.1 - 11.3 seconds with launch control in the dry, though it is not earth shattering, it atleast proves it has all the straight line prowess necessary for track hotlaps.

Originally Posted by rominl
agreed. and in some way i was pretty surprised to read that during the lfa driving school, they are going to drag the car to 1/4 mile and brake? i don't think the lfa is known as a drag car. i would rather they focus more on driving dynamics, handling, and track.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 02-23-11 at 11:29 AM.
Old 02-23-11, 11:32 AM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by MR_F1
I wonder if those seats will be offered in the US Spec ring edition? I seem to recall reading that they would not be for whatever safety reason.....
The reason stated was some vague problem about incompatibility of racing seats with the seatbelt with built-in airbag. I suppose they could either drop the seatbelt airbag or find some other workaround....

Originally Posted by rominl
Even in the brochure it was mentioned as a means of driver acclimation to the car. I mean, I don't consider the IS F a drag race oriented vehicle either, but I've done plenty of straight line runs with heavy braking just to figure out characteristics like weight balance changes.

Last edited by gengar; 02-23-11 at 12:30 PM.
Old 02-23-11, 12:21 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm wondering if I can post these extra large images here? I think I will wait for permission, or maybe make a new thread with extra large images of the LFA. That'd be a better option.
Old 02-23-11, 02:03 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
True. However, straight line acceleration is still a part of the equation for a proper well rounded sports car. Otherwise, cars like RX8 with great chassis, suspension, balance and feedback, but poor acceleration would be considered better than cars like 370Z, 135i etc. that have a lot more straight line acceleration alongside the handling stuff.

Though, Lexus LFA does not need to be a Bugatti in a straight line, the owners should really know how quick it is in a straight line.

I would say, if it goes 0-60 mph in 3.2 - 3.3 secs and 1/4 mile in 11.1 - 11.3 seconds with launch control in the dry, though it is not earth shattering, it atleast proves it has all the straight line prowess necessary for track hotlaps.
Originally Posted by gengar
The reason stated was some vague problem about incompatibility of racing seats with the seatbelt with built-in airbag. I suppose they could either drop the seatbelt airbag or find some other workaround....

Even in the brochure it was mentioned as a means of driver acclimation to the car. I mean, I don't consider the IS F a drag race oriented vehicle either, but I've done plenty of straight line runs with heavy braking just to figure out characteristics like weight balance changes.
i absolutely agree it's still an acclimation and a noticeable part of overall performance. sorry if in any way i sounded like i was diminishing its value. but i mainly saying for the track day, only so much could be covered and what i think would be more important imho. if you ask me, to do the acceleration and braking, a good way would be to have a quick race between the 3 cars and see who can do 0-100-0 fastest
Old 02-23-11, 07:29 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

So lets make a guesstimate of what the weight reductions will be. Seeing as how the doors are all carbon, the Alcantara is abundant with leather only on the steering wheel and door handles. Carbon fiber in place of metal in the center console. Carbon Fiber bucket seats instead of the plush original power seats. Lightweight forged (magnesium?) wheels. Fixed Carbon Fiber wing.

What do you guys think the weights would be added up? I think the main thing will be the seats and all the alcantara instead of leather. Don't know the weight of the original seats, but I'm assuming the total weight savings is over 100lbs.
Old 02-23-11, 07:38 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i wish they would put this on uk topgear for a power lap.
Old 02-23-11, 08:38 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

They don't want to make the european cars look slow, so they probably wont. Probably another reason why they had the regular LFA there on a rainy day haha.
Old 02-24-11, 08:59 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Thumbs up

Enjoy this Video of the Nürburgring Packaged LFA un-loading....
  • First exclusive footage of the Lexus LFA Nürburgring Package being started and unloaded for it's first photoshoot in Tokyo, Japan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jisrdwuJkOU

Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 02-24-11 at 09:03 AM.
Old 02-24-11, 01:05 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Only about a week left before we see live shots of it. I wish they would have brought it in white though. I like orange, but I think white offset with the color of carbon fiber would be killer. Besides all that, I'm more interested in the weight loss and the times that are really achievable with this thing. 3.7 to 100kmh is conservative, considering LC and stickier tires are on this thing.
Old 02-24-11, 01:34 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

It looks seriously awesome!
Old 02-24-11, 02:07 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

i love this orange color
Old 02-25-11, 03:49 AM
jpvarghese
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
This is not realistic. 0.5 second off to 60 mph from Lexus' claimed time in factory trim? I know you are basing this off the R8 drag race video too, which IMO is not a good way to make an estimate.

Originally Posted by TF109B
What do you guys think the weights would be added up? I think the main thing will be the seats and all the alcantara instead of leather. Don't know the weight of the original seats, but I'm assuming the total weight savings is over 100lbs.
Alcantara and leather are essentially "skins" over surfaces. They don't offer any real weight benefits, especially if one is used in place of the other. The majority of the weight savings would come from the wheels, fixed wing, seats, and paneling. It's not like Lexus added anything significant in weight in the standard car anyways. I'm assuming 60-70 lbs, tops.

Originally Posted by TF109B
3.7 to 100kmh is conservative, considering LC and stickier tires are on this thing.
Focusing on 0-60 is not really important. High revving engines have never been good at these type of tests. Why can't we let these times go and focus more on what it does on tracks?
Old 02-25-11, 07:11 AM
LexFather

^^ I think with launch control it is possible.
Old 02-25-11, 07:17 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
^^ I think with launch control it is possible.
Thank you, sicklex. Lexus says 3.6 seconds was tested without launch control system and with two people on board (source: Lexus LFA home page). Absolutely I believe Lexus LFA is easily low-11s with proper launch control system and good dry traction.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 02-25-11 at 07:24 AM.

Quick Reply: Lexus LFA Nürburgring Package to Debut at Geneva Auto Show (March 3rd, 2011)